Theories about Auxiliary

Zibus

1 hour ago, HSuperLee said:

What I find most interesting is that in the ending conversation with Hoid, Nomad specifically mentions that "my oaths ended, and I realized that destinations really are important". Now, what's most interesting about that to me is not that he says his oaths broke, but ended. The term suggests that somehow he "reached the end of their lifespan" so to speak. He also says that he expected the oaths to override the Torments ability to deny him weapons.

This is an intriguing take. Alternatively, what if because of something that happens in SA5 oaths ... just aren't a thing anymore. What if the whole radiant-level system of control on Shardblades and Surgebinding goes by the wayside. What if it's just left up to the individual spren now whether they want to turn into a weapon. And the way to get your hands on on a Shard-weapon is to become a squire to a spren. There is this line:

“Aux!” he shouted.  “I need a Blade!  Transform!”

I’m not the one holding you back on that count, Nomad.

There are no active oaths, but Aux could still become a weapon if it weren't for Sigzil's Torment.

1 hour ago, RedBlue said:

The Connection thing is especially weird. Usually, the Radiant uses the Surges, and the spren cheers them on. Syl never uses Lashings - that’s Kaladin’s job. So is this a reversed bond? Aux taking the role of the Knight Radiant, and Sigzil taking the spren’s role? Has Aux sworn oaths? Does any of this make sense???

Syl does play tricks with adhesion from time to time.

4 minutes ago, mdross81 said:

Alternatively, what if because of something that happens in SA5 oaths ... just aren't a thing anymore. What if the whole radiant-level system of control on Shardblades and Surgebinding goes by the wayside.

I'm inclined to think it's more of a Sigzil-specific thing. Because if huge sweeping and shocking changes to the nature of Surgebinding as a result of the events of SA5 was a thing that was important to the events this book, I don't think Brandon would be recommending we read this book before SA5. 

2 hours ago, HSuperLee said:

What I find most interesting is that in the ending conversation with Hoid, Nomad specifically mentions that "my oaths ended, and I realized that destinations really are important". Now, what's most interesting about that to me is not that he says his oaths broke, but ended. The term suggests that somehow he "reached the end of their lifespan" so to speak. He also says that he expected the oaths to override the Torments ability to deny him weapons. Add to that the fact Aux is becoming multiple pieces of metal with seemingly no effect, I think Nomad has become something more than a Radiant, not less. I don't think he broke his oaths. At least not at first. Rather, he somehow grew beyond their power to help him. What's interesting though is that he was still able to manifest a proper shardblade when he was completely and totally focused on protecting someone who could not protect themselves, which indicates that at a spiritual level, remnants of the oath still exist with enough power to override some aspects of the Torment.

Perhaps becoming a dawnshard did something to his oaths. Perhaps he was even forced to break them because we know it is dangerous for a Dawnshard to bond a spren.

Edited by bmcclure7

3 hours ago, RedBlue said:

The Connection thing is especially weird. Usually, the Radiant uses the Surges, and the spren cheers them on. Syl never uses Lashings - that’s Kaladin’s job. So is this a reversed bond? Aux taking the role of the Knight Radiant, and Sigzil taking the spren’s role? Has Aux sworn oaths? Does any of this make sense???

Oh this gave me an idea. This whole thing is starting to smell like some sort of Identity shenanigans to me, or some sort of spirit web hacking. Could Sigzil have undergone some sort of "surgery" to swap some bits of his identity/self with Hoid, like a transplant/donor situation? Because we know:

1. Sigzil saved Hoid by becoming this way

2. Sigzil seems to suffer some of Hoid's afflictions now (the prohibition on violence) but also has some of his abilities maybe (hard to kill/regen, Connection, etc)

3. Sigs oaths "ended" and his spren is now the knight not him

If someone has a spren bond and you modify their Identity could that cut out their oaths? "What oaths?"

Could it edit the spren as well in the process? A 3 way exchange because they were already bonded/enmeshed?

