Internal chronology of SP3

Again we get a temporal hint. And another genocide. The shroud came 1700 years ago, give or take. Does anybody think that this was not a consequence of the Shardic suicide?

If no, then we have a slight chronological problem. If Virtuosity were to be the Survival Shard changing her perspective arounf the time of SA, we would have to assume that YAP is very far in the future. How far in the future can SOTD be? Intuitively I'd say centuries, not almost 2000 years. Are we really looking at the youngest Cosmere story of all times? If so, where are the space ships?
If not, why did Virtuosity do it?

So we know this story takes place post SA part 1, because Design and Hoid are together. From context clues I'm pretty certain this story is being TOLD at an extremely late date in the timeline, since Hoid just casually name drops elements from basically every world we've seen (except SotD?). 

If YatNP takes place roughly immediately after SA 5, then that would put the shattering of Virtuosity a few hundred years after the Recreance, to give a relative idea of the timelines. However, its possible the story doesn't take place till after SA part 2, in which case we don't really have a good idea about its timing.

My guess, however, is that Virtuosity is NOT the survival shard mentioned in WoBs. Instead, I think it lines up closer with the "wisdom" shard mentioned here:

Paleo

In May, in Germany, you told me that... or I asked whether Wisdom was a Shard, and you said it was or something like it, and that wisdom was close to an intent of a Shard, and you also told me that it has realized that survival isn't necessarily the most important thing for it. I wanted to ask whether it has realized that over time or was it from the get go?

Brandon Sanderson

Over time.

Paleo

Okay, so then naturally, my next question: Is it the survival Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

Paleo

And then somebody actually came up with another good probable name. Is Prudence close?

Brandon Sanderson

Prudence sounds an awful lot like a Shard name. That's some excellent theorizing there.

Prague Signing (Oct. 26, 2019)

If that's the case, then there's no requirement that Virtuosity shatter herself around the time of the SA part 1. It could be at any point in the timeline before that and Hoid could still show up now post SA part 2.

Also, it is my duty to remark that the timing on Painter's planet could not match up with timing conventions in the rest of the Cosmere, so there's always that wrench to deal with.

4 hours ago, Johnny Silverlight said:

Another thing to bear in mind is that Painter's people only believe that the Shroud appeared 1,700 years ago. He pretty much admits that what his people have are fragments of that time which are more myth and/or legend than history. The Shroud could easily have arrived at a later time.

A third thing to consider is that a dead Shard in the CR or PR is gonna dilate time so no matter how old the Shroud is from that system's point of view, it's probably much older from the point of view of someone from Roshar or Scadrial.

7 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

If no, then we have a slight chronological problem. If Virtuosity were to be the Survival Shard changing her perspective arounf the time of SA, we would have to assume that YAP is very far in the future. How far in the future can SOTD be? Intuitively I'd say centuries, not almost 2000 years. Are we really looking at the youngest Cosmere story of all times? If so, where are the space ships?
If not, why did Virtuosity do it?

They are building or have built a spaceship that will travel to Yumi's world.

18 minutes ago, mathiau said:

More likely a rocket than a spaceship

He’d started it once he’d heard the news of an upcoming voyage, intended to travel the darkness of the sky. A trip to the star itself, taken by scientists, using a special vessel and a hion line launched to a place incredibly distant.

Technically a space elevator. You build a hion line up. As the planet rotates you will be moving faster the higher you go up being further from the hub you are rotating around. At a height that is a few hundred kilometers up, you will end up in orbit, if you let go. If you go over geosynchronous orbit, you will be hurled out into space.

I just don't see how they wish to return.

50 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Technically a space elevator. You build a hion line up. As the planet rotates you will be moving faster the higher you go up being further from the hub you are rotating around. At a height that is a few hundred kilometers up, you will end up in orbit, if you let go. If you go over geosynchronous orbit, you will be hurled out into space.

I just don't see how they wish to return.

I really want to see how they manipulate the hion lines. I think this is going to be very interesting.