Secret Project 3 Theory

Josi

In Secret Project 3, we learn that the Painter can trap nightmares. In his recent stream, Brandon has said that it is theoretically possible to trap a spren, etc. into a painting. My theory is: Could the Painter (or someone with the same skill) have painted the mural in Aimia where the Change Dawnshard was held?

It's an interesting idea, actually, but I think that a similar process was used instead.

33 minutes ago, iceblade44 said:

Hm, that could be a way how its done. Still I take the Painting more as an indication of binding Cognitive entities which I don't consider the Dawnshard to bd

It kinda sounds like Dawnshards do kind of act like Cognitive entities, especially if it is a Command (Commands come from one's Spiritual Intent, so it seems like a Cognitive thing). They seem to have limited intelligence like a spren first coming through the Physical Realm (as it reacted to Rysn's decision-making). I hadn't thought of that until now, but there do seem to be clear similarities between all these Cognitive entities and their ability to bond. Not to say a Dawnshard is purely Cognitive, but I think that, viewing it as a Command where a Shard is an Intent makes it seem more of a Cognitive thing.

9 hours ago, Nadezhda al'Lanahrin said:

In Secret Project 3, we learn that the Painter can trap nightmares. In his recent stream, Brandon has said that it is theoretically possible to trap a spren, etc. into a painting. My theory is: Could the Painter (or someone with the same skill) have painted the mural in Aimia where the Change Dawnshard was held?

So I think the two concepts could potentially be related, but I feel like there was more to the mural's composition (perhaps the Dawnshard was attracted to it, luring it into the mural-- or put there forcefully?). Because remember, anyone can also trap spren in a gemstone. I also wonder if gold is incorporated in this in some way, or some sort of metal. Could metal Feruchemically store a Cognitive entity? 

In fact, I wonder if spren were, in some way, inspired by Dawnshards. It's a chicken and the egg argument, though! One of the cute ideas I've had reading this was that the idea of there being 4 Dawnshards refers to the fact that there are four types of Dawnshard and multiple members of them, and they originally acted as spren in the cosmere, making things happen and all of that. But utter speculation, I am completely riffing on the material and have no sources.

In short I can see the similarities-- and I think your take is very interesting! 

On 3/24/2022 at 6:41 AM, Proletariat said:

I'm not sure if it bound the Dawnshard since that might be on a bit too big of a scale, but I'm wondering if this is why Midnight Mother fears Lightweavers? Their artistic resonance could be as much of a threat as their illusions in binding her and the essence.

Huh. That's an interesting thought. I had kind of thought that it had to do with the 'creativity' connection, in the same way that Dalinar was able to bind Nergaoul since he understood rage. But art as a broader magical thing... we see it on Nalthis too... *hmmm*.

On 24.3.2022 at 0:41 PM, Proletariat said:

I'm not sure if it bound the Dawnshard since that might be on a bit too big of a scale, but I'm wondering if this is why Midnight Mother fears Lightweavers? Their artistic resonance could be as much of a threat as their illusions in binding her and the essence.

Art only attracted the spirits. It took a clear command to make them change. That is not different from Awakening or Soulcasting. While Painter simply depicted the form to be reached. You could argue that it just was a visual Command, but other than the medium not different from Awakening.