I like this idea partly because it could fit thematically with the story we are seeing so far. Sigzil has a different name, even talks about being a different man in the past.

Edited by Dreamwa1ker

7 hours ago, Myuken said:

Skipping doesn't seem like a Spren Surge. Transportation seems to mainly allow transfer between Physical and Cognitive. Skipping from what we've seen is Physical-Physical but from planets to planets. If I had to guess that's a Dawnshard ability.

I don't think we should discount Transportation allowing transfer via the Spiritual Realm. Given a few facts.

1. The way Oathgates work are not how Jasnah's Elsecall works, despite them being Transportation fabrials. That means there is stuff about the Surge we do not know of. 

2. Traveling to the Spiritual Realm is possible. Brandon has said that Hoid has done it. If we could find any logic of how someone can instantly teleport between two locations like the Oathgates with what we know of Transportation. I'd say going with the Spiritual Realm would be the bet, since location isn't a thing there. There are probably some caveats of needing Connection between two points thus why Oathgates can move between themselves but not to anywhere. That is at least my theory.

That said, I don't think what Nomad is doing is using Transportation. I do think he is Skipping with the Spiritual Realm but not through the Surge.

2 hours ago, iceblade44 said:

That said, I don't think what Nomad is doing is using Transportation. I do think he is Skipping with the Spiritual Realm but not through the Surge.

Quite possible... but then why don't we see Hoid use this same method? He seems to need perpendicularities to worldhop like everyone else. At least he did in Mistborn Era 1.

But yeah, like you mentioned the surges work differently for each order, basically depending on what other surge they're paired with. This is why Dalinar can't fly around with adhesion the same way Kaladin can.

1 minute ago, Zibus said:

Quite possible... but then why don't we see Hoid use this same method? He seems to need perpendicularities to worldhop like everyone else. At least he did in Mistborn Era 1.

But yeah, like you mentioned the surges work differently for each order, basically depending on what other surge they're paired with. This is why Dalinar can't fly around with adhesion the same way Kaladin can.

I feel if my theory is right, it would most certainly have limitations of how it functions. Either a large cost or you can't decide where to go, you must need another factor (which i proposed as Connection). Stuff like that.

8 hours ago, Zibus said:

Gravitation is for flying, not Adhesion. And Dalinar doesnt have it.

On 24.3.2022 at 9:32 PM, lingcomposer said:

I agree re: the possibility of a Seon being the bonded Invested entity, or maybe a Skaze. Perhaps a tie to Dominion would allow a manipulation of Connection like we're seeing here.

What is the fundamental distinction between a Cognitive Shadow and a spren or seon? It is historic, isn't it? The Shadow is Investiture shaped by a previously existing full soul. The others aren't. But is that a distinction that is more fundamental than the difference between a spren, a seon or a skaze? They are all sentient or sapient pieces of Investiture. Investiture can be turned into metal,

I don't think Auxiliary is an Honorspren, tbqh, or at least not anymore if it was. The surges don't match up, and it's not only not mindless without the oaths, but using powers on its own which even 'alive' spren can't do with the exception of bondsmith spren, and some of the unmade. Possibly Nightwatcher or Sja-Anat further altered his spren beyond the breaking of oaths? Otherwise it could be some next gen Awakened weapon and he has delusions about it being his old spren in the same way that he assumed Kal when the connection was set up - the knight and squire stuff is certainly weird and could be a side effect of a delusional and grieving ex-radiant Awakening an object.

• 2 months later...
On 5/31/2022 at 9:27 AM, SecondPlace said:

Is it possible that when Sigzil refers to his oaths  as ending he means that some part of his spirit-web was manipulated by a bondsmith or something and his oaths were removed?

This is the kind of shenanigans I was thinking of - some sort of spirit web surgery. Perhaps involving some transplantation. And with Sigzil and his spren already being enmeshed due to their oaths, changes to him changed the spren in some unexpected ways too perhaps.

On 3/24/2022 at 2:20 PM, Oltux72 said:

We are talking about Rosharans. Their usage of the term spren is extensive.

