Top 5 Movies

So, I don’t really know if someone has already made a thread about this, if someone has, than let me know!

so basically, I was thinking, and I am genuinely curious to see what your guy’s favorite movies are. Soyou will just list your top 5 favorite movies (no tv shows or movies series) you can also list your reasons why. 

here are mine:

1. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. 
As a Star Wars fan, this seems pretty typical, I do know a lot of people who like Empire Strikes Back. But I really enjoyed this movie, even in my childhood, growing up with parents who are Star Wars Fanatics gets you watching these movies at a young age. Even when I was seven, I would always be watching this movie. I love the plot and it genuinely made me cry.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird. 
this movie is just incredible, (I have not had the pleasure to read the book yet) I really think it just inspires you to be a better person, the plot itself is incredible. I really can’t think of a good word to describe it, if you have seen it, then you may know what I’m talking about. It is definitely my favorite really old movie.

3. A Quiet Place. 
I find this movie thrilling! I can’t not watch it and still jump at the jump scares. I really like how John Krasinski directed it. 

4. Shrek. 
You can’t not love this movie. It is one of the few movies I can watch multiple times in a certain time period. It is just really funny and I like how they added Smash Mouth songs. It is just one of those movies that just about everyone loves.

5. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2. 
I really love the books don’t get me wrong, but I think this movie is close to being just as good. I love this movie! It has made me cry in both tears of happiness and tears of sorrow. I really love part 2 because it has most of the major event, which I will not list for spoilerly reasons. I really love this movie!

Yeah, those are my top 5 favorite movies. If you haven’t seen any of them, I highly recommend! I can’t wait to see what you guys have! 

Edited by Maddie The Succulent

1. Interstellar

everything else is so far below it that it almost isn't worth listing the rest but...

2. Primer
3. Wall-E
4. LOTR
5. Rouge One

This isn't a very comprehensive list, as I tried to not have too many things that felt like duplicates. (only one Christopher Nolan movie, only one Pixar movie, only one time travel movie, only one star wars movie etc.)

1. How To Train Your Dragon 

2. Shrek

3. Rise Of Skywalker (it got a lot of hate, but I think it's dope)

4. Cars (this movie was my entire childhood i swear)

5. Interstellar

And a bunch more beneath that because I like too many movies!!

This isn't in any particular order, but:

Interstellar

Cinderella (2015)

Lord of the Rings (It's just one really long movie, right?)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Dune (2021)

My top five is pretty undefined, but if I just wanted to chill and hangout with someone, one of these would probably my go to, if I didn't feel up to watching something new.

The Chronicles of Narnia are also pretty high up on the list.

15 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

This isn't in any particular order, but:

Interstellar

Cinderella (2015)

Lord of the Rings (It's just one really long movie, right?)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Dune (2021)

My top five is pretty undefined, but if I just wanted to chill and hangout with someone, one of these would probably my go to, if I didn't feel up to watching something new.

The Chronicles of Narnia are also pretty high up on the list.

... LOTR is three movies...

1.) Good Will Hunting
2.) Dazed & Confused
3.) Star Wars Episode IV: The Empire Strikes Back
4.) The Nightmare Before Christmas
5.) The Big Lebowski

A few honorable mentions in no particular order:
South Park: Bigger, Longer And Uncut
Pan's Labyrinth
Pulp Fiction
Fargo
The Princess Bride

Edited by The Sovereign
Added the rest of my top 10 because I'm a rebel...

Crap, I'd struggle with a top 20. Let's see:

1. Millennium Actress. 

2. When Marnie was There. 

3. Interstellar. 

4. 5 Centimeters per Second. 

5. Wolf Children. 

Everything under number 1 is in no particular order. I have one favorite movie and a gazillion second favorites. I just chose a few I'm fond of, without repeating directors. 

In no particular order:

1) No Country for Old Men

2) John Carpenter's The Thing

3) Fantastic Planet

4) The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

5) The Lighthouse 

Basically, just what came to mind with the caveat "if I were flipping through channels and this movie was on, would I feel I had to watch it? 

Fun topic! 

1. John Carpenter's Big Trouble in Little China. So good, on so many levels.

il_fullxfull.1750502590_hx24.thumb.jpg.5e8b4c19602d259ee5e3aa5bf8bff877.jpg

2. The Magician, the 1958 film directed by Igmar Bergman, starring Max Van Sydow. The attic scene with Von Sydow walking alternately in complete blackness and pools of light is one of the best scenes in any film. The trailer spoilered below has a cheesy voice over, but you can see what a visually remarkable movie this is. 

Spoiler

3. Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo and the western remake of it, A Fistfull of Dollars. I like a Fistful of Dollars better, but just a tiny bit more. 

