Listener of SP 3

Zibus

Alright, who is Hoid -

Spoiler

the coat rack

- talking to?

1.) Rosharan, or at least someone extremely familiar with Roshar.

Spoiler

You’d probably say Painter looked Veden. Similar features, same black hair, paler skin than your average Alethi. 

...but they grant most outsiders the graceful poise of a drunk chull.

2.) This is being told a good ways into the future of the timeline. Given how many modern things he mentions - like planets, schools, firefighters etc, this is getting pretty late timeline wise. Lightbulbs have JUST been introduced to Scadrial during Era 2 and are not "common on many planets." Definitely could be someone we've never met before - in fact quite likely.

3.) They ate marbles. 

When you pass those marbles, we’re all going to laugh at you.

4.) Scadrian or extremely familiar with Scadrial.

Spoiler

It wasn’t actually rice, as you’d call it on Scadrial.

Also, Design is here and I love the world building in this! So freakin' excited for this one.

Any guesses? Any clues I missed?

1 hour ago, Gilphon said:

I think the force fields are just a more advanced application of Lightweaving.

Could be something special Hoid is doing, given he is a Rosharan and Yolish Lightweaver. Some sort of resonance there that gives his illusions more weight? 

My best guess would be Jasnah. She is someone that both intimately familiar with Hoid and Roshar and has almost certainly been told about the other main worlds in the Cosmere. Plus, this idea of switching lives might be something she muses about in hard moments. We know that she loves scholarship but has also chosen to be very active. I could potentially foresee both Tress and this world being two stories Hoid would tell her in a similar way he tells Kaladin or Shallan stories. 

Edited by DougTheRug
clarity and grammar

7 hours ago, Gilphon said:

I think the force fields are just a more advanced application of Lightweaving. Like we've already seen that Shallan can imbue her illusions with a little 'weight'. 

It is stated in text that the disguise is a form of Rosharan Lightweaving.

What I feel might be more intriguing is the fact that Hoid can "see" through Painter's eyes

With Painter there, I could see what was happening—so I’ll admit to some pride regarding way Painter’s eyes followed Design as she walked over to begin preparing his meal.

He also mentions later that he was informed that he was a good coat rack rather than knowing that he was from being the coat rack

For your information, I have it on good authority that I made an excellent coat rack

My personal theory is that he had a similar thing happen to him as Painter and Yumi, but with Painter less aware somehow. 

17 hours ago, DougTheRug said:

My best guess would be Jasnah. She is someone that both intimately familiar with Hoid and Roshar and who also has (almost certainly) been told about the other main worlds in the Cosmere. Plus, this idea of switching lives might be something she muses about in hard moments. We know that she loves scholarship but has also chosen to be very active. I could potentially foresee both Tress and this world being two stories Hoid would tell her in a similar way he tells Kaladin or Shallan stories. 

That would make Jasnah an ancient worldhopper at that time. That means that she would know what oceans on many worlds look like and she is an atheist. Jasnah is about the only person he could not be telling TOTES to.