I'm reading The Stormlight Archive for the first time

Amira

14 hours ago, cometaryorbit said:

Eh, a Shardbearer is a fourth dahn lighteyes, which means lordship over land. So Kaladin could have tried to set an example of lordship with genuine concern for the common people.

He'd definitely have some scope to do it, but I don't think he'd have as much as people are imagining or that it would prompt much change in the country. Do you really believe that Sadeas would give him valuable lands to rule, and treat him fairly with an honest chance to make things work his own way? I'm not clear on what people expect a good example would achieve, what that example would produce that Alethkar cares about, or that having the Shards would give Kaladin the social and political capital to be influential like Adolin or Jasnah rather than, say, Roshone.

Kaladin would have done a great job in the role and been able to make good use of the Shards. But I think that assuming Kaladin could use them to drive much change throughout Alethkar is very optimistic.

13 hours ago, BinarySecond said:

I think it's pretty mean for people to be referencing later books right now and putting them hidden in this thread.

Sorry! I really am sorry, that's not what this thread was for. I didn't do it to be mean, I was just curious about something, and it wasn't really significant enough to start a new thread.

14 hours ago, BinarySecond said:

I think it's pretty mean for people to be referencing later books right now and putting them hidden in this thread.

No no no! I really don't mind. I think it's great that people are having fun with it. That's what spoiler tags are for.

Chapter 53, Kaladin: Why doesn't Teft tell him??? Does he have a good reason for not telling him? Will we find out what this reason is? Dunny dying was very sad. It's nice that Kaladin thought to help the wounded from other bridges, a good way to recruit new members when the higher ups won't give them any, although, will they heal fast enough to be able to join bridge runs?

5 hours ago, Amira said:

No no no! I really don't mind. I think it's great that people are having fun with it. That's what spoiler tags are for.

Chapter 53, Kaladin: Why doesn't Teft tell him??? Does he have a good reason for not telling him?

he's got some psycological trauma associated with it. i'm not sure if it was already in the book, or it you discover it later

8 hours ago, Amira said:

I really don't mind. I think it's great that people are having fun with it. That's what spoiler tags are for.

And, as you finish the series, you can re-read your own thread and check them out (without needing to hunt them down or remember where you "read" something). . .

Chapter 54, Dalinar: Yay, Sadeas agreed to do a joint plateau assault with Dalinar! Can't wait to see how it works out! Wit revealed to Dalinar that his name is Hoid, and said some cryptic stuff... I wish people in this book could be less cryptic. I wonder why Wit is leaving. Also Wit just name dropped Adonalsium. I wonder what was the purpose of that...

Edited by Amira

On 8/20/2022 at 8:45 PM, Amira said:

I got a Seeker, lame...

Interlude 9, Szeth: Somehow I had thought previously that the king of Ja Keved was Shallan's father, not sure why I thought that. Poor Szeth. I'm waiting to find out why he has to do whatever the person with his Oathstone tells him, what it means to be Truthless. I am ALSO looking forward to reading about Kaladin learning to Lash! In terms of storytelling, I think having an OP character who has to do whatever his arbitrary master tells him was brilliant.

Did you just call Marsh lame?

On 8/26/2022 at 4:16 AM, bmcclure7 said:

Did you just call Marsh lame?

Oh, did I insult a cool character? I don't remember much from Mistborn; I read about 70% of the first book and never finished, I'll have to reread it from the beginning after Stormlight.

On 8/26/2022 at 7:25 AM, king of nowhere said:

I think he just wanted to see dalinar's reaction, to see if he was cosmere aware. but it's just my speculation

I think I can rule out Hoid as the sender of Dalinar's visions.

Chapter 55, Kaladin: Nice, the joint plateau assault was a success! I wonder how Kaladin plans to use Shen's protectiveness of the dead. I also wonder how he plans to use the rope; if he ties it to a permanent bridge, then as he said, it would get discovered. Glad to see Kaladin starting to notice certain effects of his magic like the quick healing. Do I have to wait for the climax for him to realize he can do magic? Ugh!

Chapter 56, Dalinar: Gosh, for a moment there I thought Sadeas was going to die. Not that he's such a great guy, but it would have been really bad for Dalinar if his strategy (joint plateau assaults) backfired like that. It was kind of funny how Dalinar realized some of the Parshendi warriors were women, then went back to referring to all of them as men. Nice to see Sadeas beginning to respect Dalinar more.

