I'm reading The Stormlight Archive for the first time

Amira

3 hours ago, Amira said:

Chapter 68

They did it! Also, this chapter is called Eshoni and we never learn who that is, so I assume it's the Parshendi Shardbearer

Yes, as mentioned/warned way back in Page 4 of this thread:

Spoiler
On 7/2/2022 at 7:29 PM, Amira said:

By the way, do we know who the two characters on the cover are?

On 7/2/2022 at 9:33 PM, king of nowhere said:

Dalinar and Eshonai. You still haven't met the second one.

On 7/2/2022 at 11:04 PM, Treamayne said:

You will meet Eshonai in the same chapter that bears her name (though her name isn't used on-screen until book two).

Edited by Treamayne
Formatting

13 minutes ago, Amira said:

DALINAR TRADED HIS SHARDBLADE FOR ALL THE BRIDGEMEN!!!!! It was worth reading 1000 pages just to read that moment. OMG, that was the BEST. Right in Kaladin's face, too, LOL:lol: I cannot get over how awesome that was.

The books only get better from there.

36 minutes ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

The books only get better from there.

That sounds amazing.

Chapter 70: Shallan killed her father?! So wait, all other Soulcasters have to use the fabriells, but Jasnah and Shallan have this special ability of Soulcasting without them?

11 minutes ago, Amira said:

That sounds amazing.

Chapter 70: Shallan killed her father?! So wait, all other Soulcasters have to use the fabriells, but Jasnah and Shallan have this special ability of Soulcasting without them?

Sound like anybody else you know doing things they shouldn't be able to do?

48 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Sound like anybody else you know doing things they shouldn't be able to do?

I assume you mean Kaladin?

Chapter 71, Szeth: So Taravangian is the Big Bad. Is he also behind Gavilar's murder? And now we know who's collecting the pre-death quotes, though still not for what purpose. Once again Szeth falters and I have to wonder if his lack of free will is magical or not. I really hope it is. I don't want to lose my favorite character. I don't want to find out he's stupid enough to believe he has to murder all those people when really he doesn't. Next target is Dalinar; I assume we'll see that scene in book 2, and I can't wait to see Szeth go up against Kaladin. Kaladin had better hasten to learn more about Stormlight magic!

12 hours ago, Amira said:

That sounds amazing.

Chapter 70: Shallan killed her father?!

Oh, boy. this barely scratches the surface of all the stuff that shallan hides in her past.

like, we have 4 books now, and we keep finding new trauma in shallan's past. and there are hints there may yet be some leftover for book 5 too. stormlight archive is brandon taking kaladin and shallan and asking himself "how miserable I can make those two people?".

and the funny stuff is that while shallan killed her father, and she broke up with SPOILER, and she did SPOILER and SPOILER, and she will SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER, she's still a fundamentally good person who did all the SPOILER above either for good reason, or by accident. Sometimes both.

BY the way,

On 20/8/2022 at 6:20 AM, king of nowhere said:

Chapter 50, Shallan: Shallan's world is falling apart. Honestly, I was more surprised that she lasted as long as she did. But wait, I thought Jasnah did eat some bread this time. And Kabsal died because someone swapped the strawberry jam with something else? I'm very confused.

good job spotting that, i missed it the first time. when you'll get there, it will blow your mind. I didn't care much for the whole shallan plot at first, until I got at the conclusion.

was my prediction accurate? was your mind adeqately blown?

On 8/31/2022 at 5:16 AM, BinarySecond said:

It's all dragon chasing from here!

I'm not familiar with this expression.

On 8/31/2022 at 10:28 AM, king of nowhere said:

was my prediction accurate? was your mind adeqately blown?

