I'm reading The Stormlight Archive for the first time

Amira

14 hours ago, Amira said:

Whoa, my topic has turned into a discussion of religion and social issues! I'm both honored and a little nervous:blink:

Now that I think about it, Israel of all places is probably the most likely to be like that, because Judaism doesn't involve the individual person "talking to God" like some other religions (e.g. Christianity), so spiritual experiences are probably less of a thing to begin with. But maybe it was realistic for Jasnah to use that as an argument. I personally think discounting others' experiences doesn't lead to great logic. Also I respect that this is an atheist written by a religious author, and he's probably doing a better job than if I tried to write a religious character. Also Jasnah lives in a much more religious society than ours; she has to defend her beliefs all alone!

Chapter 32, Side Carry (Kaladin):

Okay, that didn't end as spectacularly as I was imagining, Kaladin destroyed the entire plateau assault and got beaten up, even if he did save all of Bridge Four. I probably should have seen it coming though that something would go wrong. The chapter is near the beginning of the part, not near a climax, and this book has a tendency to end chapters on grim notes. I still can't wait to see what happens next and wish I didn't have to read about Shallan and could just focus on Kaladin :P

Very interesting the idea that if a piece of a system is organized way better than the rest of the system, then it will cause the rest of the system to fall apart... I love when books deal with this type of stuff. Reminds me of Ender's Shadow where Bean reorganized the kids on the street at the beginning (it was a little different and things didn't fall apart there, but it dealt with the same theme of one person reorganizing a bad situation). I wish I found more books that did that.

One thing I forgot to say about the previous Kaladin chapter is what is Gaz bribing Lamaril to not talk about?? At first I thought it was Kaladin, but everyone knows about Kaladin so it must be something else...

Well no or at least not exactly. Hearing from God is a thing in Judaism, In fact the whole religion begins when a man named abraham hears from God. That said, because Christianity is essential post messianic Judaism, the Christian and Jewish view dose differ in how available they believe the gift of prophecy to be. 

Catholicism does teach a personal relationship with God. But on the scale, it falls a lot closer to Judaism than, say, Puritanism. It’s gotten better since the Reformation and Counter-Reformation, but there’s still a lot that goes through the priests. I point this out simply because Vorinism is supposed to mirror, in some ways, Catholicism, especially around the time of the Crusades. Throughout Sanderson’s books, you can find a representation of almost any kind of religion.

On 7/22/2022 at 8:31 AM, CameronUluvara said:

Gaz just owes him money; it’s not a bribe.

Oh, somehow I thought it said it was a bribe. Do we know why he owes him money?

On 7/22/2022 at 11:57 AM, Treamayne said:

Glad you enjoyed the chapter and implications. I particularly like this quote:

You can almost smell the smoke from their brains when faced with a Bridgeman who can think

Well . . . (Ender Spoilers)

Reveal hidden contents

Not until Achilles killed Poke, Bean went into hiding and the whole crew had to split up with new Papas

Yes, Kaladin is great!

Haha, I suppose things did fall apart in Bean's case, thought not because the new system he'd created was working so well that everything else collapsed (like in Kaladin's case).

On 7/22/2022 at 0:53 PM, CameronUluvara said:

Christian doctrine teaches that when Jesus died on the cross, the temple veil between the holy place and the holiest of holies was torn completely in half from top to bottom. This is symbolic of the way all can now come before God because Jesus died as sacrifice for the world’s sins, and humanity is now no longer too impure to stand in God’s presence. Because of this, most Christian sects focus on the idea of a personal relationship with God by talking to him directly (through prayer), but you’ll find this idea much more common among Protestant and Apostolic denominations, not Catholic or Mormon.

Ah, yes, thank you for explaining. I knew the 'what' but not the 'why'.

Don't tell my grandma, but all this talk about the differences between Judaism and Christianity made me realize that Christianity is more up my alley than Judaism, haha.

Chapter 33, Shallan:

Hm. If Kabsal's goal was to talk to Jasnah, why did he leave the moment she showed up? Very suspicious... Yes, Shallan should definitely switch her religious path to one that better fits her! Especially now that her father isn't around to tell her off. There was one point where Jasnah mentioned stealing her Soulcaster and Shallan's hand flew to her secret pocket. My guess is that Jasnah noticed that and will now be a little more suspicious of Shallan.

