Do we finaly have an answer?

Frustration

I think there is separate category of a Shard using their Power. Something like  "Committing Investiture": Endowment creating Returned & giving Breath, Autonomy making Avatars, Odium making the Fused & Unmade.

The Shards give up some control over this investiture by committing it to beings with separate minds in the physical and or cognitive realm. For instance, Sja-Anat betrayed Odium or at least the Vessel that "unmade" her. But on some level (Spiritual I think) it's all part of the same whole. 

We know almost nothing about Splintering, especially not how it is done, but it seems to sever the Shard in all three realms, or sever it in the physical and cognitive the cut those pieces off from the parts in the spiritual. That way if someone gains control or "ascends" to a piece of it they don't get the benefit of ascending to all of it.

Unless a magic user that specializes in connecting things together at the spiritual level is bonded to a Spren that merged with Cognitive Shadow of the prior Vessel which gives the magic user Connection to all the splintered pieces of the Shard. Then that magic user can briefly ascend to the Shard by clapping their hands.

On 4/10/2022 at 6:50 PM, Procrastination Shard said:

We don't know that concretely though, the text itself simply says Virtousity splintered herself and that's it. For all we know they are still very much active having just done something else that counted as splintering.

The only real indication that they might be dead is that Painters planet has historical references to a God dying but elsewhere we have seen religions be wrong about the Shards, for example Vorinism essentially was wrong about everything to do with Honor and his place in Cosmology.

Well the shroud does fit our understanding of the possible sideffects of splintering a shard.

Spoiler

Questioner

So I wanted to know if the asteroid belts around some planets are because of Splintering of a Shard there?

Brandon Sanderson

Okay, one more time. If the what?

Questioner

Asteroids belts around some planets.

Brandon Sanderson

Are caused by the Splintering of Shards? So the Splintering of Shards has had cosmological effects; you should not assume that most asteroid belts are caused by the Splintering of a Shard.

Questioner

Yeah, you know most of the planets, I think all of the planets where the Shards were Splintered have asteroid belts. So is it like the physical manifestation of the Splintering?

Brandon Sanderson

You should not assume that all planets that have that are the result of a Splintering of a Shard but the Splintering of a Shard can have such an effect.

Prague Signing (Oct. 26, 2019)

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2022 at 3:27 PM, Frustration said:

He said it was Endowment, though that was in 2013, and your WoB is from 2015 so it could have changed

Hide contents

theofficetroll (paraphrased)

If Hoid were tempted by a Shard, which one would it be?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Endowment.

SpoCon 2013 (July 10, 2013)

This seems to be saying the opposite of what you say it says. It isn't "Which Shard was Hoid offered," It's which Shard would Hoid be tempted by. I would say that is evidence that Endowment wasn't offered to Hoid, rather something like Odium or Preservation, two intents I don't think Hoid would be interested in. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/12/2022 at 7:32 AM, Child of Hodor said:

I think there is separate category of a Shard using their Power. Something like  "Committing Investiture": Endowment creating Returned & giving Breath, Autonomy making Avatars, Odium making the Fused & Unmade.

The Shards give up some control over this investiture by committing it to beings with separate minds in the physical and or cognitive realm. For instance, Sja-Anat betrayed Odium or at least the Vessel that "unmade" her. But on some level (Spiritual I think) it's all part of the same whole. 

We know almost nothing about Splintering, especially not how it is done, but it seems to sever the Shard in all three realms, or sever it in the physical and cognitive the cut those pieces off from the parts in the spiritual. That way if someone gains control or "ascends" to a piece of it they don't get the benefit of ascending to all of it.

Unless a magic user that specializes in connecting things together at the spiritual level is bonded to a Spren that merged with Cognitive Shadow of the prior Vessel which gives the magic user Connection to all the splintered pieces of the Shard. Then that magic user can briefly ascend to the Shard by clapping their hands.

Avatars should not be on the same list as those others.  They are not splitters and are described by Brandon as more a kin to a shard role playing then splintering.  

Edited by bmcclure7

• 3 months later...

Some common synonyms of cautious are chary, circumspect, and wary. While all these words mean "prudently watchful and discreet in the face of danger or risk," cautious implies the exercise of forethought usually prompted by fear of danger.

-From google, just a quick heads up you have “Prudent” in there something to the effect of caution could be this shard

• 1 month later...

