I'm reading The Stormlight Archive for the first time

Amira

1 hour ago, Amira said:

SA2 ch10, Shallan's past: Huh? That was barely more than corpses and a lullaby... Guess I'll find out more later...

There's a lot packed in that tiny chapter; but yes, you'll get more through the book. Shallan's flashbacks are more "YMMV" than Kaladin's*, and develop a bit slower.

(Note*: Some love them, some hate them, and some are indifferent)

4 hours ago, Amira said:

SA2 ch10, Shallan's past: Huh? That was barely more than corpses and a lullaby... Guess I'll find out more later...

Lol, I hope you're OK with the "guess I'll find out more later" feeling if you want to keep reading SA! For what it's worth, I've thought the payoffs we've seen so far were mostly worth it.

SA2 ch11, Shallan: Very cool that the santhid rescued Shallan. Also cool that she was picked up by the same slaver who sold Kaladin to Sadeas. Shallan is trying to be Jasnah, which I guess is part of her journey for self discovery, but I look forward to when she figures out who she is rather than directly trying to copy someone else. Although she failed at soulcasting this time, I feel like her skills are developing. The ability to go into Shadesmar only halfway is sure to be super handy.

My rep says I'm an envisager. I don't think I know what that is.

Edited by Amira

34 minutes ago, Amira said:

SA2 ch11, Shallan: Very cool that the santhid rescued Shallan. Also cool that she was picked up by the same slaver who sold Kaladin to Sadeas. Shallan is trying to be Jasnah, which I guess is part of her journey for self discovery, but I look forward to when she figures out who she is rather than directly trying to copy someone else. Although she failed at soulcasting this time, I feel like her skills are developing. The ability to go into Shadesmar only halfway is sure to be super handy.

You may have missed the deleted interlude that goes with Ch 11 (Note the note at the top. . . )

That said, Shallan's journey to the Shattered plains should help meet your expectations.

My rep says I'm an envisager. I don't think I know what that is.

You will get this info in this book as you learn more backstories from Bridge Four. Anticipation Spoiler:

Spoiler

More specifically, Chapter 71 of WoR

On 10/1/2022 at 9:17 PM, Treamayne said:

You may have missed the deleted interlude that goes with Ch 11 (Note the note at the top. . . )

LOL

On 10/3/2022 at 6:42 PM, Sorrowsprenslaugh said:

This has been one of the best threads to read since I have joined the shard. Love seeing how much you are enjoying a wonderful series. Book 2 is wonderful and I can't wait to follow you on this journey!

Aww, thank you so much!!

SA2 ch12, Kaladin: Yay for Kaladin practicing his Stormlight abilities with the others! I was a little disappointed that he hasn't learned to fly yet, but I should have known it would be a while. Meanwhile Amaram shows up. When someone informed Dalinar of this in the last Dalinar chapter, I had no idea who it was, but as soon as that one guard told Kaladin in this chapter that a 'hero' had arrived, I knew who it was. I hope Kaladin will tell Dalinar the truth about Amaram, but knowing Kaladin's reluctance to confide in Dalinar, he might not. Still, I look forward to seeing Amaram's reaction to seeing Kaladin. This marks the end of part 1, and next up are interludes, but this time... no Szeth :( I want Szeth! I wonder if he will arrive on the Shattered Plains before or after Shallan. My guess is... simultaneously? Just because that would be kind of cool. Though maybe it would be overkill, you know, we need to spread the exciting bits evenly throughout the book, haha.

2 hours ago, BinarySecond said:

Ah Amaram showing up, I never recall a moment I feel more outrage at injustice than this.

I do - at the end of Ch 55 (spoilers)

Spoiler

When he shows up at the menagerie as "the head of the refounded Radiants"

Sorry Amara, you'll have something to dread looking forward to (or look forward to dreading - how ever you prefer)

On 10/1/2022 at 9:17 PM, Treamayne said:

That said, Shallan's journey to the Shattered plains should help meet your expectations.

You will get this info in this book as you learn more backstories from Bridge Four. Anticipation Spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

More specifically, Chapter 71 of WoR

That was a "deleted interlude"? I thought for sure it was actually in WoR.

Edited by Ta'veren Kaladin

On 10/5/2022 at 6:29 AM, Treamayne said:

I do - at the end of Ch 55 (spoilers)

Reveal hidden contents

When he shows up at the menagerie as "the head of the refounded Radiants"

Sorry Amara, you'll have something to dread looking forward to (or look forward to dreading - how ever you prefer)

Is it worse than Sadeas betraying Dalinar in book 1?

