Yumi's Planet is Sel?

epsilongd

I immediately thought of Sel when I read this line:

She settled herself on the warm floor of her wagon as her attendants, Chaeyung and Hwanji, entered. The bowed in ritual postures, then fed her with maipon sticks and spoons—a meal of rice and a stew that had been left on the ground to cook.

Maipon sticks are used by Selene in Elantris and Shai's homeland is Maipon.

Painting and stone stacking fit in well with the form-based Investiture of Sel, though they haven't shown the geographical elements of something like AonDor or forgery.

As he painted, he fixed the shape in his mind—a central, powerful image.

Imagine a great swirl made up of stacked stones, evoking the feeling of blowing wind, spiraling, yet made entirely from rock. Order from chaos. Beauty from raw materials. Something from nothing.

Obviously Torio isn't like anything we've heard about from Sel, but the planet is far from completely explored.

What do you think?

EDIT: Just noticed on a second look though the story, Painter uses maipon sticks as well?

Painter, in turn, broke his maipon sticks apart and ate slowly, in a dignified way, befitting one of his imaginary station.

Edited by epsilongd

Yumi's plantet is definitely not Sel considering A.) Brandon commented (in a livestream I believe) that all of the planets/shard worlds we encounter in the secret projects will be new ones, and B.) The giant red sun and other aspects of the environment are incongruous with Sel. I'm pretty sure that Hoid called the chopsticks Maipon Sticks not because the locals called it that, but so that his audience understood what he was talking about. 

Edited by ILuvHats

2 minutes ago, ILuvHats said:

Yumi's plantet is definitely not Sel considering A.) Brandon commented (in a livestream I believe) that all of the planets/shard worlds we encounter in the secret projects will be new ones, and B.) The giant red sun and other aspects of the environment are incongruous with Sel. I'm pretty sure that Hoid called the chopsticks Maipon Sticks not because the locals called it that, but so that his audience understood what he was talking about. 

Ah, I hadn't heard the planet was new. That makes sense, thanks!

4 minutes ago, ILuvHats said:

I'm pretty sure that Hoid called the chopsticks Maipon Sticks not because the locals called it that, but so that his audience understood what he was talking about. 

Just like earlier he said that painter's skin was lighter than an Alethi's. He's talking to the audience who he is assuming has wider Cosmere knowledge (at least somewhat)

Huh... That is a good point. It could be like the rice that was not really rice.

I admit, though, that I wondered if Yumi's planet had been colonized by people from Sel, when I heard Mai Pon. Or, if they were exploited by the IRE like first nations were exploited by fur traders from Europe.

Above is the most intelligent idea... I also thought of Shai and Forgers and then was like... Hmm... "Could Shai forge a planet" and "Shai is quite the virtuoso".

I think the Hoid simplification is the best explanation considering the fact that continuity for 1 and 4 were the hardest. So less cosmere connections for 3 is more likely... Or... Further in the future where there cannot be time clashes could also be more likely.

5 hours ago, Kandrafish said:

I think the Hoid simplification is the best explanation considering the fact that continuity for 1 and 4 were the hardest. So less cosmere connections for 3 is more likely... Or... Further in the future where there cannot be time clashes could also be more likely.

#3 is just very late a story. You really cannot get into conflict with anything happening earlier. We learn

• Hoid keeps the bond to Design
  • Sel, Roshar and Scadrial are not destroyed
  • The nations of Vedenar and Alethkar are not destroyed
  • Hoid will suffer some Invested accident, malady or attack in the future

None of these things are planet-shattering. Also the Invested Arts of the planet don't really matter, because they coud just be undiscovered. For anything before Stormlight Archive you need to ask, where are those people? Just like in case of Taldaine you need Autonomy to stifle technological development or at least exports.

In TOTES you'll need an explanation why the aethers are not dominating the market. Why does Mraize use an aviar but not an aether, which he does know of and can get? That question needs to be answered.