This raises a possibility. And it would explain why Sigzil is a squire and Auxillary the knight. Is Sigzil bonded to a Cognitive Shadow, specifically a Knight Radiant's Cognitive Shadow?

That makes no sense. 

• 3 months later...

You know what order of the Knight Radiants both manipulated connection AND has Squires?  The Bondsmiths.

Also being a Bondsmith squire would fit Sigzil's history a bit better... He's technically a newbie to that order of Radiants. Thus a squire, and would train under a knight. My guess is Aux is a Cognitive Shadow of a Bondsmith.

Sigzil wouldn't have full Knight Radiant oaths as a Bondsmith squire- that's possibly why Aux is acting like he didn't have any.

If it's a prior Knight Radiant who's a cognitive shadow, that explains Aux's stark awareness that he's already dead, since cognitive shadows technically are :0. He would have memory of his past life while he was alive and everything. Also Aux being a cognitive shadow might explain how he has so much autonomy over manipulating Connection on his own initiative.

Or maybe the way Honor isn't around to regulate the Surges let Dalinar do some weird bonding between a Cognitive Shadow and Sigzil to create a new kind of Nahel bond? It certainly seemed like a Nahel bond- the way Aux was able to become a shardblade or shardtools and whatnot.

Aux is just referred to as a knight so often, I'm inclined to believe he is or was one. He's also got the power to translate, which was specifically a Bondsmith skill.

Edited by Stockman

Crackpot Theory:

Dalinar dies in Book 5 doing weird stuff, and the Stormfather is killed. Dalinar becomes

[Stormlight Kickstarter Spoilers]

Spoiler

Zellion, after taking Ishar's Honorblade and killing or stopping the Herald.

In order to save the Stormfather, Sigzil uses a Dawnshard, expecting his Oaths to overpower any problems. They don't, and his Spren is killed in a weird way. But the Stormfather is revived and now bound to Sigzil. Maybe that's how he can use Connection? ...yeah, not likely. Still, I do think there's a kernel of something in this theory...

Or maybe instead of the Stormfather, Sigzil hilariously bonds Ishar instead? 

Or a potentially simpler solution: Sigzil's Spren is supercharged by the Dawnshard and becomes something more, like the Cognitive Shadow equivalent of a mortal picking up a Shard and Ascending. However, this was reaching dangerous levels, and so Sigzil ended his Oaths. This...didn't have the effect either wanted or predicted, and it resulted in Sigzil's Torment and Auxillary's weird state. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

• 1 month later...

Random, possibly disjointed thought.

If the Dawnshard gave Sig the ability to metabolize Investiture.... what if when he became the Dawnshard he somehow absorbed his Spren, which was also a part Sig's soul, as they were bonded, and instead of just letting him use the investiture for some power as we see in SP4... his Spren just kinda became part of him

Edited by Eternal Khol
Misspellings

• 1 month later...

So this could be a dumb idea but storm father appears to be a cognitive shadow of honor or something like it. nomad says he broke his oath and he could have killed his spren and not re bonded or anything but based on the face i've been thinking about it for a while and it seems you might be able to bond a cognitive shadow as long as they are invested properly. he might be some kind of cognitive shadow perhaps or something like it witch would explain why it can do surges and such that no spren give. again could be completely wrong but I don't think we knew sigzil sprens name, and auxillary could be a new spren/shadow.

Edited by Wits instant noodles

• 4 months later...

To begin with, somebody has to restart this conversation. I think I figured it all out! In Oathbringer, I think chapter 108 Notum tells Kaladin he wants to kill Kaladin just to end his bond with Syl. He also tells Kaladin this will no longer work once Kaladin swears the fifth ideal. Does anybody else see the connection? This means when Sigzil said "My oaths ended." He could be referencing reaching fifth ideal. This means he had no more oaths and they did in fact end. Maybe, once a Radiant reaches fifth ideal and breaks oaths, or picks up a Dawnshard, I am not sure which, their spren would be killed. However, fifth oath Windrunners do not have their spren become deadeyes. Their spren becomes something weird like Aux is.