I don't think the "Wisdom" shard is Virtuosity. The WOB about the "Wisdom" doesn't imply that it splintered itself to me. "Wisdom" being hiding in order to survive (implying that "Wisdom" and the "Survival" shard are the same) but no considers hiding a poor course of action and will now be taking a bigger role on the cosmere stage of thing is how I've interpreted all the various WOB's about "Wisdom/Prudence/Survival". It's too much of a leap to think no longer prioritizing just survival means committing suicide/Splintering rather than just willing to put itself in danger to achieve some other goal.

5 hours ago, lacrossedeamon said:

I don't think the "Wisdom" shard is Virtuosity. The WOB about the "Wisdom" doesn't imply that it splintered itself to me. "Wisdom" being hiding in order to survive (implying that "Wisdom" and the "Survival" shard are the same) but no considers hiding a poor course of action and will now be taking a bigger role on the cosmere stage of thing is how I've interpreted all the various WOB's about "Wisdom/Prudence/Survival". It's too much of a leap to think no longer prioritizing just survival means committing suicide/Splintering rather than just willing to put itself in danger to achieve some other goal.

"Wisdom" was never the shard that wanted to survive.

4 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

Multiple WoBs imply that it was but that it has since changed its priorities.

You mean this one which says nothing?

Spoiler

Paleo (paraphrased)

Is Wisdom a Shard? If so, how bad does it want to survive?

There is a Shard with a similar intent. The Shard has realized that survival might not be the most desirable/important.

Footnote: Paleo later asked Brandon for clarification on this one because he couldn't quite remember the survival part when he wrote it down. Brandon stressed again what the Shard has realized.
Stuttgart signing (May 17, 2019)

Or this one which RAFO's it?

Spoiler

Paleo

In May, in Germany, you told me that... or I asked whether Wisdom was a Shard, and you said it was or something like it, and that wisdom was close to an intent of a Shard, and you also told me that it has realized that survival isn't necessarily the most important thing for it. I wanted to ask whether it has realized that over time or was it from the get go?

Brandon Sanderson

Over time.

Paleo

Okay, so then naturally, my next question: Is it the survival Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

Paleo

And then somebody actually came up with another good probable name. Is Prudence close?

Brandon Sanderson

Prudence sounds an awful lot like a Shard name. That's some excellent theorizing there.

1 minute ago, Frustration said:

You mean this one which says nothing?

Hide contents

Paleo (paraphrased)

There is a Shard with a similar intent. The Shard has realized that survival might not be the most desirable/important.

Footnote: Paleo later asked Brandon for clarification on this one because he couldn't quite remember the survival part when he wrote it down. Brandon stressed again what the Shard has realized.

Or this one which RAFO's it?

Hide contents

Paleo

In May, in Germany, you told me that... or I asked whether Wisdom was a Shard, and you said it was or something like it, and that wisdom was close to an intent of a Shard, and you also told me that it has realized that survival isn't necessarily the most important thing for it. I wanted to ask whether it has realized that over time or was it from the get go?

Brandon Sanderson

Over time.

Paleo

Okay, so then naturally, my next question: Is it the survival Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

Paleo

And then somebody actually came up with another good probable name. Is Prudence close?

Brandon Sanderson

Prudence sounds an awful lot like a Shard name. That's some excellent theorizing there.

Well he RAFOed that second one too late since he says it over time lessened its priority on survival which implies it was the survival shard regardless of the RAFO. And if you think the first WOB says nothing then you should probably not use it multiple times yourself when trying to argue against Wisdom = Survival.

But also

Spoiler

Seonid

I've heard about a Shard that just wants to survive, hiding off-- it doesn't have a planet it doesn't--

Brandon Sanderson

Right.

Seonid

--out there in space, trying to survive. Does it have the intent of like Fear, or something like that?

Brandon Sanderson

The intent is related but only tangentially. Mostly it just knows what's going on and is smart enough to get out of there.

Bands of Mourning release party (Jan. 25, 2016)

The Survival shard “knows what’s going on and is smart enough to get out of there” implies Wisdom. As well as

Spoiler

Jofwu

Can you elaborate on why you picked the name Virtuosity? As in, what does it mean to you and how does it fit in to the Cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson

So Virtuosity is specifically relating to artistic talent and artistic sense. I actually was just debating between Artistry and Virtuosity, and I settled on Virtuosity after a decently long debate; it's one of the reasons I haven't canonized this one yet. It is the last big hole. (I know there is one I haven't revealed that you guys kind of know what that one's general Intent is so this is the last big one to reveal, as I believe. I think there is only one, and I think you know part of that one. Maybe I am wrong. I'll have to go back and see; it's hard to remember what you guys know and what you don't know sometimes.)

