I'm reading The Stormlight Archive for the first time

Amira

34 minutes ago, Amira said:

Chapter 16, back to Kaladin's childhood.

I'm not sure if Laral was being a jerk or trying to help Kal discover the career he really wants. Very interesting to find out that if a darkeyes kills a shardbearer and takes his Blade he becomes a lighteyes. My theory is that Kaldin will achieve this at the end of the book.

I always just took this to be that Laral started to think of Kal as more than a friend, but he was still oblivious. . .

He was oblivious, but meanwhile enjoyed "looking at her" :)

Chapter 17

Okay, the dimming of the spheres is a dead giveaway - Kaladin is somehow using the same magic/powers Szeth used, drawing on the stormlight without knowing it. Not sure how he can do this subconsciously, since Szeth had to be so deliberate about it, but I'll wait and see. As expected, Kaladin's surgery training came in handy. I think the bridgemen will finally start respecting him and following his orders more now. My guess is that some of them will help him pay for more medical supplies.

I'm back! Hopefully life will let me read this book for once, but we'll see.

Chapter 18

So the saddle was cut, but now there's the possibility that it was cut accidentally by a misplaced sharp piece of metal. Hm. My guess is that someone is actually after the king.

I have a feeling that Adolin will like his father's idea of becoming highprince of war. The question is, can Dalinar pull it off before the storm episodes do him in? I hope in the next chapter about him we'll get to see the reaction of the people who see him during his 'episode', though it does make me nervous...

Chapter 19

I'll try to guess who the voice in the visions is.

Option 1: Hoid. I don't think this is very likely, it's just that he's the most mysterious character we know so far, and probably the most powerful one, though I'm probably not supposed to know that yet. I get the impression that he doesn't meddle *this* much, but I might be wrong.

Option 2: Same person who's behind sending Szeth to kill Gavilar. This too seems like a stretch, because starting a war and wanting to 'unite' people are kind of opposite, but maybe the war against the Parshendi is supposed to unite the Alethi highprinces? We know this person likes to pull the strings from the shadows, so it's an option.

Option 3: A new character we haven't met yet.

Option 4: Kelek or one of his fellow 'gods', if they're still around.

Chapter 20.

I think Kal's dad doesn't know the right things to tell him to help him feel better, which sadly seems to happen to many parents. Since this chapter was so short, I'll add another comment I forgot to say about the previous chapter. Dalinar had a brief chance to talk to the Radiants, and I wish he'd asked them how they pulled that trick making their helm disappear and 'falling' into the air. It would have been cool if he came back from a vision with knowledge about Stormlight magic :) It probably would have helped him gain back the respect he loses for having visions in the first place.

Chapter 21

No idea what plant Kaladin wants to collect, either something he can sell or something he can use as medicine/antiseptic. Nice to see a few of the the others starting to support him. It makes a lot of sense that the guy he switched places with on the bridge run would be grateful. Not sure why Kaladin is so clueless when it comes to his 'luck', it seems pretty obvious that *something* is going on. Also not sure why Kaladin doesn't ask Syl to make herself visible to others so they don't think he's talking to the air. I look forward to seeing how he continues to transform the life of bridge four bridgemen.

Chapter 22

Another option is that Sadeas is sending the visions, feeding Dalinar a story that he knows will work on him and telling him to trust him so he could take Dalinar down. But this would mean Sadeas has an incredible amount of power, so it doesn't seem likely.

Not sure why either Navani or Dalinar didn't tell Elhokar the hidden meaning of what he did. It seems like characters don't communicate as much as they could have in this book, though I guess this is Brandon's writing style, and some people are like that, so it's not unrealistic. Seems hard to be a noble in this world, every random small action has ten hidden meanings.

Does Szeth ever become a main character? I want to hear more about him.

Or maybe Sadeas is behind the cutting of the girth, that's way more likely than him being behind the visions.

Edited by Amira

2 hours ago, Amira said:

Does Szeth ever become a main character? I want to hear more about him.

I'll answer this, but I'll spoiler it because you might not actually want the answer knowing it has spoilers (possibly an idle question)

Spoiler

You will learn more about Szeth and he remains important.

You will see Szeth outside of Interludes

Book five will have his flashback sequence. If you were unaware, the way you see some of Kaladin's history in this book, each book has flashbacks for one character (the character does not still need to be alive in the "present" to get flashbacks):

• Spoiler

• The Way of Kings - Kaladin
    • Words of Radiance - Shallan
    • Oathbringer - Dalinar
    • Rhythm of War - Venli/Eshonai
    • Book 5 - Szeth

26 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

I'll answer this, but I'll spoiler it because you might not actually want the answer knowing it has spoilers (possibly an idle question)

Reveal hidden contents

You will learn more about Szeth and he remains important.

