I'm reading The Stormlight Archive for the first time

Amira

3 hours ago, alder24 said:

Well, let me just say that you won't be disappointed with what is going to happen from this point on ;) 

I hope you're right!

SA2, chapter 53: I like how Adolin is completely OP in the dueling arena. Cannot for the life of me guess what Shallan's plan is. So... when do I get more Kaladin?

Chapter 54: This cracked me up:

"It can be done."

"How?"

"Mmmm. Somehow."

"You're very helpful."

"I am glad..." He trailed off. "Lie?"

Though the truth is, Pattern IS very helpful, way more than Syl who doesn't really do much... Kaladin's powers sound like way more fun though... Wow, Shallan is getting herself deeper into the mud. Though I kinda want her to pick up the spanreed now and write them "If you make another attempt on my life, I'll turn you in to the authorities"...

Also - guys? This book is really good.

Edited by Amira

13 hours ago, Amira said:

Shallan's brother was the Shardbearer at the beginning of book 1 who killed all of Kaladin's friends?!

oh, yes.

it's actually kinda fun to look in retrospect at what was really happening in that nameless battlefield. there were big stakes in play. kaladin stumbled and interfered on a secret war between clandestine organizations.

11 hours ago, Amira said:

SA2, chapter 53: I like how Adolin is completely OP in the dueling arena. Cannot for the life of me guess what Shallan's plan is. So... when do I get more Kaladin?

Yes, Adolin fights are just amazing. And you will get a lot of great Kaladin moments soon :) 

Though the truth is, Pattern IS very helpful, way more than Syl who doesn't really do much.

I beg your pardon! Remember Honor Chasm? When Kal was ready to jump? Or how she helped them to find herbs from which they made medicine? Or how she helped them find bodies when they were sent to the chasms for recovery? She did a lot. Right now she is providing more emotional and moral support, which is still important. Pattern is very helpful, but he likes lies and patterns and is good with recognising them. But that's just regular thursday for him, while Syl went out of her comfort zone, almost lost herself in the process, just to bring Kal poison leaf thinking it would help him. 

Also - guys? This book is really good.

Yes, yes it it. And you're only halfway through.

Edited by alder24

8 hours ago, Marabout said:

You ain’t seen nothing yet!

Can't wait!

50 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

it's actually kinda fun to look in retrospect at what was really happening in that nameless battlefield. there were big stakes in play. kaladin stumbled and interfered on a secret war between clandestine organizations.

Because of course he did.

20 minutes ago, alder24 said:

I beg your pardon! Remember Honor Chasm? When Kal was ready to jump? Or how she helped them to find herbs from which they made medicine? Or how she helped them find bodies when they were sent to the chasms for recovery? She did a lot.

Okay, fair, she did do those things.

SA2, chapter 55: Nice, Kaladin, Shallan, Adolin, and Wit all in the same scene! A lot of great comebacks there. Ugh, I hate how Syl is always questioning Kaladin's motives and goals. She seems to disapprove of every answer he gives her. Let the poor guy be!

2 hours ago, Amira said:

SA2, chapter 55: Nice, Kaladin, Shallan, Adolin, and Wit all in the same scene! A lot of great comebacks there.

SA2, chapter 45, Shallan's past: Was that messenger another world hopper? 

Looks like you found your messenger

Ugh, I hate how Syl is always questioning Kaladin's motives and goals. She seems to disapprove of every answer he gives her. Let the poor guy be!

There are reasons. So what and why she is questioning could be important.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Adolin. . . 

Also, as mentioned here, you're almost there (make sure to have enough time for both chapters in one sitting. . . )

By the way, I'm disappointed in Dalinar for appointing Amaram leader of the Knights Radiant. For one, Kaladin warned him about Amaram, and for another, Amaram serves under Sadeas. Continuing to be Amaram's friend is one thing. But this is even stupider.

SA2, chapter 56: Adolin fights against four opponents, then Renarin joins, bless him, then (to no one's surprise)... go Kaladin!!!!!!!! My theory is that after Kaladin wins this fight with Stormlight, instead of Adolin challenging Sadeas, Kaladin will get to challenge Amaram. The fact that Amaram is supposed to be leader of the Radiants makes it even more fitting, since Kaladin is about to demonstrate that he can actually surgebind while Amaram cannot. He can challenge Amaram for his position as leader of the Radiants as well as for retribution.