I wanted to get this one into the Cosmere so that we basically have all sixteen, now. The big decision was: what do I call them? And at the end, Virtuosity just rang to me in the same way Odium did, and so I picked that one. This is the Shard of artistic intent, and artistic talent, and artistic appreciation.

Secret Project #3 Reveal and Livestream (March 22, 2022)

He talks about the other one which he hasn’t revealed but that we generally know the intent of implied to be Wisdom being different from Virtuosity.

2 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

Well he RAFOed that second one too late since he says it over time lessened its priority on survival which implies it was the survival shard regardless of the RAFO. And if you think the first WOB says nothing then you should probably not use it multiple times yourself when trying to argue against Wisdom = Survival.

But also

Reveal hidden contents

Seonid

I've heard about a Shard that just wants to survive, hiding off-- it doesn't have a planet it doesn't--

Brandon Sanderson

Right.

Seonid

--out there in space, trying to survive. Does it have the intent of like Fear, or something like that?

Brandon Sanderson

The intent is related but only tangentially. Mostly it just knows what's going on and is smart enough to get out of there.

Bands of Mourning release party (Jan. 25, 2016)

The Survival shard “knows what’s going on and is smart enough to get out of there” implies Wisdom. As well as

Reveal hidden contents

Jofwu

Can you elaborate on why you picked the name Virtuosity? As in, what does it mean to you and how does it fit in to the Cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson

So Virtuosity is specifically relating to artistic talent and artistic sense. I actually was just debating between Artistry and Virtuosity, and I settled on Virtuosity after a decently long debate; it's one of the reasons I haven't canonized this one yet. It is the last big hole. (I know there is one I haven't revealed that you guys kind of know what that one's general Intent is so this is the last big one to reveal, as I believe. I think there is only one, and I think you know part of that one. Maybe I am wrong. I'll have to go back and see; it's hard to remember what you guys know and what you don't know sometimes.)

I wanted to get this one into the Cosmere so that we basically have all sixteen, now. The big decision was: what do I call them? And at the end, Virtuosity just rang to me in the same way Odium did, and so I picked that one. This is the Shard of artistic intent, and artistic talent, and artistic appreciation.

Secret Project #3 Reveal and Livestream (March 22, 2022)

He talks about the other one which he hasn’t revealed but that we generally know the intent of implied to be Wisdom being different from Virtuosity.

Virtuosity did have a planet though, two of them in fact.

Invention on the other hand, avoids contact with other shards, and hides even from Sazed.

And it being an over time realization doesn't prove anything, suicide is a long process.

Edited by Frustration

Virtuosity did have a planet though, two of them in fact.

Invention on the other hand, avoids contact with other shards, and hides even from Sazed.

I’m not saying Virtuosity is the Survival shard so it having multiple planets has no bearing on my points. But you are correct that Invention could be the Survival shard instead but Brandon still implies that Virtuosity and Wisdom are different in the last WOB posted.

Just now, lacrossedeamon said:

I’m not saying Virtuosity is the Survival shard so it having multiple planets has no bearing on my points. But you are correct that Invention could be the Survival shard instead but Brandon still implies that Virtuosity and Wisdom are different in the last WOB posted.

We knew more about the survival shard then wisdom at that point.

Just now, Frustration said:

We knew more about the survival shard then wisdom at that point.

Not if they are the same.

8 minutes ago, Frustration said:

And it being an over time realization doesn't prove anything, suicide is a long process.

The way the question is phrased and Brandon’s answer to it implies that Wisdom/Prudence at one point did prioritize survival.

1 minute ago, lacrossedeamon said:

Not if they are the same.

Which they aren't. One has the sole desire of surviving, the other doesn't want to. What would the point of having a shard that just wants to live only to have them lose that desire and kill themselves off screen?

The way the question is phrased and Brandon’s answer to it implies that Wisdom/Prudence at one point did prioritize survival.

Everyone prioreties survival at one point.

Which they aren't. One has the sole desire of surviving, the other doesn't want to. What would the point of having a shard that just wants to live only to have them lose that desire and kill themselves off screen?

