SP3 - Delicious, delicious irony

Ixthos

See Hoid.

Hoid likes noodles (https://wob.coppermind.net/adv_search/?query=noodles).

Hoid has been waiting a long time for noodles to be invented on other worlds.

Hoid now partly owns a noodle shop.

Hoid's spren Design, the other owner, runs said noodle shop. Hoid even helped pick out her uniform for running said noodle shop. And her face. And her curv-

Hoid spends a lot of time in this noodle shop.

All day in fact.

Hoid is an important part of the shop.

But no noodles for Hoid. Because he's a coat rack.

Edited by Ixthos
I somehow managed to misspell noodle just as often as I spelt it correctly

I am convinced Brandon was smirking when he wrote the noodle scene. 

I’ve wondered how Hoid time skipped, the coat hanger was… unexpected. But in character. 

This method obviously predates Soul casting but I have no idea how he manages it. 

On 3/18/2022 at 3:27 PM, melaan enjoyer said:

my brain went into overdrive reading SP3.

first of all i love design < 3

second of all: hoid??? frozen??? in time????? implications!!!!

genuinely cant wait to read the whole book

Indeed! Lots of implications, including the question of whether he chose to be frozen, knew it was coming, or was taken by surprise.

On 3/18/2022 at 4:13 PM, Michael Portz said:

I ld say that is just his way to travel forward in time.

Well, that and turning himself into a convenient piece of furniture, but yes :P

On 3/18/2022 at 4:31 PM, PurpurPhönix said:

I could see that, although he does seem to spend a lot of time out doing stuff for someone who still seems to be as young as he is, if his only way of traveling through time is to freeze himself in it.

I suppose it depends on how often and how long he is frozen. This could be something that only happens for half his life - for each lifetime he lives he spends another frozen in place?

On 3/18/2022 at 4:34 PM, Czernobog said:

Possibly, but "when my ailment first struck" speaks to a certain lack of volition in the matter.

Agreed - ailment implies it at the very least is a bother to him. Even more so when it freezes him in a place which subsequently became noodle central. It makes me wonder how much control over when or foreknowledge he had that he was about to be frozen.

On 3/18/2022 at 4:35 PM, AerionBFII said:

I am convinced Brandon was smirking when he wrote the noodle scene. 

I’ve wondered how Hoid time skipped, the coat hanger was… unexpected. But in character. 

This method obviously predates Soul casting but I have no idea how he manages it. 

Smirking, and eating ramen!

By implication this may in some way be related to speed bubbles, though his mind is then somehow decoupled, at least at first, from the effect due to his internal screaming when painted by Design. Though there is irony in that too:

"Okay, based on my input you got to design how I looked," Design said, reaching for the paint. "Now its my turn!"

I find it interesting that so many people think Hoid’s coatrack status effect is about his immortality. Reading that part, I assumed that plot had happened offstage somewhere and this was an unfortunate predicament that Hoid will have to get out of somehow.