Not by this revelation, but I'll make a
List of WoK moments that blew my mind (or that impressed or surprised me):
1) Dalinar trading his Shardblade for the Bridgemen
2) Sadeas ditching Dalinar on the Tower
3) The revelation that the most OP character (Szeth) doesn't have free will
4) Kaladin transforming the Bridge Four crew throughout the course of the book
5) Shallan drawing the symbolheads
6) Shallan going to Shadesmar

Chapter 72, Shallan: The Parshmen are Voidbringers? What does that make the Parshendi? Also, if Shallan stays with Jasnah, what will become of her family?

Chapter 73, Kaladin: That was one of my all time favorite chapters! I loved Kaladin talking to Dalinar; it makes me very excited for book 2. I also loved Bridge Four asking to learn Stormlight magic. Rock thinks it's impossible, but I really hope he's wrong. For both things (Kaladin's new position in Dalinar's army and trying to teach Stormlight to Bridge Four), I can't wait for Words of Radiance.

Chapter 74, Shallan: Jasnah and Shallan will be going to the Shattered Plains. This feels like setting up for the next book.

Chapter 75, Dalinar: That was scary and very grim. I'd have to go back and look at the chapter where it seemed like he was telling Dalinar to trust Sadeas. So the whole time he couldn't hear Dalinar, but at the end Dalinar asked who he was, and the guy answered him... was that supposed to be another coincidence? So God is dead... I wonder what it means. Also, Odium is a Shard, right? Does that mean the Almighty is another Shard, or something else?

2 hours ago, Amira said:

Chapter 72, Shallan: A[The Parshmen are Voidbringers? What does that make the Parshendi?] Also, if Shallan stays with Jasnah, B [what will become of her family?]

For A, there is much more to learn here, enjoy the ride.

For B, it is discussed early in Words of Radiance.

List of WoK moments that blew my mind (or that impressed or surprised me):
1) Dalinar trading his Shardblade for the Bridgemen
2) Sadeas ditching Dalinar on the Tower
3) The revelation that the most OP character (Szeth) doesn't have free will
4) Kaladin transforming the Bridge Four crew throughout the course of the book
5) Shallan drawing the symbolheads
6) Shallan going to Shadesmar

I think that list, in varying orders, goes for most of us. Though I would add "Kaladin commanding Dalinar's troops and Adolin on the Tower" to that list.

54 minutes ago, Amira said:

Chapter 73, Kaladin: That was one of my all time favorite chapters! I loved Kaladin talking to Dalinar; it makes me very excited for book 2. I also loved Bridge Four asking to learn Stormlight magic. Rock thinks it's impossible, but I really hope he's wrong. For both things (Kaladin's new position in Dalinar's army and trying to teach Stormlight to Bridge Four), I can't wait for Words of Radiance.

Glad you liked the chapter. . . and are looking forward to Words of Radiance

Chapter 74, Shallan: Jasnah and Shallan will be going to the Shattered Plains. This feels like setting up for the next book.

Oh, absotively posilutely.

Chapter 75, Dalinar: That was scary and very grim. I'd have to go back and look at the chapter where it seemed like he was telling Dalinar to trust Sadeas. So the whole time he couldn't hear Dalinar, but at the end Dalinar asked who he was, and the guy answered him... was that supposed to be another coincidence?

You should have enough information to determine this. . . wording matters.

So God is dead... I wonder what it means. Also, Odium is a Shard, right? Does that mean the Almighty is another Shard, or something else?

I don't know if this is "venting questions" or a real request for possible minor spoilers - so I will tag it and you can peak if you want

Spoiler

The being the Alethi worshiped as the Almighty is the Shard Honor. Honor and Odium are (were) two of three Shards in the Roshar system currently.

Spoiler

"I am dead" is that Odium killed Honor - but for beings like Shards, death is more of a "process" than an "event" which is why he could both "be dead" and "create the visions."

Epilogue: That guy came back! And died! The one they left behind! But the Heralds die repeatedly. Does that mean we'll see him again?

That's it! I read the entire book! I'll write overall impressions tomorrow or something before starting book 2.

