Elf

Help me with white sand problem

12 posts in this topic

I have not read white sand becuase the cost of each book over here is equivalent to about 20 dollars which is not feasible for me. So is there anything important in white sand which could have an impact on later Cosmere books? I dont mind spoilers for white sand since I'm probably not going to be able to read it anytime soon.

Easiest (and maybe the one thats most fun) solution: Sing up for the newsletter if you don't already have and download the prose version of White Sands. 

There's a newsletter? How do I sign up for it?

13 minutes ago, Elf said:

There's a newsletter? How do I sign up for it?

Go to brandonsanderson.com and scroll all the way to the bottom. There's an area that says Newsletter Signup.

White Sand is barely cosmere relevant at all, other than being the birthplace of Khriss and some other Worldhoppers.

On 23.3.2022 at 0:29 AM, Primeval Chaos said:

White Sand is barely cosmere relevant at all, other than being the birthplace of Khriss and some other Worldhoppers.

Like the White Sand Raboniel and Navani used?
Like the birthplace of a member of the 17th Shard just on Roshar?

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Like the White Sand Raboniel and Navani used?
Like the birthplace of a member of the 17th Shard just on Roshar?

Ok yes, the sand does have some relevance but there isn't really any cosmere wide plot going on in the background of it. They will not miss out on much if they don't read it

It may not seem relevant now, but I think all Cosmere books/stories will be relevant to a certain degree. Do you need to read all of them to understand what's going on? No. But, even the smaller stories seem to get more and more relevant with each book, especially with respect to the secret projects from the Kickstarter. 

You can get it in ebook form if your library has it, I don't know where you are in the world so you may not be able to access it if your library has only a small selection on overdrive or hoopla.

Just keep in mind that the prose version through the Newsletter is the draft, so there are changes in the Canon release.

On 3/19/2022 at 2:03 AM, Elf said:

I have not read White Sand because the cost of each book over here is equivalent to about 20 dollars which is not feasible for me. So is there anything important in White Sand which could have an impact on later Cosmere books? I don't mind spoilers for white sand since I'm probably not going to be able to read it anytime soon.

Also, isn't there an omnibus reprint that's going to be released since the scalpers on Amazon/eBay have made sure its inaccessible to new purchases even in the US (seriously, asking $130 used and $180 new for a copy of Vol 1).

If you want the spoilers, white sand introduces Kris, (shortened name for a Darkside Woman) that rights the Ars Arcanums and the system notes in CC:AU. Aditionally, it introduces a substance that can be used to detect and measure investiture. It is ruled by Autonomy, one of the planned Shard-villans, but isn’t active in the story.