Chapter 57, Kaladin: Finally, thank goodness! Kaladin realizes he can do magic, and the first thing he does is... blame Syl?! And it turns out to be true?! It felt way too much like the main character making a totally random and not-so-logical guess that just HAPPENS to be right. Also, Syl isn't a windspren? Windspren don't make things stick together? Okay, I guess that makes sense. Sigzil is Hoid's apprentice?! Not a very good apprentice, I assume, if he ended up a bridgeman, right? Let's talk about Kaladin's reaction to discovering his magic (besides blaming Syl, lol). I really like his journey of discovery and how he realized that by believing he was cursed, he was avoiding responsibility for failing all the people who ended up dead after he tried to help them. That part really works well. However, if I was in a desperate situation and suddenly discovered new powers, I'd never in a million years say "Oh no, take this away, I don't want this, it must be part of my curse!" I'd say, "Thank goodness, another tool at my disposal, I needed this desperately!" I mean, I get what Brandon was trying to do, these powers are associated with the Radiants and the Radiants were sort of cursed, and Kaladin thinks he's cursed. But it's such a stretch. The number of times I have to suspend my disbelief with this book is starting to get to me. It's really hard to believe Kaladin wouldn't just be happy to have powers; he needs every advantage he can get.

I must be disappointing you with all my complaints about this book. Guess I should have warned you at the beginning that I'm a very critical person! That being said, I am definitely enjoying this book despite all my grumbling, and intend to read the entire series. And I can't wait to read about Kaladin learning to use his powers. Heck, I've been waiting for that the whole book!

This is my 100th post! To celebrate, here's a random, off topic bonus, the start of some cross stitch embroidery I've been working on:

Spoiler

3475453d-ebaf-4045-9b4c-a04732960ac2.thumb.jpg.5f60e40a18d5882a98b3b5e230976637.jpg

One more thing I forgot to say about the chapter is I really liked that note about how the other bridge crews now regarded Bridge Four like they regarded the rest of the camp, like people above them. It's like Kaladin has elevated Bridge Four. Really cool.

Chapter 58, Adolin/Dalinar: Nice, Adolin is starting to see the sense in his father's ideals, and Dalinar has realized abdicating would have been taking the easy way out, and has now fully decided not to do it! Sadeas is really starting to turn, and meanwhile, Elhokar can see Shallan's symbolhead creatures?! Heads up, I was kinda spoiled about Pattern (Shame on me, I should know better than to look at anything relating to the SA online), though I still don't know enough for anything to make sense. Most importantly, Dalinar has agreed to use Sadeas' bridges as long as it doesn't put the bridgemen in danger. We come one step closer to Dalinar meeting Kaladin!

Next chapter is about Kaladin, and it had better be all about Kaladin learning to use his magic!

5 hours ago, Amira said:

This is my 100th post! To celebrate, here's a random, off topic bonus, the start of some cross stitch embroidery I've been working on:

Congratulations - much better than Serene (but that's Elantris. . .)

I must be disappointing you with all my complaints about this book. Guess I should have warned you at the beginning that I'm a very critical person! That being said, I am definitely enjoying this book despite all my grumbling, and intend to read the entire series. And I can't wait to read about Kaladin learning to use his powers. Heck, I've been waiting for that the whole book!

Not at all - the first impressions (good and bad) and great to see and compare to how I (we) felt. Keep both coming, please.

Chapter 57, Kaladin: Finally, thank goodness! Kaladin realizes he can do magic, and the first thing he does is... blame Syl?! And it turns out to be true?! It felt way too much like the main character making a totally random and not-so-logical guess that just HAPPENS to be right. Also, Syl isn't a windspren? Windspren don't make things stick together? Okay, I guess that makes sense. Sigzil is Hoid's apprentice?! Not a very good apprentice, I assume, if he ended up a bridgeman, right? Let's talk about Kaladin's reaction to discovering his magic (besides blaming Syl, lol). I really like his journey of discovery and how he realized that by believing he was cursed, he was avoiding responsibility for failing all the people who ended up dead after he tried to help them. That part really works well. However, if I was in a desperate situation and suddenly discovered new powers, I'd never in a million years say "Oh no, take this away, I don't want this, it must be part of my curse!" I'd say, "Thank goodness, another tool at my disposal, I needed this desperately!" I mean, I get what Brandon was trying to do, these powers are associated with the Radiants and the Radiants were sort of cursed, and Kaladin thinks he's cursed. But it's such a stretch. The number of times I have to suspend my disbelief with this book is starting to get to me. It's really hard to believe Kaladin wouldn't just be happy to have powers; he needs every advantage he can get.

I had a similar reaction . . .