Some fun tidbits for you @Amira hope you'll enjoy them: 

1. The title of chapter 75 is "in the top room",  remember where this phrase was mentioned? See chapter 57, when Hoid is telling the story about Wandersail:

“Derethil and his men came out of the tower a short time later, carrying a desiccated corpse in fine robes and jewelry. ‘This is your emperor?’ Derethil demanded. ‘We found him in the top room, alone.’"

2. In the epigraph to chapter 59: "Above the final void I hang, friends behind, friends before. The feast I must drink clings to their faces, and the words I must speak spark in my mind. The old oaths will be spoken anew."  you should be able to guess now who is the subject of this, and what event it's referencing. See the end of chapter 67.

If you enjoy such things, There are many more, but i'll leave them for you to find in the reread if you will do one one day, its more fun that way.

5 hours ago, Treamayne said:

don't know if this is "venting questions" or a real request for possible minor spoilers - so I will tag it and you can peak if you want

Reveal hidden contents

If you have read this spoiler, there is a small fun tidbit related to it 

Spoiler

In the title of chapter 2

15 hours ago, Amira said:

I'm not familiar with this expression.

"chasing the dragon" refers to the elusive pursuit of a high equal to the user’s first in the use of a drug, which after acclimation is no longer achievable."

In this case drugs is BrandoSando works

Edited by BinarySecond
Correcting an error in punctuation.

Thank you everyone for following along! It's been so much fun and I look forward to book 2!

I renamed the topic from "I'm reading The Way of Kings for the first time" to "I'm reading The Stormlight Archive for the first time" so I can just hop right into Words of Radiance.

In summary:

I'll start with what I didn't like as much about the book. It was kinda slow. Some parts felt drawn out more than necessary, and the internal struggle, the back and forth, of some of the characters just isn't my favorite thing to read about. All the philosophical / moral questions also aren't really my thing. Oh, and Kal's flashbacks were too depressing :(

What I liked: Szeth!! (Okay, you kinda realized that by now.) In all honesty, though, I enjoyed all three main characters: Kaladin, Dalinar, and Shallan. Kaladin was just amazing,  and you probably all know what I'm talking about so I don't have to elaborate. His instincts for leadership were so fun to read about. Shallan comes across as sooo resourceful. She kept getting herself into impossible situations (convincing Jasnah to take her on the first time, stealing the soulcaster, soulcasting the blood, convincing Jasnah to take her on the second time (at the end)) and getting out of them like it's no big deal. And Dalinar, well, Dalinar pulled that thing where he traded his Shardblade for the bridgemen. I really don't need to say anything else.

One moment I forgot to mention that I really liked was when, after Sadeas betrayed Dalinar, Kaladin was trying to find a reason to go save Dalinar. He FAILED to find a reason, and then just said, storm it, and went and saved him anyway. That was a spectacular moment.

The worldbuilding, the setting, is so much part of the story. Like, to even explain Kaladin's arc to someone who hasn't read the book, you have to first explain what bridgemen are, what the Shattered Plains are, etc. etc. So that was really cool. I feel like I don't know as much about the magic system as I'd like to know, so I hope I'll find out more in book 2.

Edited by Amira

21 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

alas, bad news for you. brace yourself for shallan's flashbacks.

I consistently skip those on rereads. as usual, though, the payoff is worth it

Heh, I was about to say this. Prepare yourself mentally, Amira. It gets worse. Much worse.

:)

Edited by rosharian_cat

On 9/2/2022 at 8:48 PM, Treamayne said:

We all feel that way, and you will learn more in every book.

Wait, you feel like you don't know much about the magic system after 4 books?!

On 9/3/2022 at 0:51 AM, king of nowhere said:

alas, bad news for you. brace yourself for shallan's flashbacks.

On 9/3/2022 at 1:11 AM, rosharian_cat said:

Heh, I was about to say this. Prepare yourself mentally, Amira. It gets worse. Much worse.

Oh no.