CC_Express_20220319_0952160.9749643569245878.thumb.png.68fc9423c0336a170392ff77811fde5e.png

4. Pee Wee's Big Adventure. A Modern retelling of the Odyssey. 

Spoiler

Is there something you'd like to share with the rest with rest of us Amazing Larry? 

amazing-larry-mario-pee-wee.gif.2eae06d8ac3c19102ec758d37e9e7cc5.gif

5. The Terry Gilliam 1989 Adventures of Baron Munchausen. A comically absurd fairytale, visually beautiful and just a fun movie. Check out how close to the Gustave Dore illustrations Gilliam cast the role of the Baron:

Polish_20220319_102244154.jpg.28eec1ab21d3fd79659141a33da5920a.jpg

Edited by Hoiditthroughthegrapevine

1. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

I can't really describe why I love this movie so much, as to call it my favorite movie of all time. The humor, design and action is just perfect for me. That is just a joy to watch and I have the biggest crush on Ramona.

2. LoTR

I know it's a trilogy, feel free to report me to the mods for breaking the rules :P This story is just amazing, the way it's shown gives me chills every time I watch it... and I watch it at least once a year.

3. Kingdom of Heaven

I just love stories where heroes go from zero to hero and in this case, it's just perfect execution of this trope. Also, Eva Green is just too beautiful, the rest of the cast is also amazing and I will always see Jeremy Irons from this movie as my Dalinar.

4. Atlantis: The Lost Empire

A Disney cartoon that I just fell in love with when I was a kid. I love Milo and his dorkiness and the whole crew. The visuals of Atlantis are also really impressive.

5. Bridge to Terabithia

Because sometimes I just feel like crying and suffering.

On 3/19/2022 at 1:29 PM, Hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

1. John Carpenter's Big Trouble in Little China. So good, on so many levels.

"This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there."

i-love-culture-culture.gif

It is one of my favorites as well. Excellent choice. 

• 1 year later...

In no particular order (mostly because I don't plan to reorder them as I think of them):

• Clue - Classic comedy at its finest with a huge all-star cast (for the 80s). Also, for those of us old enough to remember, how can you not love a movie audacious enough to make three separate endings without telling anybody - so the ending you saw was different per theater (sometimes per "screen" as I first saw this at a 15 screen theater outside Detroit and two of the showings had different endings). Now, on DVD, you can choose "random ending" or "all three" - where "all three" will show Ending 1, then pop up an old style "silent movie" placard saying "That's how it might have been, but it could have happened like this" - cue ending 2, followed by "But it really happened like this" - and finally ending three.
  • Much Ado About Nothing - Speaking of stealth all-star casts. I firmly beleive this is the best Shakespearean adapatation ever. Especially when one considers it was filmed as basically a week-long party. Branagh had the cast come to Italy (I think it was his estate - but I can't find that interview anymore) and basically said "actors playing for actors" - lets just do this outside in whatever we can find. So, lots of sun, lots of laughs and just a great film.
  • Red - Here's the thing about Bruce Willis comedies - if he's trying to be funny, it's awful (The Whole Nine Yards); but when he's the straight man and people are funny around him, it's epic. TVTropes says it best - much can be forgiven of any film with Helen Mirren manning a .50 cal machine gun. Sure, the action is over-the-top (it's meant to be) like the scene stepping out of a car doing a donut in the middle of the road - but that's part of the epicness. And Malkovich just shines.
  • Dead Poet's Society - In all the great Robin Williams' dramas, if I can only choose one I have to go with the movie that Robin used to prove that he can do more than just comedy. Content, timing, everything about this film was awesome, and without it we would never have gotten to see films like Good Will Hunting, What Dreams May Come, Etc.
  • Transformers The Movie - Anybody born after the 80s cannot appreciate how much this film changed animation. All Star cast? First to do that. Consequences of violence? First to do that (any Gen Xer that saw this in the theater will likely admit to crying at the Death of Optimus Prime - protagonist death was unheard of in Animation before this - especially before the climax). Swearing in theater-released Animation* - First to do that (and get the VHS released censored in the US - I had to buy mine in Canada to get the uncensored film). Orson Wells, Robert Stack, Leonard Nimoy - just everything about this film was awesome (and why any fan of the originals despises BeyFormers)

*Not including Pinocchio and Sleeping Beauty that used words only considered cursing after-the-fact ("jackass" to mean donkey in the former, and "hell" in reference to the Christian location in the latter)

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

Oh this is a fun list.

The original Transformers movie is the most high-effort casting I have ever heard of from any animation. Some of the Ghibli dubs come close I guess, but Orson Welles??

I saw Clue on DVD as a kid and really enjoyed the multiple endings bit. Am now a huge Agatha Christie fan. I don't actually remember much of the movie though.

5 hours ago, celerrima said:

The original Transformers movie is the most high-effort casting I have ever heard of from any animation. Some of the Ghibli dubs come close I guess, but Orson Welles??

As I recall, it was his last performance. He died before it was released to theaters. . .

• 3 weeks later...

List in no particular order:

• Arrival
  • The Princess Bride
  • Princess Mononoke
  • Return of the Jedi
  • Rogue One

It seems I like Star Wars and movies that have the word princess in the titles but aren’t actually about princesses (Princess Mononoke was just Lady Eboshi’s nickname for San and in the book Buttercup is made a Princess of Hammersmith but that was taken out of the movie, and she never legally married Humperdinck).

• 4 weeks later...