SP3 - Quick theory on a possible link to Taldain

Ixthos

([Edit] To clarify for anyone reading this - this theory was something I posted before finishing reading the extracts Brandon had published, including the reveal the star is actually a planet and the implication that it is the planet Yumi is from, rather than them both being on the same planet. So the star certainly isn't the Taldain system, though I do wonder if Taldain's light could pierce the shroud as well, or only light from the sister world, or anything related to Virtuosity.)

Still haven't finished reading it yet, but this thought came to me when the star was first mentioned, and so this may be answered in the sample, but I'm wondering if the star they see is Taldain.

Taldain orbits a supergiant star, which likely is very visible throughout the Cosmere - consider our own Sirius. It's light is Invested, and it may allow it to pierce through the shroud, as that shroud certainly seems to block out regular sunlight if the two stars are the same - this being two different areas of the same planet.

A second point - this certainly would make the Cognitive perception of the inhabitants divided ... just like the inhabitants of Taldain likely are divided on their own divided sky with Darkside and Dayside. And we know Roshar has an expanse called the Expanse of the Broken Sky. Perhaps these two worlds are very close together, Taldain and this planet, and they are both unified in having two completely different perceptions on the nature of their sky.

Edited by Ixthos

Your questions are somewhat answered later in the excerpt.

The "star" in Painter's sky is actually another planet. Also, Taldain is the sole planet of its system. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe all of the secret projects take place on new worlds. 

My confusion is, Painter lives in perpetual darkness but Yumi has a day-night cycle. I'm not sure how that's possible unless Painter lives at one of the poles. I initially thought that Painter lives in the Cognitive Realm while Yumi lives in the Physical Realm, but 

Spoiler

the scene with Design makes it clear Hoid used Lightweaving to project a "body" onto Design's Physical manifestation, meaning it takes place in the Physical Realm

1 minute ago, phraps said:

The "star" in Painter's sky is actually another planet. Also, Taldain is the sole planet of its system. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe all of the secret projects take place on new worlds. 

My confusion is, Painter lives in perpetual darkness but Yumi has a day-night cycle. I'm not sure how that's possible unless Painter lives at one of the poles. I initially thought that Painter lives in the Cognitive Realm while Yumi lives in the Physical Realm, but 

Hide contents

the scene with Design makes it clear Hoid used Lightweaving to project a "body" onto Design's Physical manifestation, meaning it takes place in the Physical Realm

Taldain is a planet, yes, but I am referring to Taldain the system, and in particular I mentioned their star - I'm arguing that Invested light is breaching the shroud from a different star system. Still, thanks for the heads up 

Still reading - I'm having to snatch moments, and I'm still writing random thoughts as new posts here :P:D - but I think, if I am right, there is a "cloud" of sorts surrounding Painter's side of the planet. I think they are on the same planet, but Painter is on a side with a magical cloud covering it, and only invested light can get through. Basically think of it like the planet is half covered and half uncovered. Painter is on the covered side, Yumi on the uncovered side. The covered side can't see the sun because the sun doesn't have Invested light, but the star - what I thought was a star at least, though thanks for the correction - has Invested light.

Though perhaps those theories will be shown false later when I've finished reading it :P

Ah, I think I misunderstood your original post. We're on the same page now.

The only problem with your theory, which is a good one, is that Painter's people have used telescopes to see their neighboring planet and can tell it's inhabited. If they were looking at Taldain, the light from the star would totally wash out the visibility of Taldain (the planet). So I think it's more likely that Painter's "star" is another planet in the same system.

Just now, phraps said:

Ah, I think I misunderstood your original post. We're on the same page now.

The only problem with your theory, which is a good one, is that Painter's people have used telescopes to see their neighboring planet and can tell it's inhabited. If they were looking at Taldain, the light from the star would totally wash out the visibility of Taldain (the planet). So I think it's more likely that Painter's "star" is another planet in the same system.

Ahhh, that does make this theory somewhat unlikely - still, maybe its half right and the reflected light from their sister world becomes Invested and so that is how it can be seen. I probably should finish reading the chapters first! :D

10 minutes ago, phraps said:

Hide contents

Painter's planet is covered in an inky black mass of investiture reminiscent of the shades on threnody and only the light(investiture related?) emitted from Yumi's planet passes through creating a sort of tunnel that they see as the "star". It is possible that one is a moon of the other. But there are clear roots here to a common ancestry on Roshar/Ashyn or at least with the Shin(common as in descended from or both peoples descended from the same earlier population).

1 minute ago, handleinthedark said:

Painter's planet is covered in an inky black mass of investiture reminiscent of the shades on threnody and only the light(investiture related?) emitted from Yumi's planet passes through creating a sort of tunnel that they see as the "star". It is possible that one is a moon of the other. But there are clear roots here to a common ancestry on Roshar/Ashyn or at least with the Shin(common as in descended from or both peoples descended from the same earlier population).

I literally came to this conclusion a few moments ago too. I think it's certain that Painter and Yumi are on different planets in the same system, and when they swap places, they're transporting via the Cognitive Realm.

9 hours ago, handleinthedark said:

What leads you to believe this? Are you referring to Hoid's use of Rosharan knowledge and names? If so, keep in mind that he also references Scadrial, Sel, and probably more.

It seems to me that their planet is tidally-locked (I would call it a moon, but I don't know whether that would apply) between a star and a planet so that one side is always facing the planet, and the other the star. While I'm not an astronomer, I'd bet that the star being more reddish means that it's bigger, and that means their planet can be located closer to the planet that is tidally-locking theirs.

Looking back on it, Yumi being on a day-night cycle makes the most sense, and I suppose it would make sense for her people to live on the 2nd planet that painter's people observed in their telescopes.

On 18.03.2022 at 3:18 AM, iceblade44 said:

Hm, I think the daystar is more like Venus, which is something we often see in earth during mornings and evenings

Probably, even is once mentioned that "daystar" is right above horizon, just like Venus is.