Can we update the contact info boxes in profiles

Yes, we can do that. Which would people like to be listed?

I do think if we remove a field it's gone for everyone, so we may not want to remove all of these, but yeah these are pretty old.

• 11 months later...

Bumping this because I still think it's a great idea. The current ones are pretty old, I've literally only heard of Skype. Discord, WhatsApp, Twitter, AO3, Goodreads, and Reddit are some sites I think people are more likely to be on. Maybe a field for a user's Coppermind profile as well?

One downside is that it would mess up all the silly acronyms people put in there.

@Chaos

I dont know any of those except Skype and yahoo 

But i dont think they should be removed 

They kind of keep the old charm of the site 

Just my opinion tho

On 3/19/2023 at 7:54 AM, Cruciatus_heart said:

I dont know any of those except Skype and yahoo 

But i dont think they should be removed 

They kind of keep the old charm of the site 

Just my opinion tho

Same. Maybe boxes for things like the Coppermind, Discord, and Reddit could be added instead of replacing the old ones?

• 5 weeks later...

Okay, so I know some of this has been covered but I think the following would be quite nice, and I don't suggest that we remove what we currently have.

1. Discord, (Lots of Sharders are on Discord, so this would make sense)
  2. Reddit
  3. Phone Number, (I don't think I would include this but maybe a few people would)
  4. Other, (Basically an open field for some form of contact information)

10 hours ago, The Last Fæ said:

Okay, so I know some of this has been covered but I think the following would be quite nice, and I don't suggest that we remove what we currently have.

1. Discord, (Lots of Sharders are on Discord, so this would make sense)
  2. Reddit
  3. Phone Number, (I don't think I would include this but maybe a few people would)
  4. Other, (Basically an open field for some form of contact information)

Maybe Instagram too?

3 minutes ago, Tani said:

*doesn't do any social media other than the Shard and Discord, and barely Discord*

Waiiiit if we're doing instagram are we also doing tiktok and youtube and stuff?

Maybe? But those are a tad more content creation sites than socials, but they could work.

• 3 months later...
On 3/18/2022 at 1:42 PM, clowncarcrash said:

Gen Z doesn't know what ICQ is. 

Spoiler

contacts.png

• Jabber (Cisco) - A variant of Skype (before it sold its soul to MS) - still in use in some business settings that aren't on the Office Train
  • Yahoo - technically YIM (Yahoo Instant Messanger) - not sure if this is supported any more | application-based 1:1 or 1:+ chat system
  • MSN - Microsoft Network (MS IM) - another application-based 1:1 or 1:+ chat system
  • AIM - AOL Instant Messenger - another-other application-based 1:1 or 1:+ chat system
  • ICQ (I Seek You) - A non-affiliated 1:1 or 1:+ chat system that leveraged the start of third party authentication (circa 1998) to allow you to add your YIM, AIM, MSN, etc. credentials and consolidate all of your chat systems in one client.

@PurpurPhönix, @Argenti@Cruciatus_heart

And for those true FOGs - the original and still King. IRC (Internet Relay Chat). Pretty sure there are still some servers out there with which to connect.

Spoiler

\me slaps everybody with a fish

What I would like to see:

Coppermind: [text box]

Application Based: [multi-line textbox] - user labelled

Web Based: [multi-line textbox] - user labelled

Website URL (Blog, Channel, etc.): [multi-line textbox] - user labelled

Why define specifics when it results in so many empty fields?

11 hours ago, Chaos said:

Is there any rationalization for not wanting a TikTok link there? Explain. 

Cause it's a [specific nation]'s PII collection interface that steals almost as much personal data as Amazon and Google?

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG / SpoilerTag

2 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Cause it's a [specific nation]'s PII collection interface that steals almost as much personal data as Amazon and Google?

No one is forcing you to use it. But a lot of other people do. I feel like if we are updating these to be modern, TikTok MUST be included. If not you're basically saying to a new generation they don't matter.

2 hours ago, Treamayne said:

What I would like to see:

Coppermind: [text box]

Application Based: [multi-line textbox] - user labelled

Web Based: [multi-line textbox] - user labelled

Website URL (Blog, Channel, etc.): [multi-line textbox] - user labelled

Why define specifics when it results in so many empty fields?

I am pretty sure we cannot do this suggestion in the software, but I'd need to check. You are right, the amount of fields is a problem, which is why only big things should be there.