SA2, interlude 1, Eshonai: How exciting, a Parshendi pov for the first time! So the Parshmen are really Parshendi in slaveform. My guess is that Shen will change form at some point! What form did the Parshendi wear when they interacted with the humans in the prologue and before that? Ha! I knew it! Urithiru was on the Shattered Plains! Can't wait for more Eshonai pov. I feel like I learned so much!

29 minutes ago, Amira said:

It depends on how you view things, and you'll have to let us know what you think when you get there (you'll know it when you do, I think!). I hated it more than Sadeas' betrayal.

Out of curiosity, now that you've got a good bit of SA under your belt, how do you feel about the interludes and the pacing of the books' main events? I tend to like the interludes a lot, but am also usually chomping at the bit to get back to the main plotlines.

22 hours ago, Amira said:

21 hours ago, Returned said:

It depends on how you view things, and you'll have to let us know what you think when you get there (you'll know it when you do, I think!). I hated it more than Sadeas' betrayal.

Concur. I would say that physically, it is nowhere near the same level as Sadeas' betrayal at the Tower. However, I would put the mental/emotional impact to Kaladin on-par with the mental/emotional impact to Dalinar at the Tower.

Out of curiosity, now that you've got a good bit of SA under your belt, how do you feel about the interludes and the pacing of the books' main events? I tend to like the interludes a lot, but am also usually chomping at the bit to get back to the main plotlines.

I am also curious for your thoughts on this Amara. For me, I liked the interludes (generally) for the glimpse they give of other regions/cultures and thought they helped make the book feel "shorter."

By that I mean it seemed more like reading a series and taking a short story break between each book for a slightly different pace - as opposed to something like Wheel of Time where it's just a straight 1000 pages nonstop of the same thing . . .

I've done a re-read skipping the interludes and it did feel different to me without those short chances to "catch your breath" (but then, I've also done character rereads - going through the first three books only reading Kaladin or Dalinar/Adolin chapters).

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

On 10/7/2022 at 6:42 PM, Returned said:

I like the main story better, unless the interlude is about Szeth (and now I can add "or Eshonai").

SA2, interlude 2, Ym: Another surgebinder! Or not, because now he's dead! Nice to hear more about the Iriali.

On 10/12/2022 at 4:22 PM, Amira said:

I like the main story better, unless the interlude is about Szeth (and now I can add "or Eshonai").

SA2, interlude 2, Ym: Another surgebinder! Or not, because now he's dead! Nice to hear more about the Iriali.

I was so bumbed that we meet another surgebinder and hes just dead shortly after.. 

SA2 interlude 3, Rysn: cool to see this character again. And was that hanging Aimian guy the same guy who was cataloging spren? I wonder why Rysn has such horrible opinions of the Aimian. So the whole trade was meant to be a test, but I wonder what would have counted as passing? Now Rysn can no longer use her legs, yikes!

There's a lot to look forward to with Rysn, the Novella that's set between SA3 and SA4 ('Dawnshard') is about her. Not to mention some more very interesting interludes. It's worthwhile to keep the characters connected to her story (including pets!) in memory. 

This is somewhat of a spoiler but not a very big one I think, and a very interesting thing about Rysn, so decide whether you want to see it (it reveals one aspect of Rysn's future): 

Spoiler

It's nice to have some interesting people developing into main characters who are not / do not become Knights Radiant.

Sorry about the double post, I know it's not supposed to be done, but I didn't manage to add quotes to my previous post. If that's possible and some admin sees this and can tell me how it's done, it will be appreciated!

21 hours ago, Amira said:

And was that hanging Aimian guy the same guy who was cataloging spren?

Good catch!!

21 hours ago, Amira said:

I wonder why Rysn has such horrible opinions of the Aimian.

Information on Aimians will be forthcoming VERY SLOWLY, and most of them in WOBs. To be on the safe side, I'll spoiler the rest of this, but you asked, and I think there are no serious spoilers here.

Spoiler

There are two types, and you will learn a lot about one of them in Dawnshard, and before that a little in the Lift Novella ('Edgedancer') that takes place between SA2 and SA3, though I don't think the connection to 'Amians' is made there. But that's the other kind of Amiens. Information about Axies the Collector's kind is still very sparse. 

6 hours ago, Amira said:

SA2 interlude 3, Rysn: cool to see this character again. And was that hanging Aimian guy the same guy who was cataloging spren? I wonder why Rysn has such horrible opinions of the Aimian. So the whole trade was meant to be a test, but I wonder what would have counted as passing? Now Rysn can no longer use her legs, yikes!