Edited by Amira

Chapter 34:

Of course surviving a Highstorm will be added to Kaladin's growing list of impossible feats. I should have known :lol:

With his only tool that one sphere, maybe he'll finally realize he's using Stormlight magic? Maybe he'll finally learn to control his powers? I want it to happen already!

But wait, with Lamaril dead, how will we find out why Gaz owed him money?

Edited by Amira

5 hours ago, Amira said:

But wait, with Lamaril dead, how will we find out why Gaz owed him money?

it's not really a spoiler. it gets implied in passing at some point once, and it's even easy to miss. it's a small piece of characterization on a very minor characteer in a very big book.

I'm still putting it under spoiler, but there really isn't any amazing revelation there

Spoiler

gaz is a gambling addict

14 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

it's not really a spoiler. it gets implied in passing at some point once, and it's even easy to miss. it's a small piece of characterization on a very minor characteer in a very big book.

I'm still putting it under spoiler, but there really isn't any amazing revelation there

Reveal hidden contents

gaz is a gambling addict

Actually, don't read that spoiler. Or this one.

Spoiler

As far as I remember, we don't actually know where Gaz;s debts came from. As I recall, when Shallan asked him if he was a gambler, his reply was 'sure. Doesn't really make a difference, does it.

1 hour ago, Nameless said:

Actually, don't read that spoiler. Or this one.

Okay, I won't.

Chapter 35: Kaladin gets a glimpse of the Stormfather - I assume that's what that face was, although I'm surprised Kaladin himself didn't arrive at that conclusion. It sounds like Teft put two and two together about the Stormlight. I hope he tells Kaladin and Kaladin finally starts learning about his powers. I know, I wish for this on pretty much every Kaladin chapter...

4 minutes ago, Amira said:

Okay, I won't.

Chapter 35: Kaladin gets a glimpse of the Stormfather - I assume that's what that face was, although I'm surprised Kaladin himself didn't arrive at that conclusion. It sounds like Teft put two and two together about the Stormlight. I hope he tells Kaladin and Kaladin finally starts learning about his powers. I know, I wish for this on pretty much every Kaladin chapter...

I predict . . .

Spoiler

you will be happy with how that prediction turns out.

On 7/31/2022 at 1:50 PM, SymphonianBookworm said:

@Amira What’s your opinion on Shallan?

You mean in general? I enjoy reading about Kaladin a lot more. Shallan's situation/plot makes me very nervous, and all the philosophy isn't my thing.

Chapter 36: Yikes, Shallan actually did it, she stole Jasnah's Soulcaster! Now she'd better get out of there asap, before Jasnah tries to use the Soulcaster again and finds out it doesn't work. That being said, I wonder if Jasnah knows how to fix broken Soulcasters.

On 8/3/2022 at 0:38 PM, SarChasmFiend said:

Oh, man! I caught up. I’m on my third reread and going through chapter by chapter with you. Keep it up! I’m enjoying getting your take on everything. (You’re following way better than I did on my first time through.)

Oh cool!

Chapter 37, Kal:

I wasn't sure why Kal jumped to the conclusion that his father was going to give some of the spheres to Roshone. I was also disappointed to find out his father really did steal the spheres. IDK, the chapters of Kaladin's past always seem so depressing. Maybe I'm just not a huge fan of flashbacks and prequels. Kal keeps going back and forth between becoming a soldier and becoming a surgeon, but we already know he became a soldier, so there's less tension than reading about present day Kaladin. I will say, however, that him wanting to grow up and do the right thing and be mature, not knowing how everything's about to fall apart in just a few years, all his expectations, assumptions about the world, etc. is very relatable. I went through a similar process becoming an adult.-_-

Anyway, see you all at the livestream in a few minutes!

Glad you are still enjoying the book.

Overall, for me, the flashbacks were less about "what will happen" than "how did <this> become what I know to be the present." Kal's flashbacks in TWoK are second only to Dalinar's in Oathbringer to me.

1 hour ago, Amira said:

Kal keeps going back and forth between becoming a soldier and becoming a surgeon, but we already know he became a soldier, so there's less tension than reading about present day Kaladin.

If you feel less tension about this, maybe you should consider why he might choose what you think he chooses. . .