I know this does not answer everything, particularly why Aux is the Knight and Sigzil the squire, but I think this has ground. Alder and Frustration, please do not crush this theory with dozens of WoBs.

49 minutes ago, The Stick said:

To begin with, somebody has to restart this conversation. I think I figured it all out! In Oathbringer, I think chapter 108 Notum tells Kaladin he wants to kill Kaladin just to end his bond with Syl. He also tells Kaladin this will no longer work once Kaladin swears the fifth ideal. Does anybody else see the connection? This means when Sigzil said "My oaths ended." He could be referencing reaching fifth ideal. This means he had no more oaths and they did in fact end. Maybe, once a Radiant reaches fifth ideal and breaks oaths, or picks up a Dawnshard, I am not sure which, their spren would be killed. However, fifth oath Windrunners do not have their spren become deadeyes. Their spren becomes something weird like Aux is.

I know this does not answer everything, particularly why Aux is the Knight and Sigzil the squire, but I think this has ground. Alder and Frustration, please do not crush this theory with dozens of WoBs.

If 5th Ideal spren don't become deadeyes, then where are they during the events of SA? There should be dozens of hundreds of them there. Everyone would know what happened during Recreance as there would be spren like Aux walking and talking.

As per request, no WoBs from me. Just brutal logic :P 

Good point. It did make more sense when I first wrote it. The only argument I can come up with is that they continued to act normal or pretended the were not bonded. However, we have not seen Aux's true form yet, so we do not know what he looks like, he may look like a deadeye and be unable to talk, but retain consciousness in a bond. Although, it Notum knows about this weird fifth ideal thing, most honorspren would as well which kind of hurts my theory.

Questioner

Is the relationship between Sigzil and Aux what Adolin and Maya could have?

Brandon Sanderson

Depends on what they mean by "relationship". It is theoretically possible.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/494/#e15633

I think this could support my theory though

Maybe fifth oath honorspren do die, but are capable of healing like Adolin healed Maya. Perhaps this just has not been seen on screen yet. Honorspren may know it is possible, but do not have a fifth oath Windrunner willing to heal their spren back.

Edited by The Stick
Added WoB

7 minutes ago, The Stick said:

Good point. It did make more sense when I first wrote it. The only argument I can come up with is that they continued to act normal or pretended the were not bonded. However, we have not seen Aux's true form yet, so we do not know what he looks like, he may look like a deadeye and be unable to talk, but retain consciousness in a bond. Although, it Notum knows about this weird fifth ideal thing, most honorspren would as well which kind of hurts my theory.

I don't have an English version of OB, but Notum didn't tell that killing him after 5th Ideal wouldn't work. He told, translated:

- It's not too late. Killing you would set her free, though it would be too painful. There are other ways, at least until the Last Ideal is said.

Killing her would just work. But there are also other ways to "set her free" but those other ways won't work after the 5th Ideal. But killing him will work even then.

7 minutes ago, The Stick said:

Questioner

Is the relationship between Sigzil and Aux what Adolin and Maya could have?

Brandon Sanderson

Depends on what they mean by "relationship". It is theoretically possible.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/494/#e15633

I think this could support my theory though

Maybe fifth oath honorspren do die, but are capable of healing like Adolin healed Maya. Perhaps this just has not been seen on screen yet. Honorspren may know it is possible, but do not have a fifth oath Windrunner willing to heal their spren back.

Nah, that's reverse Nahel Bond for me, Aux is the knight, Sizgil is filling cracks in Aux's soul with himself. That's what I think Maya and Adolin are forming right now. Both Aux and Maya benefit from the bond more, it gives them strength of the person they are bonded with and full awareness. Moreover, as Aux proves, it can give them unique invested abilities that they can extend over the person they are bonded with. 

To add more, no Honorspren survived the Recreance, they shouldn't know that at all.