. . .for about 90 seconds. Then I realized that if he thinks the abilities are part of the curse that Killed Tien - then it makes sense that the first reaction would be "get rid of this" (physical ability seeming insignificant to emotional pain, and he's reacting emotionally at first) - and only after consideration would Kaladin be able to realize "I can't change the past, but this might help me save Bridge 4 in the future."

You will also get some more insight into his thoughts and fears throughout this book and the next.

7 minutes ago, Amira said:

Chapter 58, Adolin/Dalinar: Nice, Adolin is starting to see the sense in his father's ideals, and Dalinar has realized abdicating would have been taking the easy way out, and has now fully decided not to do it! Sadeas is really starting to turn, and meanwhile, Elhokar can see Shallan's symbolhead creatures?! Heads up, I was kinda spoiled about Pattern (Shame on me, I should know better than to look at anything relating to the SA online), though I still don't know enough for anything to make sense. Most importantly, Dalinar has agreed to use Sadeas' bridges as long as it doesn't put the bridgemen in danger. We come one step closer to Dalinar meeting Kaladin!

<holds breath>

Next chapter is about Kaladin, and it had better be all about Kaladin learning to use his magic!

Hmmmmm. . . could be

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

13 hours ago, Amira said:

mean, I get what Brandon was trying to do, these powers are associated with the Radiants and the Radiants were sort of cursed, and Kaladin thinks he's cursed. But it's such a stretch. The number of times I have to suspend my disbelief with this book is starting to get to me. It's really hard to believe Kaladin wouldn't just be happy to have powers; he needs every advantage he can get.

I think one way to understand this is, Kal really really really doesn't want to be different. He is very talented and a born leader, very charismatic but all that also makes him an 'other' and alone. The bridge crew look at him with reverence, something he loathes. I wasn't revered, but I also felt otherized in my class. When I asked why I was treated differently, people said I had 'different aura' than others( still have no idea what that means). So i relate with kal there, being a freak kinda sucks. 

Infact wasn't there a flashback chapter where kal's officer punished him just so that his teammates treat him as an equal. I think kal was extremely grateful for that. 

Chapter 59, Kaladin: Oh, the juxtaposition of Sadeas reading The Way of Kings while his subordinates work to dismember Bridge Four limb from limb. Of course, Sadeas might be pretending, I don't know yet, although I don't think so. I feel like things are really picking up. Part 4 feels like it's moving a lot faster than the other parts because the two threads are so closely connected so it no longer feels like alternating between two completely different stories. Yay, Kaladin started learning to use Stormlight at will! I still have no idea what his plan is with those Parshendi remnants. Maybe if he wears those, the Parshendi will be so angry that all the archers will fire at him and completely ignore other bridge members and bridge crews?

Edited by Amira

Chapter 60, Dalinar: Dalinar speaking an ancient language in the visions could be so useful! Navani could tell him to say certain words while making certain gestures, for example say sky while pointing up, say house while pointing down, etc. With enough visions, she could translate the whole language that way!

Chapter 61, Dalinar: Ooh, they heard about Szeth killing the king of Jah Keved! Stuff is heating up!

On 8/28/2022 at 9:21 AM, Amira said:

Maybe if he wears those, the Parshendi will be so angry that all the archers will fire at him and completely ignore other bridge members and bridge crews?

Chapter 62, Kaladin: I was right! The only thing I didn't anticipate was him moving away from the bridge, but that actually makes more sense. If he stayed at the front of his bridge, it would have been more likely that the arrows would hit someone else. I'm not sure why he agreed to the idea of more bridgemen joining him in the new maneuver, though. They don't know he's using Stormlight. Without it, would they be able to keep up? We already know that Kaladin would have taken an arrow if the Stormlight hadn't diverted it, drawing it to his shield! So wait. Shen ditched their bridge. Shen "refused to run at the Parshendi"! Will they execute him? That's the rule, isn't it?

Don't remember which chapter this was in: so it turns out I was right that one of the Heralds is the Stormfather, but it's Jezerezeh, not the one who got left behind.

Edited by Amira

9 minutes ago, Amira said:

Don't remember which chapter this was in: so it turns out I was right that one of the Heralds is the Stormfather, but it's Jezerezeh, not the one who got left behind.

I don’t think this is a spoiler, just a little cultural quirk that Brandon only answers outside of the books. It’s not really addressed, just one offhand comment in a much later book, so I’ll just tell you—it’s just a human habit of attributing deity to natural forces. Like the Greeks with Gaia and the Egyptians with Ra. The Stormfather is the Stormfather. Jezerezeh is different, but it’s all mostly myth by now, so sometimes the lower, uneducated classes take the most powerful force in their lives and attribute it to the most powerful being they’ve heard in stories. It confused me too for a long time.