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

Chapter 38:
I should be going to sleep, but instead I read the next Kaladin chapter, because Kaladin is awesome and I need more Kaladin. Also, I kinda feel like crap, and perhaps some of my frustration with my life came through when I wrote my reaction for that last chapter and maybe I felt guilty because, hey, it's not the poor chapter's fault! This chapter totally cheered me up, even though now I have so many questions. What are Envisagers? How is Kaladin doing magic in his sleep?? Okay guys, Kaladin might yet give Szeth a run for his money for the spot of "Amira's favorite Stormlight character." Cool, now I'm really going to sleep, but only because Shallan is next. If there was another Kaladin chapter, I'd stay up even later and read it.

Thank you all for following along

Chapter 39: Shallan can't figure out how to use the Soulcaster. Next chapter is about KALADIN so naturally I read it too...

Chapter 40: No, Kaladin, don't give up! Rock cracks me up: "And what is this thing you believe you are doing?" when Kaladin tries to join the bridge run. Naturally Teft didn't get a chance to talk to Kaladin and explain the Stomrlight magic, because that's what we *really* want to see. I do understand why Kaladin is despairing, but I think he should try and think about the fact that he already pulled the impossible once, so maybe he can do it again somehow. I really hope Teft and Kaladin talk during the next Kaladin chapter. Maybe it'll give Kaladin hope.

Chapter 41: Kaladin's past

Somewhere among all the other thoughts Kaladin and his dad were having, I bet they felt a bit of satisfaction to see their big bullies bring doom upon themselves.

On 8/6/2022 at 7:26 PM, Treamayne said:

What do you think of Lirin?

In the last chapter about little Kaladin I was disappointed to find out that Lirin stole the spheres, but in this chapter I kinda respected Lirin. He chooses to protect life, even if it's the life of a terrible man, not because he believes this man deserves to live, but because a man who protects life is the kind of man Lirin wants to be. He's staying true to himself even when there isn't much worth protecting. I identify with him.

Chapter 42, Shallan:

What is that voice Shallan heard saying "what are you"??? Is it the creatures she drew earlier? And how did she forget about it so fast? I hope I find out soon! Gosh, Shallan casually sneaking into Jasnah's room to snoop around makes me so nervous. Her relationship with Kabsal is heating up, I wonder where that'll go. Will Kabsal really quit being an ardent for her? Meanwhile, Shallan is scheduled to get back on the ship that will take her home in a week's time, so her plan is going smoothly except for the fact that she still can't make the Soulcaster work. Let's think about this:

Option 1) Only certain people - Soulcasters - can use the Soulcasters. Shallan simply doesn't have the ability, so it doesn't matter how hard she tries or what methods she tries, she'll never be able to do it.

Option 2) Shallan actually doesn't have a working Soulcaster. Either her suspicions are correct and Jasnah purposefully placed a fake in a spot where Shallan could steal it, or her earlier suspicions are correct and Jasnah switched back the Soulcasters since Shallan swapped them, stealing the working one out of Shallan's trunk.

Option 3) There actually is some kind of secret to making it work. This is the theory Shallan currently seems to believe in, but I'm not sure, I'm leaning toward the other two.

Many questions. Don't actually answer them, haha. I will RAFO

I just love reading about your first Journey through Stormlight Archive. I was there, we all were there. Glad to see you enjoying this as much as I did. When I read it for the first time I also was much more invested i Kaladin story, then Dalinar/Adolin and poor Shallan was way behind. But on my first re-read I began to notice many interesting things hidden in between lines, as there is a lot of things happening there, some are important, that may seem boring at first adn easy to miss. On my second re-read I was more invested in Shallan's chapters than Kaladin's. So don't give up on Shallan so fast, you're in for a lot of surprises:)

4 hours ago, alder24 said:

I just love reading about your first Journey through Stormlight Archive.

Thank you!! You all are the best!

Chapter 43:

Watching Kaladin almost give up was terrifying. In the end he did come up with something, but he's now showing the bridgemen that he's just human. Before, he made ridiculous promises like that no one in Bridge Four will die again (he was wrong, a few did die), or that he'd survive the highstorm (he was right, he survived). In this chapter he stopped playing that game of wowing them (a 'game' that totally worked btw). Instead he just told them the whole truth. I'm not sure if this is a better or worse approach, but I wonder if this is what he'll do from now on, or if he'll maybe keep alternating between the two approaches, depending on how confident he feels in the situation. I kind of liked it when he made high promises and then miraculously managed to keep them, haha, but realistically it is very hard to feel that confidence all the time. Anyway, Bridge Four is planning its escape! Can't wait!