I'm reading The Stormlight Archive for the first time

Amira

3 hours ago, Amira said:

SA2, chapter 36, Shallan: LOL, Shallan and Kaladin's insult match was great! And Syl and Pattern haven't even met yet.

On the one hand, Shallan finally found somebody with whom to match wits; unfortunately, on the other hand, she also alienated him and stole his boots. . .

very minor spoiler:

Spoiler

The "joke" that never dies

16 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

eventually kaladin will learn to use his powers, and there would be no point in riding.

Can't wait!

SA2, chapter 37: Nice, Adolin has another duel lined up. Go Adolin!

Chapter 38: I like that Adolin and Shallan like each other from the beginning. Seems like Shallan was made for politics. Funny how Dalinar can just openly announce his scheme to have Adolin win everyone's Shards. All the main characters are finally in the same place! Only took a book and a half :lol:

Hm, my rep says I'm a Dakhor Monk. What book is that from?

Edited by Amira

4 hours ago, Amira said:

Can't wait!

SA2, chapter 37: Nice, Adolin has another duel lined up. Go Adolin!

Yeah, my favorite duel was the one in Ch 29, but this next one sets up the awesomeness that is Ch 56/7.

Best part of Ch 37 though. . .

Spoiler

“Nice to see you too, Melali,” Adolin said. “How’s your sister?”

“Off limits.”

Oh, right. That was what he’d done. Honest mistake.

It's just the casual way the thoughts play out that makes it so funny. I think without the Adolin viewpoints he would come off as a more malicious lech, but with his viewpoints it almost becomes humorously oblivious in nature.

Chapter 38: I like that Adolin and Shallan like each other from the beginning. Seems like Shallan was made for politics. All the main characters are finally in the same place! Only took a book and a half

True, and it's set up similar to a classic comic crossover - nobody likes or trusts the others:

Adolin distrusts Kaladin because of the Tower in TWoK

Kaladin distrusts all lighteyes (and Shallan's boot-snatching doesn't help)

Shallan is just fish-out-of-water since what happened with Jasnah and her uncertainty of the Alethi

SA2, chapter 40: Shallan gets settled at Sebarial's, and I kinda like him. Kaladin training had better be next!

16 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Yeah, Shallan flashbacks were rather boring in my opinion.

Who's in book 3? Dalinar?

7 hours ago, Amira said:

Kaladin training had better be next!

Did you peek? Though maybe not the way you envision, and it is one of my favorite chapters in this book for other reasons.  The whole section around Spoiler (check after chapter 42):

Spoiler

“No. How do you know these things? Aren’t you a soldier?”

“I know some field medicine.”

“Field medicine . . . for epilepsy?”

I would almost consider this a spoiler, if the chapter name itself wasn't already a spoiler. Still, just in case, I think the chapter you are really looking forward to is:

Spoiler

Chapter 52 - Into the Sky

9 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Chapter 52 - Into the Sky

Ooh, can't wait! Why is it so far away though? :unsure:

SA2, chapter 41: Yay, Kaladin finally learned to walk on walls! It kind of makes sense that he had to see Szeth do it first. I like that Renarin wanted to join Bridge Four! Yikes, what is Kaladin going to do about Moash?

15 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Did you peek? Though maybe not the way you envision, and it is one of my favorite chapters in this book for other reasons.  The whole section around Spoiler (check after chapter 42):

Hide contents

“No. How do you know these things? Aren’t you a soldier?”

“I know some field medicine.”

“Field medicine . . . for epilepsy?”

That was 41.

5 hours ago, Ishikk said:

Well...

?

SA2, chapter 42: Aah, Shallan can completely transform her appearance! Both she and Kaladin are making some serious progress with their powers. She's going to meet the Ghostbloods, so scary!

Edit: chapter 43: Pattern saves the day again, telling Shallan she's being tailed. Shallan is going in over her head yet again. One of these days she's going to get in big trouble. 

