Middle Earth Books  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which Lord of the Rings book to you like the most?

• The Fellowship of the Ring
    • The Two Towers
    • The Return of the King
    • It's all one book! You can't just split LOTR into three!
  2. 2. Which of the following is your favorite?

• The Silmarillion
    • Unfinished Tales
    • Children of Hurin (the book)
    • The Twelve Volume History of Middle Earth
    • Beren & Luthien (the book)
    • The Fall of Gondolin (the book)
    • I haven't read any of these
  3. 3. If you could be one race in Middle Earth what would it be?

• Orcs. Because I'm evil and disgusting.
    • Elf
    • Dwarf
    • Hobbit
    • Human
    • Ent
    • Horse

This topic thread is to be used to discuss The Lord of the Rings and other of Tolkien's works.

Conversation starters:

- Who is your favorite character (in all of Tolkien's Middle Earth stories) and why?

- What is the biggest beef you have with the Lord of the Rings?

- If you could ask Tolkien one question, what would it be?

- If you could be a member of any race and community in Middle Earth, what would it be and why?*

Be nice and have fun discussing these amazing books!

*This DOES NOT include angelic beings such as the Maiar (Istari), Ainur, or Illuvatar.

Edited by HippoPhileus

2 hours ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

mkay, now to go into deeeeeeep stuff here.

LOTR IS AWESOME! I love it I love it! I love it! Brandon Sanderson may be my favorite author but LOTR is my favorite book.

Deep stuff is often the most fun to discuss.

I agree! Brandon Sanderson is my favorite author by Lord of the Rings is my favorite book.

noice! Tom Bombadil being Illuvatar and Illuvatar being Tolkien :P

Tolkien hated allegory, but since I think his religion (Catholicism) influenced his writing I would say Eru (the One) represents God.

Tom Bombadil as Illuvatar? Hmm, I've never considered that. I suppose it is possible, but Illuvatar didn't create Arda/help the Ainur create Arda, I believe he is still active in the world. Tom Bombadil isn't, he just sits in his house with Goldberry and doesn't interact with the outside world.

Edited by HippoPhileus

Just now, HippoPhileus said:

Tolkien hated allegory, but since I think his religion (Catholicism) influenced his writing I would say Eru (the One) represents God.

Tom Bombadil as Illuvatar? Hmm, I've never considered that. I suppose it is possible, but Illuvatar didn't create Arda/help the Ainur create Arda, I believe he is still active in the world. Tom Bombadil isn't, he just sits in his house with Goldberry and doesn't interact with the outside world.

hmmmm. I think at least Tom Bombadil as Tolkien. Eru does represent god I think, but not in the way we think. wait, *intense book flashback* does anyone call Eru the one in story?

hmmmm. I think at least Tom Bombadil as Tolkien. Eru does represent god I think, but not in the way we think. wait, *intense book flashback* does anyone call Eru the one in story?

Maybe Tom as Tolkien.

As a Christian, I think Illuvatar is supposed to be God in the same way as the Catholic/Christian God.

I think so, at the beginning of the Silmarillion. Maybe that's just my brain thinking it sounds cool :P

Edited by HippoPhileus
avoiding double posting and wanted to add to it.

*widens eyes* what if Adonalsium is really Eru, and after the group that became the shards (+ Hoid) killed Adonalsium, Ado went to the Tolkienverse and went by another name?

*wretches* to much crossover for my liking. But an interesting theory that both Tolkien and Sanderson would probably despise. 

Is it THE Lord of the Rings or the Lord of the Rings? I'm never sure.

Edited by HippoPhileus

either Theoden, Pippin, Bilbo or Sam.

Oh those are all good characters. I really like Pippin's character, but I think Turin is my favorite. Children of Hurin (the book) is my favorite of Tolkien's stories beyond LOTR. I like it even more than the Hobbit.

1 minute ago, HippoPhileus said:

Oh those are all good characters. I really like Pippin's character, but I think Turin is my favorite. Children of Hurin (the book) is my favorite of Tolkien's stories beyond LOTR. I like it even more than the Hobbit.

OH right! I was thinking limited to LOTR. of the characters not a part of the main trilogy Turn, Finrod and Fingolfin are my faves.

OH right! I was thinking limited to LOTR. of the characters not a part of the main trilogy Turn, Finrod and Fingolfin are my faves.

Fingolfin is so cool. 

OH WAIT. Glorfindel is my favorite middle earth character of all time. He just, ya know, killed a balrog and died and then Manwe sent him back to Arda.

BUT THEY CUT HIM OUT OF THE FRICKN' MOVIE

Just now, HippoPhileus said:

Fingolfin is so cool. 

OH WAIT. Glorfindel is my favorite middle earth character of all time. He just, ya know, killed a balrog and died and then Manwe sent him back to Arda.

BUT THEY CUT HIM OUT OF THE FRICKN' MOVIE

I KNOW, THAT SUCKS. 

Glorfindel is awesome, but I had completely forgotten that until you mentioned it. I really need to reread the Silmarillion.

nice! um, *tucks arguing point into bag* yeah.

haha

My parents read LOTR, Harry Potter and all those books to me (with slight edits here or there for HP) before they let me read them. To keep my childhood more innocent. Since then I've read LOTR on my own 15+ times. Which, for being 17, ain't bad *pats himself on the back*:P