You will see Szeth outside of Interludes

Book five will have his flashback sequence. If you were unaware, the way you see some of Kaladin's history in this book, each book has flashbacks for one character (the character does not still need to be alive in the "present" to get flashbacks):

•   Reveal hidden contents

• The Way of Kings - Kaladin
    • Words of Radiance - Shallan
    • Oathbringer - Dalinar
    • Rhythm of War - Venli/Eshonai
    • Book 5 - Szeth

Okay, I looked at this because I was dying to know. Thank you for answering.

"You will see Szeth outside of Interludes" hm, but does he ever become a POV character?

Wait, how do we know book 5 will have his flashback sequence?

Edited by Amira

22 minutes ago, Amira said:

Wait, how do we know book 5 will have his flashback sequence?

Words of Brandon:

ISw3arItWasntM3

Do you plan to write the stormlight archive books with the same POV characters throughout the series (like WoT) or do you think that you give other characters POV (aSoIaF) as the series continues?

Brandon Sanderson

Most of the main POV characters have been introduced. Each book will take one major character (Kaladin, Dalinar, Adolin, Jasnah, Shallan, Navani, Szeth, Taln) and give them 'flashback' sequences in the same way Kaladin got flashbacks in the first book. There are some open spots for which I'm toying with other characters being used.

Questioner (paraphrased)

Will we see more of Szeth’s backstory, including how he became a Truthless?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

That, you will have to wait for his flashback sequences in a future book. Each character gets a set of flashback sequences. I'm not going to promise that the characters live to the book where their flashback sequences are. You might have a character die and then get their flashbacks the next book to get more information on them. This will be Shallan's flashback, then the next book will be Szeth's flashback, then Eshonai, then Dalinar.

Note: This was from a Q&A before Words of Radiance released, due to story considerations, Dalinar and Szeth's flashbacks swapped places

Questioner

So, I was gonna ask about which character the next book would focus on?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, no, that's not spoilery... I said from the get-go I am perfectly all right writing a flashback sequence for a character who has already died in the books. So it's not telling you any spoilers to tell you who the various characters are. So, the front five are Kaladin, Shallan, Dalinar, Eshonai, and Szeth. Those are our front five. And our back five are Lift, Jasnah, Ash, Taln, and Renarin. And, not in that order. I've flipped the order quite a bit as I've been going. 'Cause Dalinar was gonna be book five, and now he's book three. So now Szeth is book five, and Eshonai is book four. Right now, Lift is book six. But the back five, I'm not concerned about, other than making sure I'm setting up the right things, and it's gonna come together.

This is the order that confirmed Szeth's flashbacks in Book five.

Another Word of Brandon regarding Szeth's viewpoints and book 5 - I've linked it instead of posting it because of the same reason above. It has some minor spoilers for everything you haven't read - though it also explains why Szeth has gotten less screen time before Book 5.

Edited by Treamayne
Notes and SPAG

Oh, wow, thanks for all the info!

I won't look at the link. So I guess Szeth is a "major" character but not a pov character? I'm not as excited about flashbacks as I am about "current" content, but I will look forward to more Szeth. Right now he interests me the most, followed by Wit, followed by Kaladin.

22 hours ago, boa said:

this was so entertaining to read! i hope you continue these updates, they’re amazing

Aww, thank you so much! I'm definitely going to continue.

Chapter 23.

Wait. Those guys from the prequel, Kelek/Kalak and his friends, they're the Heralds that we keep hearing about! And that Shardbearer that showed up at the end of chapter 1, he's the man Kaladin killed! Then he was denied the Shardblade, offered some dumb gift instead, refused it, and became a slave. That's why he's so sure it's all a lie.

Am I close?

I liked the part where Kaladin realized just giving the bridgemen their lives wasn't enough; they also needed something to live *for*.

16 hours ago, Amira said:

Chapter 23.

Wait. Those guys from the prequel, Kelek/Kalak and his friends, they're the Heralds that we keep hearing about! And that Shardbearer that showed up at the end of chapter 1, he's the man Kaladin killed! Then he was denied the Shardblade, offered some dumb gift instead, refused it, and became a slave. That's why he's so sure it's all a lie.

Am I close?

I would not want to give spoilers, but since you are explicitly asking, I will vaguely say that

Spoiler

it's not exact, but close

19 hours ago, Amira said:

Am I close?

I liked the part where Kaladin realized just giving the bridgemen their lives wasn't enough; they also needed something to live *for*.