Edited by Amira

19 hours ago, Amira said:

?

Hard to explain without spoiling anything :)

19 hours ago, Amira said:

SA2, chapter 42: Aah, Shallan can completely transform her appearance! Both she and Kaladin are making some serious progress with their powers. She's going to meet the Ghostbloods, so scary!

Who do you like more? Shallan or Kaladin?

2 hours ago, Ishikk said:

Who do you like more? Shallan or Kaladin?

Kaladin. It's not even close.

SA2, chapter 44, Kaladin: Well, now we know for sure it was Moash. I really don't want Kaladin to get in trouble. What a mess. I hope it ends okay, at least for Kaladin. Apart from that, nice to see him training.

30 minutes ago, Amira said:

SA2, chapter 44, Kaladin: Well, now we know for sure it was Moash. I really don't want Kaladin to get in trouble. What a mess. I hope it ends okay, at least for Kaladin. Apart from that, nice to see him training.

I'd be curious, before spoilers happen, to have your unbiased opinion on moash so far.

there have been... quite hot debates of his actions in the rest of this book. before you see them, what's your opinion on moash according to what you've seen so far?

I'm a bit late to it, but the stretch of WoR you're in now is my favorite across all of Stormlight. There's still plenty of awesomeness yet to come, but I still remember my own first readthrough of these chapters.

Out of curiosity, do you think that Kaladin is in over his head as well as Shallan? She clearly is, but I'm interested in how you perceive Kaladin's storylines too in that regard.

29 minutes ago, Ishikk said:

Shallan's flashbacks aren't nearly as good as Kaladin's too.

I agree and disagree. They are different. Kaladin's flashbacks provide great character arc and are more warm and family centered. They are more relatable to us. Yet Shallan's flashbacks offer something else - mystery and secrets. There is many little details hidden in Shallan's flashbacks. She is also fun to read. I found myself equally as engaged in Shallan's chapters as in Kaladin's, on second and further rereads.

7 minutes ago, alder24 said:

She is also fun to read. I found myself equally as engaged in Shallan's chapters as in Kaladin's, on second and further rereads.

I just could not get into her, there was also a little too much internal conflict for it to be fun. I still appreciate her chapters though.

On 1/6/2023 at 6:36 PM, king of nowhere said:

I'd be curious, before spoilers happen, to have your unbiased opinion on moash so far.

there have been... quite hot debates of his actions in the rest of this book. before you see them, what's your opinion on moash according to what you've seen so far?

I can see why Moash did what he did. He didn't tell Kaladin about his past, because he knew Kaladin would never help him conspire against the king that they were supposed to protect. Moash should have confided in Kaladin much like Kaladin decided to confide in Dalinar about Amaram, but he didn't, because Moash is the kind of man who takes matters into his own hands. The problem is, Moash was sloppy. Shallan would have done a better job. Kaladin would have done a better job. Moash did a very sloppy job if he seriously expected not to get caught. As soon as Kaladin asked him about his involvement with the balcony, Moash was toast. Now he's in a very big pickle, but I'm sure he doesn't realize it yet. Moash is going to get into more trouble. The best course of action for him at this point is probably to cut his losses - either promise Kaladin he'd never do it again if Kaladin keeps quiet, or straight up leave. But I expect he will do neither. There's really no good resolution for him at this point, and he's too proud/stubborn to even see the trap he's walked into.

On 1/6/2023 at 7:51 PM, Returned said:

I'm a bit late to it, but the stretch of WoR you're in now is my favorite across all of Stormlight. There's still plenty of awesomeness yet to come, but I still remember my own first readthrough of these chapters.

You all: "Isn't this part great? What do you think of this? And how about that?" Me: "So, um, when does Kaladin learn to fly and when does he fight Szeth?" :lol:
In all seriousness, though, I understand where you're coming from, since both Kaladin and Shallan are starting to really figure out their powers and come into their own.