Kaladin is about to pull a Szeth in front of absolutely everyone; I am here for it!!!

My rep says I'm a Soulcaster. If you're wondering if I'm a person or a fabrial, I'm totally a fabrial :P

Edited by Amira

12 minutes ago, Amira said:

SA2, chapter 56: Adolin fights against four opponents, then Renarin joins, bless him, then (to no one's surprise)... go Kaladin!!!!!!!! My theory is that after Kaladin wins this fight with Stormlight, instead of Adolin challenging Sadeas, Kaladin will get to challenge Amaram. The fact that Amaram is supposed to be leader of the Radiants makes it even more fitting, since Kaladin is about to demonstrate that he can actually surgebind while Amaram cannot. He can challenge Amaram for his position as leader of the Radiants as well as for retribution.

Interesting theory.

My rep says I'm a Soulcaster. If you're wondering if I'm a person or a fabrial, I'm totally a fabrial

Soulcaster is also the term for a person using the Fabrial. (more in Oathbringer Interlude  I-4)

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

1 hour ago, Treamayne said:

Soulcaster is also the term for a person using the Fabrial. (more in Oathbringer Interlude  I-4)

Precisely. And if you're wondering if I'm the person or the fabrial, I'm the fabrial.

1 hour ago, Amira said:

Kaladin is about to pull a Szeth in front of absolutely everyone; I am here for it!!!

Or not.<_<

SA2, chapter 57: Well, I was right about Kaladin using this to challenge Amaram. Too bad Elhokar is a total jerk.

On 12/31/2022 at 4:59 PM, Treamayne said:

While not a wish fulfillment, Ch 56-57 will be a solid step in the direction for which you are waiting. And I, for one, cannot wait to hear your reaction to that sequence.

Hold on. I thought you meant Adolin was going to find out about Kaladin's surgebinding. But he didn't... at least as far as we know.

Chapter 58: No! No! What do you mean it's the end of part 3? I need to hear more about Kaladin, not some other people in interludes!

Edited by Amira

On 12/31/2022 at 3:20 PM, Amira said:

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Adolin eventually finds out about Kaladin being a surgebinder and how he reacts when he does

On 12/31/2022 at 4:59 PM, Treamayne said:

. . . While not a wish fulfillment, Ch 56-57 will be a solid step in the direction for which you are waiting. And I, for one, cannot wait to hear your reaction to that sequence.

1 hour ago, Amira said:

Hold on. I thought you meant Adolin was going to find out about Kaladin's surgebinding. But he didn't... at least as far as we know.

I'm sorry. That's why I said it was "not a wish fulfillment." But Adolin's reaction(s) to what just happened pave the way to what you anticipate.

And you get to look forward to one of the best Kaladin/Adolin interactions ever in Ch 66

Spoiler

Kaladin frowned. “Wait. Are you wearing cologne. . . <Spoiler here>

Chapter 58: No! No! What do you mean it's the end of part 3? I need to hear more about Kaladin, not some other people in interludes!

Apparently Sanderson can also be a jerk. At least one of the interludes is Lift (some of the best interludes in all of the books) so you'll get to meet her for the first time. And you'll get more Szeth!

12 hours ago, Amira said:

SA2, chapter 56: Adolin fights against four opponents

That's what I've been waiting for! This is where Kaladin shines (literally).

"Honor is dead. But I'll see what I can do."

12 hours ago, Amira said:

My rep says I'm a Soulcaster. If you're wondering if I'm a person or a fabrial, I'm totally a fabrial :P

This means you're priceless? :) 

SA2, chapter 57: Well, I was right about Kaladin using this to challenge Amaram. Too bad Elhokar is a total jerk.

Yes, that was disappointing indeed.

Oh you gonna love Lift's interlude! It's Awesome! :D 

17 hours ago, Amira said:

Every time for me. The endings for each part of each book are really well placed, though sometimes they overshadow interludes for me a little bit.

17 hours ago, Marabout said:

But but…it’s the Best interlude!