Chapter 63, Kaladin: Lately Kaladin has started having second thoughts about escaping. I wonder if they end up escaping or finding a different solution. Kaladin refuses to fight, because it will trigger his trauma if I understand correctly, but I think it's a dangerous move. Even with Stormlight at his disposal, practice could be beneficial.

Glad you are still enjoying the start of the Avalanche

35 minutes ago, Amira said:

Kaladin refuses to fight. . .

Small quibble - Kaladin is refusing to spar because of the trauma (and associated hope/false hope). He fully intends to fight.

Don't forget the best Kal quote we discussed back on page four of this thread:

Spoiler
On 7/10/2022 at 4:43 PM, Treamayne said:

You were not shocked when a child knew how to breathe. You were not shocked when a skyeel took flight for the first time. You should not be shocked when you hand Kaladin Stormblessed a spear and he knows how to use it.

This quote really does sum up so much of Kal's arc.

On 8/29/2022 at 7:45 PM, Amira said:

Kaladin refuses to fight, because it will trigger his trauma

On 8/29/2022 at 8:27 PM, Treamayne said:

Small quibble - Kaladin is refusing to spar because of the trauma (and associated hope/false hope). He fully intends to fight.

Maybe I what I wrote wasn't clear. I know Kaladin intends to fight.

Don't forget the best Kal quote we discussed back on page four of this thread:

Reveal hidden contents

I haven't forgotten. I know Kaladin magically doesn't need any practice, it's just not super realistic, but whatever.

Glad you are still enjoying the start of the Avalanche

I didn't think it's started yet. That being said...

Chapter 64: What does the book mean the Parshendi could "somehow" tell Kaladin was the center of it all? Kaladin ran out in front insulting their dead. They haven't forgotten! Anyway, they are about to assault the Tower. Not sure I'm getting any sleep tonight. Are... you... ready?...!:D

Chapter 65

Sadeas did what now?!

20 minutes ago, Amira said:

Chapter 65

Sadeas did what now?!

I didn't think it's started yet. That being said...

Like I said, welcome to the start of the avalanche. . . <Grin>

1 hour ago, Amira said:

Maybe I what I wrote wasn't clear. I know Kaladin intends to fight.

I haven't forgotten. I know Kaladin magically doesn't need any practice, it's just not super realistic, but whatever

Well, it's not like he never needed practice. You may not recall  these Tidbits from earlier in this book:

Spoiler

Ch 47

He passed through the camp, waving to those who waved at him. Most everyone kept out of his way, either because they knew and respected him or they’d heard of his reputation. Youngest squadleader in the army, only four years of experience and already in command.

Ch 63

Kaladin remembered feeling such dedication. He’d spent a year like that, after Tien’s death, driving himself to exhaustion each day. Determined to get better. Determined never to let another person die because of his lack of skill. He’d become the best in his squad, then the best in his company.

You'll also get more of the time in Amaram's army when he was training in Words of Radiance - though that is Shallan's Backstory, he does get a couple short flashbacks.

Chapter 64: What does the book mean the Parshendi could "somehow" tell Kaladin was the center of it all? Kaladin ran out in front insulting their dead. They haven't forgotten! Anyway, they are about to assault the Tower. Not sure I'm getting any sleep tonight. Are... you... ready?...!

I took that to mean that even though multiple people were running wearing the bone armor, they remembered that Kaladin did it first, and he was the reason for all of the others.

1 hour ago, sugjesstive said:

Who are your favorite characters / POV chapters to read?

Favorite character is Szeth, followed by Kaladin.

1 hour ago, sugjesstive said:

Can you believe this guy?!

LOL

Chapter 66: Dalinar thinks he's going to die. I think Kaladin will make Bridge Four turn around and go back for him. When Sadeas tries to tell the other bridge crews to follow so his soldiers can stop Kaladin and co. the other bridge crews will not follow Sadeas' orders.

From chapter 65 to the end is one of my favorite sequences of the book (and of all of SA). I re-read it fairly often, even when I'm not going through the whole book again. I think that it evinces the major themes of SA as well as some of its most important characters in ways that just aren't matched elsewhere. There is still lots of great stuff to come, but I especially savor this bit, since I first read it ~8 years ago all the way through to today. Happy reading!

I'm excited to hear about your overall impressions and feelings once you finish Way of Kings.