Words of Radiance, prologue (Jasnah): I like how when Jasnah sees something impossible, instead of starting to question her sanity, she's determined to find an explanation. Weird that Jasnah is taken to Shadesmar by these oily black spren and Shallan is taken there by the symbolheads. I would have guessed that they're actually the same creatures and each person sees them differently, except we've had hints that Elhokar also sees the symbolheads, so that guess is out the window... The Parshendi said Gavilar was about to attempt something very stupid. Now I want to know what it is. Do we find out in this book? Meanwhile, Jasnah overhears two men speaking, plotting something. The name Ash sounds familiar, but I can't remember where I heard it.

First chapter seems to be about Shallan, which is too bad because I wanted it to be about Kaladin XD

To celebrate my starting book 2, here's the unrelated bonus, the progress of my cross stitch project:

Spoiler

2.thumb.jpg.adb747b9973c776bb82dbd2fb720562e.jpg

1 hour ago, Amira said:

To celebrate my starting book 2, here's the unrelated bonus, the progress of my cross stitch project:

Reveal hidden contents

2.thumb.jpg.adb747b9973c776bb82dbd2fb720562e.jpg

Welcome to book two - and the needlepoint looks great. Am I correct that, so far, it's pine trees near a lake?

Words of Radiance, prologue (Jasnah): I like how when Jasnah sees something impossible, instead of starting to question her sanity, she's determined to find an explanation. Weird that Jasnah is taken to Shadesmar by these oily black spren and Shallan is taken there by the symbolheads. I would have guessed that they're actually the same creatures and each person sees them differently, except we've had hints that Elhokar also sees the symbolheads, so that guess is out the window... The Parshendi said Gavilar was about to attempt something very stupid. Now I want to know what it is. Do we find out in this book? Meanwhile, Jasnah overhears two men speaking, plotting something. The name Ash sounds familiar, but I can't remember where I heard it.

First chapter seems to be about Shallan, which is too bad because I wanted it to be about Kaladin

There will be plenty of Kaladin. As far as the prologue is concerned, you are noticing important things. As for Ash - if you want a reminder from Way of Kings:

Spoiler

Check Interlude 7 - Ash is short for a longer name. . .

Wait, you feel like you don't know much about the magic system after 4 books?!

Well, part of that would be terms and definitions. For example, if by "magic system" you mean Kaladin's abilities - then yes, you find out a whole bunch more in this book.

Are you reading the hardcover? Have you seen the "endpapers?"

TWoK Chart:

Spoiler

TWoK_Front_Endsheet.jpg

Kaladin represents the blue Glyph in the top-right  - so if you mean about all of the magic represented on this chart. . .

Then yes, we learn a bit more each book. . .

On 9/4/2022 at 9:05 PM, Treamayne said:

Welcome to book two - and the needlepoint looks great. Am I correct that, so far, it's pine trees near a lake?

Thank you! And yes!

There will be plenty of Kaladin.

Yay!

Hide contents

TWoK_Front_Endsheet.jpg

Kaladin represents the blue Glyph in the top-right

Kaladin and Szeth are Windrunners, right? (If there's a spoiler in the answer, don't tell me.) Which symbol is Shallan and Jasnah's? I'm assuming that's what Shallan saw in chapter 1?

SA2, ch1, Shallan: Why did that symbol appear on her drawing and again on the water? Why did it move on her drawing?? I'm very happy Jasnah is explaining about Shadesmar, although I wish her explanations were more practical and less scholarly, lol. I also wish she would give more answers to stuff I want to know, like why the symbol appeared to Shallan, and does Jasnah know anything about the symbolheads and who were those black creatures from the prologue who took Jasnah there? I'm glad Shallan ended up insisting to get in the water in the end, and got a chance to take a Memory of the santhid.

On 7/2/2022 at 7:29 PM, Amira said:

I ship Adolin and Shallan. She could use marrying into a high house, and he has no luck with girls, so might as well try this one, haha.

I was right!!

Chapter 2 is called Bridge Four and I'm VERY excited for it!