You're definitely close with some of it! lol

Yeah, that's something that really speaks to me too. You don't just need to be alive, you need some reason to be alive. For some people, just being alive is reason enough, but others need more.

I went through all the chapters in part 2 and read that letter split among them. I guess this is why people say not to start the cosmere with The Stormlight Archive. I assume I would have understood more of what that's about if I'd read other books? For example, Sel is mentioned there, and I know that's a world that other books take place on. It's just that Stormight seemed so central, you know what I mean? Starting with it was just too tempting!

Also, I went to the library and for the first time realized just how ginormous these books are!! No wonder it's taking me a while to get through them. By the way, do we know who the two characters on the cover are?

Anyway, chapter 24.

I feel like the best strategy for Dalinar would be to go on a few plateau assaults, remind everyone how good he is at it, and *then* try to recruit someone for a joint assault.

I ship Adolin and Shallan. She could use marrying into a high house, and he has no luck with girls, so might as well try this one, haha.

2 hours ago, Amira said:

I went through all the chapters in part 2 and read that letter split among them.

It may interest you to know that the epigraphs are collected in the coppermind wiki:

https://coppermind.net/wiki/The_Way_of_Kings/Epigraphs

So you can read them all without jumping through the various chapters. saves some hassle. but beware of spoilers

By the way, do we know who the two characters on the cover are?

Dalinar and Eshonai. You still haven't met the second one.

Edited by king of nowhere

3 hours ago, Amira said:

I went through all the chapters in part 2 and read that letter split among them. I guess this is why people say not to start the cosmere with The Stormlight Archive. I assume I would have understood more of what that's about if I'd read other books? For example, Sel is mentioned there, and I know that's a world that other books take place on. It's just that Stormight seemed so central, you know what I mean? Starting with it was just too tempting!

It'll give you a reason to re-read The Way of Kings after you've gone on and read Mistborn Era 1, Elantris and Warbreaker. A chance to re-experience those things that you may have glossed over or references you missed the first time.

Also, I went to the library and for the first time realized just how ginormous these books are!! No wonder it's taking me a while to get through them. By the way, do we know who the two characters on the cover are?

Sanderson has said that Stormlight books are plotted as a trilogy (with two smaller climaxes prior to the book's final climax). Note - this is not the same as writing it as a trilogy, since the viewpoints are more interwoven and subplots are more spread out. Also each book is in five parts, not three.

1 hour ago, king of nowhere said:

Dalinar and Eshonai. You still haven't met the second one.

Here's the relevant WoB, if you are interested:

Spoiler

Brandon Sanderson

[Eshonai] I believe is one that Michael Whelan intended to be one figures on the covers, one's Dalinar, and one's Eshonai. But that scene is not 100% accurate from the book. Usually with book covers we are looking for a poster for the book, like a movie poster, which isn't necessarily an exact scene from the book. But I believe it's who it was intended to be.

You will meet Eshonai in the same chapter that bears her name (though her name isn't used on-screen until book two).

Someone already mentioned this but just to second: I think you’ll love a reread after going through Mistborn, Elantris, and Warbreaker in the future. There are so many Cosmere parallels, points of connection, and Easter eggs between Way of Kings and the other stories. A while ago I tried to read Way of Kings as my intro to the Cosmere, quickly felt disoriented and decided to start with the shorter works first. Then I picked up Way of Kings a couple weeks ago and it was like taking a matrix pill where all the zeros and ones become sounds and colors haha! Just finished reading it all the way through and it’s already my favorite book in the Cosmere!

6 hours ago, JWParker said:

Someone already mentioned this but just to second: I think you’ll love a reread after going through Mistborn, Elantris, and Warbreaker in the future. There are so many Cosmere parallels, points of connection, and Easter eggs between Way of Kings and the other stories. A while ago I tried to read Way of Kings as my intro to the Cosmere, quickly felt disoriented and decided to start with the shorter works first. Then I picked up Way of Kings a couple weeks ago and it was like taking a matrix pill where all the zeros and ones become sounds and colors haha! Just finished reading it all the way through and it’s already my favorite book in the Cosmere!

Interesting. How far did you get on that first try? I haven't felt disoriented yet. I just don't understand the thing with this forum chasing Hoid (lol), though I liked the part where he says they wouldn't know what to do with him if they caught him. I hope they catch him now!

Chapter 25:

Gosh, Roshar seems so harsh. Also, I'm seeing a parallel between Adolin's relationship with his father and Kaladin's relationship with his father. In both cases, the son is worried about what people are saying about his father, while the father doesn't seem concerned.