I'll take your word for it. In the meantime, let me talk about Kaladin...

Here is what I wish would happen, even though I don't think it will: Step one, Kaladin gets some spheres. He can ask to light up his cell, or maybe claim that technically he's still working for Dalinar (Dalinar made it clear that going to prison was an order), so he should still get paid. Alternately, he could have someone from Bridge Four fetch some for him and slide them through the bars. He then uses Surgebinding to break out (and Kaladin himself made it clear that he thinks he can). Preferably at night (more dramatic), he flies up and finds Dalinar alone on a high balcony or some such. When Dalinar is shocked and asks Kaladin how he got there, Kaladin tells Dalinar that he quits and says something like, "Find someone else to save your sons, and to protect you next time Szeth attacks, because you'd better believe next time someone who shouldn't be able to reach this balcony catches you here alone, it will be him." And then he can add, "Oh, and next time you appoint someone as leader of the Radiants, make sure he can at least surgebind." And then he flies off.

Okay, that was just me having some fun, but for real, Kaladin should just quit his job at this point if he's fed up with the Lighteyes.

1 hour ago, Amira said:

I'll take your word for it. In the meantime, let me talk about Kaladin...

Here is what I wish would happen, even though I don't think it will: Step one, Kaladin gets some spheres. He can ask to light up his cell, or maybe claim that technically he's still working for Dalinar (Dalinar made it clear that going to prison was an order), so he should still get paid. Alternately, he could have someone from Bridge Four fetch some for him and slide them through the bars. He then uses Surgebinding to break out (and Kaladin himself made it clear that he thinks he can). Preferably at night (more dramatic), he flies up and finds Dalinar alone on a high balcony or some such. When Dalinar is shocked and asks Kaladin how he got there, Kaladin tells Dalinar that he quits and says something like, "Find someone else to save your sons, and to protect you next time Szeth attacks, because you'd better believe next time someone who shouldn't be able to reach this balcony catches you here alone, it will be him." And then he can add, "Oh, and next time you appoint someone as leader of the Radiants, make sure he can at least surgebind." And then he flies off.

Okay, that was just me having some fun, but for real, Kaladin should just quit his job at this point if he's fed up with the Lighteyes.

That would have been cool, but Kaladin is too much a Soldier and already has his orders. He also doesn't trust Lighteyes enough yet to ever Surgebind in front of them yet - and Elhokar's reaction will only make that worse.  

SA2, interlude 9, Lift: I am very confused why you were all saying this was a great interlude. It was VERY long, about a new character I don't yet care about while I'm dying to hear about the main characters, and nothing was particularly exciting about it. Sorry, I'm very hard to please. That being said... next interlude is about Szeth!!!!!!!!!!!

Interlude 10: Szeth is in Urithiru??? And what does it all mean he's been killing for nothing? When do I finally get answers about him??

Edited by Amira

6 hours ago, Amira said:

Interlude 10: Szeth is in Urithiru??? And what does it all mean he's been killing for nothing? When do I finally get answers about him??

You say that as if you want, *gasp* spoilers…

Seriously, though, they might not be coming as quickly as you’d like, but they are coming.

9 hours ago, Amira said:

SA2, interlude 9, Lift: I am very confused why you were all saying this was a great interlude. It was VERY long, about a new character I don't yet care about while I'm dying to hear about the main characters, and nothing was particularly exciting about it. Sorry, I'm very hard to please. That being said... next interlude is about Szeth!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry - I thought for sure you would love Lift's character. So. . . colorful (and weird both in-story and narratively - in a good way).

But, yes, it is a long interlude

You will get some information in this book, more information in stories to come; but, honestly, many of us are still waiting for some of the answers in book 5 (Szeth's flashbacks)

10 hours ago, Amira said:

SA2, interlude 9, Lift: I am very confused why you were all saying this was a great interlude. It was VERY long, about a new character I don't yet care about while I'm dying to hear about the main characters, and nothing was particularly exciting about it. Sorry, I'm very hard to please. That being said... next interlude is about Szeth!!!!!!!!!!!

For me the best part of this interlude was Lift. She is a great and funny character. I like her. And it has little hidden secrets spread here and there. The person trying to kill Lift is the same person that killed Ym, the shoemaker in the second interlude of WoR. That person is... let's just say interesting. And it's not the first or second time he appeared in books.