If you recall Axies' first interlude, he discussed the bigotry associated with his race (Siah Aimian), that was an example from outside of his point of view. You may not remember Axies mentioning the Curse of Kind, and we still don't know much about what that is, but the bigotry that Siah Aimians face is implied to be due to that (at least in part).

3 hours ago, Erklitt said:

Sorry about the double post, I know it's not supposed to be done, but I didn't manage to add quotes to my previous post. If that's possible and some admin sees this and can tell me how it's done, it will be appreciated!

At the bottom left of the post you will see a "+" icon and a "Quote" link (as well as "Edit" on your own post so you can update it). On the bottom right you will see an up arrow.

• The Up Arrow is how you thank people or "like" a post
  • The "Quote" link is exactly that, when you click it the quote will be added to the reply at the bottom of the thread wherever the cursor is
    • So, if you have already started to reply before you decide to quote you can then add the quote before or after your text depending on the cursor location when you click "Quote"
  • The + icon is multi-quote. As you read a thread, if you want to quote multiple items you click that for each post
    • As you click +, you should see a toaster pop-up on the bottom right of the browser window showing how many quotes you will have
    • They are added in the order you click the + icon, not in the original post order, so you can set the order of quotes for your reply
    • When you are ready to reply, click on the toaster pop-up and it will take you directly to the reply section and add the quotes automatically
  • Finally, you can also highlight a small section of a post and, when hovering over the highlit portion, click the "Quote" button that pops up.
  • Also note that you can move quotes after they have been added to your reply.
    • For example, you add a quote and realize there are no empty lines below it for you to type - so you can hit "enter" before the quote to make an empty line then when you hover over a quote you will see a 4-way arrow at the top-left that you can use to drag the quote up (or down)  and move the quote to before the empty line. . .

Hope that helps.

Edited by Treamayne

Thanks @Treamayne and @Greywatch. The problem was not about the mechanics of quoting per se, but that the quotes always ended up in a new post, even when I had the cursor inside the post I tried to edit. Found a way now though: cutting it out of the new post and inserting it in the one I'm editing.

Edited by Erklitt

SA2, interlude 4, Eshonai: my guess is that stormform will work. I look forward to seeing what it is and how the Alethi react to it. I'm a little confused why Eshonai has to go out into the storm where before they explained that using a trapped spren was an alternative? Is it because it's a new form? Still curious what form the Parshendi wore in the prologue. 

11 minutes ago, Amira said:

SA2, interlude 4, Eshonai: my guess is that stormform will work. I look forward to seeing what it is and how the Alethi react to it. I'm a little confused why Eshonai has to go out into the storm where before they explained that using a trapped spren was an alternative? Is it because it's a new form? Still curious what form the Parshendi wore in the prologue. 

to change form, parshendi - listeners, as they call themselves - have to go into a storm and attract the right spren. having the spren into a gem removes the need for finding the spren, but they still need a storm. specifically, they need the investiture that the storm carries. probably it would be possible to find a way to fuel the transformation with just stormlight, but such magitek is way above their tech level.

I forgot to say one thing about the Eshonai chapters. The Parshendi are able to jump huge distance between chasms, but I feel like we don't see any other evidence of their legs' great strength. For example, there was that tower the Five met on top of, and from the descriptions, I wouldn't have been able to tell that it wasn't a human climbing it.

SA2 ch13: fun little Shallan chapter. I love her interactions with Tvlakv and his men, and especially Shallan talking to Pattern. Can't wait to see her arriving on the Shattered Plains. The loss of both her art and the broken Soulcaster is a well placed plot twist. I like the hint that drawing is to Shallan what fighting is to Kaladin.

1 hour ago, Amira said:

I forgot to say one thing about the Eshonai chapters. The Parshendi are able to jump huge distance between chasms, but I feel like we don't see any other evidence of their legs' great strength. For example, there was that tower the Five met on top of, and from the descriptions, I wouldn't have been able to tell that it wasn't a human climbing it.

There will be more on this from Listener POV in future books. But yes, it doesn't seem appreciably different from inside the POV since you don't have any comparison with a human trying to climb those stairs to meet with the Five. Example: would Kal's spear kata have seemed so extraordinary without the comparison of the bridgeman's reactions from outside his POV? Otherwise it was a simple flow, step, stab, turn. . .

SA2 ch13:  Can't wait to see her arriving on the Shattered Plains.

For most, this will either make you laugh or cringe. . .