Passion

The foot

7 posts in this topic

In WoR right in the beginning yalb comments to shallan about how at the next port (which is shown in an offhand comment by the captain to be the Shallow Crypts) there’s an unfinished statue of a foot that was never finished. On the first page of the next chapter kaladin tells us that light eyes who die are often soul cast into statues. I guess we are being told that the truth is not like Yalb thought that the statue was never finished but that someone lost a foot and had it soulcast to a statue.

all that being said does anybody know anything about this foot or is it just a random tidbit meant to distract me?

The presence of any outdoor statues in Eastern Roshar is pretty weird, isn't it? 

9 hours ago, Passion said:

In WoR right in the beginning yalb comments to shallan about how at the next port (which is shown in an offhand comment by the captain to be the Shallow Crypts) there’s an unfinished statue of a foot that was never finished. On the first page of the next chapter kaladin tells us that light eyes who die are often soul cast into statues. I guess we are being told that the truth is not like Yalb thought that the statue was never finished but that someone lost a foot and had it soulcast to a statue.

all that being said does anybody know anything about this foot or is it just a random tidbit meant to distract me?

I am going out on a whim here but I always took it as a nod to the Wheel of Time series. There are a number of unfinished statues spotted around Randland

I’m starting to think Brandon had an SA foot fetish. 

boots. foot statue. Shoe makers. 

On 3/20/2022 at 1:31 AM, Passion said:

So here's the passage and description in question:

Yalb, who hung lazily from the rigging nearby, called to her, telling her that in the next port, there was a statue she had to go visit. “It’s this giant foot, young miss. Just a foot! Never finished the blustering statue . . .”

I don't think that's a setup for Kaladin next talking about dead lighteyes getting Soulcast into stone as an honor, because we'd already seen that mentioned in WoK while Bridge Four were doing chasm scavenging duty: "Sometimes the bodies of fallen lighteyes would be recovered from the chasms by special teams so the corpse could be Soulcast into a statue. Darkeyes, unless they were very wealthy, were burned. And most soldiers who fell into the chasms were ignored..."

I think the giant stone foot is meant to be "worldbuilding flavor", a throwaway description; but it is a bit odd. If it's made of stone, how does an "unfinished statue" comprise only the foot?

Was it meant to be carved and then assembled from pieces from the bottom up? I suppose truly enormous ones are? 

What if it's actually the foot of a Thunderclast that broke off thousands of years ago and they just forgot how it got there?

what if there was a soul cast version of Lopen's long lost arm