On 1/6/2023 at 7:51 PM, Returned said:

Out of curiosity, do you think that Kaladin is in over his head as well as Shallan? She clearly is, but I'm interested in how you perceive Kaladin's storylines too in that regard.

No, he is not... not yet. While Shallan is very capable, you can clearly feel how she's a rookie, still figuring out her way around the world and people and who she wants to be. Kaladin started book one knowing how to lead. His struggle at the beginning was * whether * to try and help Bridge Four, whereas a normal person probably would have thought trying to save them wasn't an option because there was nothing he could do. Kaladin is too capable to be in over his head even now, but we * are * starting to see things potentially starting to fall apart for him. Moash is going to be a problem. Shen is going to be a problem. Amaram is going to be a problem. The remaining question is, can Kaladin up his game in time? I'm crossing my fingers that the answer is yes.

8 hours ago, Ishikk said:

100% He is just a more interesting and fun character to read than Shallan. Shallan's flashbacks aren't nearly as good as Kaladin's too.

Personally, I don't like any of the flashbacks. I understand how they contribute, but I wish we didn't have to have them as part of the story.
SA2, chapter 45, Shallan's past: Was that messenger another world hopper? He spoke of shards and somehow it didn't seem like he was talking about Blade and Plate.
So I know this is still very far, but after WoR, do I read OB or Edgedancer?

35 minutes ago, Amira said:

SA2, chapter 45, Shallan's past: Was that messenger another world hopper? He spoke of shards and somehow it didn't seem like he was talking about Blade and Plate.

The Messenger is somebody you have already seen in TWoK, and when that person is back in Words of Radiance, Shallan will make the connection with you.

So I know this is still very far, but after WoR, do I read OB or Edgedancer?

Edgedancer comes after Words of Radiance, but before Oathbringer. I predict it will be a favorite of yours. . .

I can see why Moash did what he did. <snip>

Personally, I don't like any of the flashbacks. I understand how they contribute, but I wish we didn't have to have them as part of the story.

Good answers. One and all.

It's amazing how many characters (and people) who find themselves digging a metaphorical hole actually believe they can "dig" their way out instead of just getting in deeper.

23 hours ago, Treamayne said:

The Messenger is somebody you have already seen in TWoK, and when that person is back in Words of Radiance, Shallan will make the connection with you.

Hoid?

SA2, chapter 46: Yay, Kaladin gave Shen a spear! I'm proud of you, Kaladin. The god Rock met also sounds like Hoid. I wonder if Rock will recognize him next time he shows up as Wit. Yikes, I wonder what Kaladin is going to do about the group wanting to kill Elhokar. Now he knows who they are. Will he go to Dalinar? He can't exactly just ignore their existence. If he does decide to go to Dalinar, I assume he'll tell Moash first... Either way, it's going to be a mess. * Someone * will hate Kaladin, whichever way it goes. I wonder how ugly it's going to get.

12 minutes ago, Amira said:

Either way, it's going to be a mess. * Someone * will hate Kaladin, whichever way it goes. I wonder how ugly it's going to get.

It's deeper and uglier than that. <slight spoiler described in-text soon>

Spoiler

Syl is an Honorspren, and he now he may have conflicting oaths

13 minutes ago, Amira said:

Hoid?

Hmmmmm, possibly. . . <grin>

13 hours ago, Amira said:

Yay, Kaladin gave Shen a spear! I'm proud of you, Kaladin.

This moment is just wholesome. Kaladin cares about everyone. And he cared about Shen also in Way of Kings - during one of his last attacks, when they were using bones of Parshendi, he let Shen stay in tha camp so he wouldn't have to witness what they did with those bones. 

It's interesting to see your opinion about Moash.

On 8.01.2023 at 2:22 AM, Amira said:

Me: "So, um, when does Kaladin learn to fly and when does he fight Szeth?" :lol:

That was me as well, when I read the book for the first time. I just wanted my favorite characters to finally clash. But on the other hand I didn't because one of them could end up being killed and I didn't want any of these to to be dead!