Some Cosmere Tidbits from the SP#2 Spoiler Stream

iceblade44

Just some very neat things that were mentioned.

1. The readings on SP#3 and #4 are gonna be over 2 hours long, be prepared for that.

2. SP#4 is a book that he wanted to write, but it isn't one that he has mentioned before. Thus Silence Divine is out. It is very loosely based on the first Cosmere story he told after writing proto-dragonsteel as a teenager. Apparently I've heard that the story he wrote after dragonsteel was the Kite story so maybe its that? I'm not really that clear on what he wrote before trying to do actual novels.

3. We got details on the secret standalone cosmere novel, mentioned in the State of Sanderson 2019 and 2020. That book is none of the books thats on the kickstarter. Projected to be 200k-300k words, set in the future era of the Cosmere and is more "Beastly" and "Epic" from his usual fair.

6 hours ago, iceblade44 said:

Just some very neat things that were mentioned.

1. The readings on SP#3 and #4 are gonna be over 2 hours long, be prepared for that.

2. SP#4 is a book that he wanted to write, but it isn't one that he has mentioned before. Thus Silence Divine is out. It is very loosely based on the first Cosmere story he told after writing proto-dragonsteel as a teenager. Apparently I've heard that the story he wrote after dragonsteel was the Kite story so maybe its that? I'm not really that clear on what he wrote before trying to do actual novels.

That would be White Sand or a protoform thereof, wouldn't it?

In that case I am going to hazard a guess. The cover is featuring Baon.

21 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

White sand has been published(albeit in a different form than his original I assume)

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

No he wrote White Sand when he was in college. That was the first novel he ever wrote. From the impression I got, he had tried to write stories before but none of them were on the level of books

6 hours ago, iceblade44 said:

No he wrote White Sand when he was in college. That was the first novel he ever wrote. From the impression I got, he had tried to write stories before but none of them were on the level of books

• We know the protagonist -> he or she does not come from an utterly unknown world
  • The protagonist hails from an early novel -> rules out Threnody and First of the Sun for sure, possibly also Roshar, Sel and Nalthis
  • They had to add three suns to the database -> the protagonist has to be a worldhopper

Each of these clues alone is pretty useless. But together they do not leave a lot of places.

AFAIK there was no Elantris Prime. (Way of Kings Prime)

Spoiler

And Awakeners were Rosharan in early stories.

In fact, wasn't Roshar a later invention, postdating Taldain and Scadrial?

1 hour ago, cometaryorbit said:
  Hide contents

Well, the Rosharan "Awakening" was an old name for Soulcasting, not the same as the actual Awakening magic system in Warbreaker.

Correct, but that means that proto-Warbreaker postdates proto-Stormlight.

1 hour ago, Oltux72 said:

Correct, but that means that proto-Warbreaker postdates proto-Stormlight.

Definitely, IIRC Vasher/Zahel was already established in WoK Prime.

In fact I think Mistborn book one at least had already been written, since there's a comment in the annotations or a WoB about the color-based magic system being inspired by a comment from his editor about wanting "more color" after Elantris and Mistborn.

EDIT: However, 'protagonist hails from an early novel' may not be as limiting as all that, since the character could have been moved to a different world/story from their original non-canon version (the way Bridge Four was originally in Dragonsteel).

Edited by cometaryorbit