Discussing the "A Quiet Place" Monsters

danex

first things first, spoiler policy. 1st movie is allowed completely untagged, 2nd movie stuff should be tagged in a spoiler box. i know it came out forever ago, but just in case.

k, I just watched A Quiet Place 2 for the first time, and now I'm thinking about the world these movies take place in. Specifically about the monsters. I was wondering what their native environment would look like. What conditions and other organisms must have been present in order for them to evolve the traits that they did.

Here's what we know about these monsters:

• Incredibly strong hearing
  • skin like thick armor
  • amazing predators
    • super fast, super agile, sharp teeth, sharp claws, basically a killing machine
  • certain noises hurt them

and then here's some more from AQP2. (nothing is plot-relevant)

Spoiler
  • they're aliens (fairly obvious from first movie, but nice to be confirmed)
  • they can't swim
  • they aren't flammable
  • they don't kill to eat. they leave corpses lying around. this implies a hatred of sound, however we don't see them attacking non-living forms of sound (e.g.. waterfall), so either they are intelligent enough to differentiate between nature sounds and living sounds, or they could just hate life. or maybe they did try to stop the sound of the waterfall at first and gave up when they couldn't kill it.

so what could have prompted these traits?
one thing I've been thinking about in particular is which could have come first, the weakness to sound, or the incredible hearing. they could have evolved the great hearing in order to be able to better hunt and destroy potential sounds that could hurt them, or their incredible hearing is so sensitive that the weakness manifested afterwards. either is possible imo.

thoughts?

It's possible for a maladaptive trait to coast by if there are insufficient environmental pressures on a species that would cause that trait to reduce fitness.

So the timeline would look like this: the beings evolved extremely precise hearing because it was initially an upside, their hearing kept getting stronger and stronger with each generation, until at a certain point it got too strong, to the point of becoming a weakness, but at this point, they were already the apex predators with no reliable competitors in their ecosystem, so nothing could force them to need to dial it back anymore. Also, there is a feedback loop here with the environment: for the other species surrounding the monsters, it was beneficial for fitness to become more silent in order to survive their sound-based predators, so in the present day, strong-sound-making adaptations would serve them well, but they already selected themselves out of that option completely.

There's another possibility which is a bit out there. And I say "out there" not because it's super implausible that this could happen evolutionarily, but "out there" because in a writerly sense, most non-biologists wouldn't consider it. Namely, that there's a gene cluster that coincidentally grants both the armor plating and the sound weakness. And even though this cluster is not strict upside, it's still "worth it", so the monsters that had this cluster outbred the monsters that didn't.

On 3/13/2022 at 0:18 AM, Dannnex said:
  Hide contents
  • they're aliens (fairly obvious from first movie, but nice to be confirmed)
  • they can't swim
  • they aren't flammable
  • they don't kill to eat. they leave corpses lying around. this implies a hatred of sound, however we don't see them attacking non-living forms of sound (e.g.. waterfall), so either they are intelligent enough to differentiate between nature sounds and living sounds, or they could just hate life. or maybe they did try to stop the sound of the waterfall at first and gave up when they couldn't kill it.

Eeee! I thought I was one of maybe one or two fans on the Shard!!!

Spoilers:

Spoiler

I do think that they might be able to decipher nature noises from animal noises because of the fact that they won’t kill each other because; they do make noise. This might be because they know how to communicate, or they are intelligent enough to know the difference in different living organisms. Maybe the Abbots (the fam) could learn how to mimic the sound with a device, considering that the monsters can’t see. 

So, I had heard that the actor of Jim (John Krasinski) from the office was in it, so I had to see it. Someone had also told me that his wife, Emily Blunt was in it, and that got me even more excited. 
Honestly, both movies are in my top five.