25 minutes ago, Amira said:

Kaladin and Szeth are Windrunners, right? (If there's a spoiler in the answer, don't tell me.) Which symbol is Shallan and Jasnah's? I'm assuming that's what Shallan saw in chapter 1?

Kaladin and Szeth have some similarities; but are not quite the same in what is happening with them. You will get more about that over the course of this book.

The symbols for Jasnah and Shallan are not same. If you count the Windrunner Glyph as 1, and follow the larger circles clockwise; their symbols would be 6 and 7 (lower left corner). I'll let you discover similarities, differences, and which-is-which as the story progresses.

SA2, ch1, Shallan: Why did that symbol appear on her drawing and again on the water? Why did it move on her drawing?? I'm very happy Jasnah is explaining about Shadesmar, although I wish her explanations were more practical and less scholarly, lol. I also wish she would give more answers to stuff I want to know, like why the symbol appeared to Shallan, and does Jasnah know anything about the symbolheads and who were those black creatures from the prologue who took Jasnah there? I'm glad Shallan ended up insisting to get in the water in the end, and got a chance to take a Memory of the santhid

Words of Radiance has many of these answers. In the non-spoiler food-for-thought category I will say (if you want to peak):

Spoiler

You may notice some similarities between "That symbol" (Pattern) and Syl from Way of Kings Part 1; and some similarity between Shallan's experience with "symbol heads" in Way of Kings with Jasnah's experience in the prologue.

I was right!!

You were

Chapter 2 is called Bridge Four and I'm VERY excited for it!

As well you should be

SA2 ch2, Kaladin:

This chapter is called Bridge Four. The 6th chapter in WoK was also called Bridge Four. Will there be a chapter named Bridge Four in all the Stormlight books? I liked how Kaladin's Stormlight kept erasing his tattoo. If the magic heals him, then it makes sense that ink under the skin would count as an injury. I agree that it was important to explain why Kaladin wants to keep Dalinar alive and that he isn't playing along just because, but I didn't feel like it was very realistic that the other bridgemen started doubting Dalinar. They were the ones who believed he was a good guy all along, and he only proved them right tenfold by freeing them. I feel like their doubts were used as a plot device to make Kaladin explain his reasoning, but weren't very realistic. The part where Kaladin didn't want to reveal his powers to Dalinar because the lighteyes always find ways to take everything from him, on the other hand, felt very believable. And what's this about Kaladin's eyes temporarily turning light while he uses Stormlight?

Edited by Amira

11 minutes ago, Amira said:

I agree that it was important to explain why Kaladin wants to keep Dalinar alive and that he isn't playing along just because, but I didn't feel like it was very realistic that the other bridgemen started doubting Dalinar. They were the ones who believed he was a good guy all along, and he only proved them right tenfold by freeing them. I feel like their doubts were used as a plot device to make Kaladin explain his reasoning, but weren't very realistic.

Think about it this way: they don’t know Dalinar, having only heard stories, and now they’re working for somebody who they don’t know. While it is used as a plot device, it also makes some sense.

On 9/4/2022 at 4:27 PM, Amira said:

Words of Radiance, prologue (Jasnah): I like how when Jasnah sees something impossible, instead of starting to question her sanity, she's determined to find an explanation. Weird that Jasnah is taken to Shadesmar by these oily black spren and Shallan is taken there by the symbolheads. I would have guessed that they're actually the same creatures and each person sees them differently, except we've had hints that Elhokar also sees the symbolheads, so that guess is out the window... The Parshendi said Gavilar was about to attempt something very stupid. Now I want to know what it is. Do we find out in this book?

I suppose this is technically a spoiler, but IIRC most people treat it as more of an interesting factoid than a spoiler since it’s more of a literary structure thing than a plot thing. Nevertheless, it’s in spoiler tags just in case.

Spoiler

The prologue to each stormlight book is that night from different characters’ point of view.

To answer your question at the end there, if you really want to know…

Spoiler

No.

What can I say? I’m a man of few words. At least WRT spoilers. :D