A disturbing possibility (setting horror)

Ixthos

So, we know they can visit and claim worlds of a lower technological level than their own in this setting - the person who purchases a dimension is stated to "own" it, and the entire population, and is free to live and rule as they choose - including their control over the populace.

So what if there are more advanced dimensions than the one the protagonist comes from, and they are the source of the technology? Or even if they aren't, what if his dimension is unknowingly owned by someone else?

... Sleep tight!

That is one take, yet, it seems more like this is not the first "wizard" they have encountered.  Meaning the conglomerate has sold this particular dimension a few times over with the same promise.  'Yours for the taking' minus the fact you are the 36th person to enter the realm *

*no legal suit can be provided towards the sellers

10 minutes ago, Binkery said:

That is one take, yet, it seems more like this is not the first "wizard" they have encountered.  Meaning the conglomerate has sold this particular dimension a few times over with the same promise.  'Yours for the taking' minus the fact you are the 36th person to enter the realm *

*no legal suit can be provided towards the sellers

I don't think someone has to be an interdimensional traveler in order to attempt to con some villagers out of some gold.

5 hours ago, Nameless said:

I don't think someone has to be an interdimensional traveler in order to attempt to con some villagers out of some gold.

True but the villagers certainly are more adept and advanced for what should be.  Plus as Ixthos stated it could be owned by someone else

Just now, Binkery said:

True but the villagers certainly are more adept and advanced for what should be.  Plus as Ixthos stated it could be owned by someone else

Why are the villagers more adept than they should be? They're still people, and there have always been smart people.

1 hour ago, Nameless said:

Why are the villagers more adept than they should be? They're still people, and there have always been smart people.

The girl had a pocket knife which is completely out of range for the era.  Plus the notion that she was just as much a snake oil seller as he was with the "spells" she was casting to hinder him.  Naturally I'm reading far more into than I should as with all his fiction it's never what you think.  I'm just wishing this truth ha

7 hours ago, Binkery said:

The girl had a pocket knife which is completely out of range for the era.  Plus the notion that she was just as much a snake oil seller as he was with the "spells" she was casting to hinder him.  Naturally I'm reading far more into than I should as with all his fiction it's never what you think.  I'm just wishing this truth ha

If you didn’t catch it, there’s actually magic in that dimension. So the spells she casts are real, although not effective on humans. Also, she didn’t have a pocket knife, she just had a knife in a pocket. People have had small knives for a long time.