I don’t think it’s accurate to say it still has the sole desire of surviving. Again I don’t think the Survival shard is Virtuosity. The Survival shard hasn’t splintered itself. Wisdom was described as the Survival shard in earlier Eras of the cosmere when that was its priority but that is no longer the case in later Eras. Saying that Wisdom realized survival might not be the most important thing doesn’t mean its doesn’t want to just that its willing to risk itself to achieve other goals.

4 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

Wisdom was described as the Survival shard in earlier Eras of the cosmere when that was its priority but that is no longer the case in later Eras. Saying that Wisdom realized survival might not be the most important thing doesn’t mean its doesn’t want to just that its willing to risk itself to achieve other goals.

No it wasn't? A shard with similar  intent to Wisdom was described like this. Not Wisdom. Here is a WoB that was rreferred to in previous RAFO WoB. He didn't say its Wisdom.

Paleo (paraphrased)

6 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

I don’t think it’s accurate to say it still has the sole desire of surviving. 

Sole desire

Spoiler

Chaos

Give us the name of a Shard's intent we have not seen before.

Brandon Sanderson

There is one who just wants to hide and survive.

General Signed Books 2011 (Nov. 8, 2011)

Just wants to, as in, that's the only thing it desires.

4 minutes ago, alder24 said:

No it wasn't? A shard with similar  intent to Wisdom was described like this. Not Wisdom. Here is a WoB that was rreferred to in previous RAFO WoB. He didn't say its Wisdom.

The implication I got from that is that there is no Shard specifically called Wisdom but the Intent is adjacent to that concept and that shard was the Survival shard but no longer would be considered as such since it’s priorities have shifted.

2 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Sole desire

Reveal hidden contents

Chaos

Give us the name of a Shard's intent we have not seen before.

Brandon Sanderson

There is one who just wants to hide and survive.

General Signed Books 2011 (Nov. 8, 2011)

Just wants to, as in, that's the only thing it desires.

Desires can change over time like how Brandon describes the Wisdom/Prudence shard hence my use of the word “still”.

Edited by lacrossedeamon

The implication I got from that is that there is no Shard specifically called Wisdom but the Intent is adjacent to that concept and that shard was the Survival shard but no longer would be considered as such since it’s priorities have shifted.

Yes, there is some Shard with intent similar to Wisdom, but it's not Wisdom, and thinks now that survival isn't the best option. So it's not Wisdom. 

"There is a Shard with a similar intent." Wisdom is a shard, we know it now. So there is another shard that is not Wisdom, but has similar intent. 

From second WoB we know that this Shard realized that over time. But still we don't know if that's survival shard. These WoBs might refer to Virtuosity (it is similar to Wisdom), and it doesn't mean that she was the survival shard. Those WoBs might not be about survival shard at all.

8 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

Desires can change over time like how Brandon describes the Wisdom/Prudence shard hence my use of the word “still”.

Which is why it would be wierd to even include that if it were immediately thrown out.

The "Wisdom" shard and "Survivial" shard have two completely different goals, they cannot be the same

14 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Yes, there is some Shard with intent similar to Wisdom, but it's not Wisdom, and thinks now that survival isn't the best option. So it's not Wisdom. 

"There is a Shard with a similar intent." Wisdom is a shard, we know it now. So there is another shard that is not Wisdom, but has similar intent. 

I don’t think he’s ever confirmed that Wisdom is actually a Shard name. Especially given that we only have 15 original shard names which does not include Wisdom one unnamed Shard which he said we only part of. I think that final shard is the one that has an Intent that would be similar to Wisdom but isn’t and is also the Survival shard.

18 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Which is why it would be wierd to even include that if it were immediately thrown out.

The "Wisdom" shard and "Survivial" shard have two completely different goals, they cannot be the same

He didn’t immediately throw it out. It had goals of Survival during mistborn Era 1 (2011) but now in a post mistborn Era 2 cosmere (2022) its goals have changed. Just because we dont have a specific story with it doesn’t mean that develop isn’t important for worldbuilding or backstory.

Just now, lacrossedeamon said:

He didn’t immediately throw it out. It had goals of Survival during mistborn Era 1 (2011) but now in a post mistborn Era 2 cosmere (2022) its goals have changed. Just because we dont have a specific story with it doesn’t mean that develop isn’t important for worldbuilding or backstory.

We have a current shard displaying all of the characteristics of the "Survival" shard with none of the abandon for their own survival.