SP #1 vs SP #3; Your Favorite Secret Project

ILuvHats

SP #1 vs SP #3  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which secret project do you prefer?

• Secret Project #1
    • Secret Project #3

Is this poll premature? Hell yes. We don't have SP #4 yet, and of the two cosmere projects we do have, we only have 5-6 chapters each, and those not even the final drafts. But! Based on a sample size of two of Brandon's staff (Karen and Peter), these seem to be vying for most beloved. So what's your favorite secret project? And no takesy backsies after SP #4 sample chapters are released, or the full books come out ;).

At this point, I definitely prefer SP #1, mostly because I loved the modern fairy tail tone, and it legitimately made me laugh on multiple occasions. Meanwhile, SP #3 is a return to normalcy in terms of tone, which is still enjoyable but obviously lacks novelty. SP #1 also possesses the advantage that we actually get to see enjoyable character interactions throughout the excerpt. In SP #3, so far the focus has been on world-building and developing the two lead character's internal conflicts, which by necessity takes more time seeing as us readers are split between 2 protagonists and 2 worlds. So, SP #3 is more of a slow burn, and it's unfair to expect it to progress as quickly as SP #1. That doesn't mean it's still less engaging, considering Yumi and Nikaro (I refuse to call him Painter) are both very isolated socially.

I also want to say that while I preferred the tone of SP #1, I think it can be improved. During the first couple of chapters in particular, the witticisms and jovial attitude felt slightly forced simply because the meta commentary and jokes were so concentrated. It felt like Brandon was looking for every opportunity to stick a one-liner in rather than allowing the reader to breathe a bit. In later chapters, there was a significant drop in the prevalence of the tone, which I think is a definite improvement. But IMO, you can tell Brandon was experimenting in this novel.

11 hours ago, Frustration said:

I have to say three.

The power of the magic, as well as the sheer intrest in the world I'm already sold on it.

SP 1 still has me intrested but that's more for the Aether's than the story.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. I was interested in SP1 mainly because we get to see an Aether world and that magic system (with apparently some quarks) but honestly the story didn't grab me right away. This of course might change. 

On the other hand SP3 grabbed my attention right away and I absolutely love the WB with these ying and yang worlds. I'm fascinated with Painter's world in particular and love seeing the magic based technology. I can hardly wait for this book so much so I almost regret reading the preview chapters. 

I’ll have to say project 3 for me, I’m fascinated of seeing a cosmere novel where two worlds are being discovered at once. The magic system is probably the most vibrant since Awakening

Im a little on the fence about gender bending, I’ve got no issues with it and I can see how Brandon is sidestepping it but I’m sure it will be funny just not my usual cup of tea.