What I love about interludes is that they not only give us a little break from main characters and main events, but also introduce us to other new side characters, in other parts of this world. We have Szeth, Rysn, Lift and many others from all around the world. We can look at what is happening at different parts of Roshar while the main heroes struggle with their challenges. This makes the whole world alive and more immersive. And that gives us, the readers, important information that we couldn't from the main characters pov.

10 hours ago, Amira said:

The problem with Szeth in SA is that there is so little of him there! I also want to know more, but so many questions are still left unanswered. However, I'm not trying to discourage you, because Szeth storyline in WoR is satisfying. There will be answers provided to you.

I guess I’m weird…

When reading through the books I’m less concerned about the main character stories (still into them of course) and more fascinated by seeing more of the magic system.  Give me all the Radiants!  I want to see each type in action and see what they can do!  So for me Lift’s chapter was perfect.  It let me see a new type of Radiant (a slippery one!), it expanded on the mysterious killer, and it gave details of a new culture (to be honest I was getting a little tired of the Alethi chest-beaters).

I do understand wanting to get to the finale of this book though…it’s quite amazing the first time.

Enjoy!

14 hours ago, Amira said:

I didn't like lift either when she first appeared. i reacted a lot like you, why should i care about her.

i got turned around in her own novella

i think you already have the tools to figure it out by now.

szeth is truthless, some kind of awful criminal for his kind, and he's been sentenced to obey anyone holding his oathstone - even though he'd rather not to. that much is clear as of book 1. then when kaladin surgebinds in front of him, he's very perturbed. if that's not clear enough, i think another piece of the puzzle will be dropped in the next interlude

That's ought to be interesting. Kalafin at jail leads to some fascinating stuff, IMO - can't wait for you to see them!

This is my favorite book in SA - mostly due to some chapters you are yet to read that I loved, and I suspect you might dislike. Oh well, everyone sees things differently. For example, I don't really care much about Szeth.

Also, I'm kind of disappointed that there was a religious discussion that mentioned Judaism I missed here! I know, it's not the point of this thread, but I'm kind of interested in such discussions.

There's a thread for religious discussion in General Discussion, if anyone here is interested, and I'm open for questions about Judaism. (Yes, I had to say that, thank you.)

Anyway, good reading! 

On 1/15/2023 at 3:57 AM, TheOtherDave said:

You say that as if you want, *gasp* spoilers…

Seriously, though, they might not be coming as quickly as you’d like, but they are coming.

Long as they're coming, I guess...

On 1/15/2023 at 7:22 AM, Treamayne said:

I'm sorry - I thought for sure you would love Lift's character. So. . . colorful (and weird both in-story and narratively - in a good way).

I'll probably grow to like her eventually, what with having her own novella and all.

On 1/15/2023 at 7:48 AM, alder24 said:

The problem with Szeth in SA is that there is so little of him there!

I know, right?

On 1/15/2023 at 11:05 AM, Marabout said:

I do understand wanting to get to the finale of this book though…it’s quite amazing the first time.

OMG I cannot wait. Is it as great as book 1? We're gonna have the Kaladin/Szeth rematch, so it HAS to be...

On 1/15/2023 at 0:32 PM, Trutharchivist said:

Also, I'm kind of disappointed that there was a religious discussion that mentioned Judaism I missed here! I know, it's not the point of this thread, but I'm kind of interested in such discussions.

It was kind of cool! WoK lead us to a discussion about religion and it didn't turn ugly or anything, I'm proud of everyone here :D

SA2, interlude 11: Oh my, Eshonai has transformed into quite the villain! I am very interested in hearing more about the group of listeners/parshendi who escaped into the chasms!

Other thoughts about previous chapters/interludes: So both Dalinar and Lift have sought the old magic. We know what Dalinar lost (his memory), but not what he gained, and we know what Lift gained (the ability to turn her body's normal energy into Stormlight and "touch" the cognitive realm) but we don't know what she lost.

Next chapter is about Kaladin yay!!!!!!!

My rep says I'm a Shade. What book is that from?

Edited by Amira