A-Chromium Savant Abilities?

Duxredux

I've been wondering about what a A-Chromium savant could do and have a few ideas. 

It'd probably make sense for a Leecher to be able to use Chromium as a defensive technique if someone was trying to force investiture into them, such as Lashing, Soulcasting or blocking Lightwoven lasers. That might come up when we get to space age and have laser fabrials.

Crackpot idea for A-Chromium, we know it seems to only work on kinetic Investiture (though maybe a Savant could do something with passive/static), but it looks like Chromium allows a redirection/release of power, probably into the SR. I think it would be cool if a savant could actually redirect Investiture, instead of just burning it off. Like... Hoid somehow modifying Shallan's storytelling Lightweaving. Tweaking a Soulcasting to change whatever product the Radiant was hoping to make, changing the intended vector of a Lashing, or adjusting the Commands of an Awakened object such as a doll.

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Duxredux said:

It'd probably make sense for a Leecher to be able to use Chromium as a defensive technique if someone was trying to force investiture into them, such as Lashing, Soulcasting or blocking Lightwoven lasers. That might come up when we get to space age and have laser fabrials.

Keep in mind that unless you have a primer cube, we have only seen leeching happen when there is physical contact with the person using the invested art. We don’t know all the limitations of leeching yet. Reacting to neutralize investiture as it affects you is more the sphere of allomantic aluminum. What you are proposing is not flat out impossible, but it’s very questionable.

Edited by Crucible of Shards

1 hour ago, Crucible of Shards said:

Keep in mind that unless you have a primer cube, we have only seen leeching happen when there is physical contact with the person using the invested art. We don’t know all the limitations of leeching yet. Reacting to neutralize investiture as it affects you is more the sphere of allomantic aluminum. What you are proposing is not flat out impossible, but it’s very questionable.

You're right, we don't know the limitations of leeching which why I'm theorizing. This is obviously RAFO territory. If we're looking at resisting Investiture, then really, plating everything with Aluminum is simpler and more cost efficient, though it can restrict your own abilities which is why I don't think it will be a catchall solution. I'm also looking at A-Chromium as an option since it doesn't have the side effect of also wiping all of your other Investiture reserves, making it more versatile if perhaps less effective.

And thanks @EmulatonStromenkiin, I think I hid the other one. My computer got an error when I posted and I think it posted twice.

Edited by Duxredux

2 hours ago, Duxredux said:

You're right, we don't know the limitations of leeching which why I'm theorizing. This is obviously RAFO territory. If we're looking at resisting Investiture, then really, plating everything with Aluminum is simpler and more cost efficient, though it can restrict your own abilities which is why I don't think it will be a catchall solution.

I’m not trying to attack you. One of the purposes of the forums is to bring counterpoint to each other’s ideas. I think it’s possible Chromium might do some of what you are proposing, but the point I’m trying to make is that when I extrapolate from the evidence we do have, I don’t see it having the effect you propose.

My guess on savanthood would be that it would allow a person to be more selective in what investiture they are wiping from another person, just like a person who is very practiced with aluminum is able to be more selective in what they wipe from themselves. Say a leecher savant is trying to wipe a Twinborn who is actively using allomancy and feruchemy. I would guess a savant might be able to target only one of the kinetic investitures if they so choose. That’s what I would suggest based on how I understand Sanderson’s magic systems generally working.

Kurkistan

If you're on Threnody and you get withered by a shade, are you better off burning Allomantic aluminum, or tapping Feruchemical gold?

*laughter*

[clarification on the question]

Brandon Sanderson

They would both work pretty well. I would say if you burned aluminum, that would kind of have the effect that you are wanting it to have, which is the effect-- negating and sucking out, so that's probably safer. But the gold would work, too.

Kurkistan

So would it be fair to describe withering as a kind of cancerous Forging-

Brandon Sanderson

Sure.

Kurkistan

That just kind of slowly takes over your soul?

Brandon Sanderson

Sure.

Shadows of Self Chicago signing (Oct. 12, 2015)

and also, 

Douglas

What benefit does an aluminum savant get? Yes, I know this would normally never happen because aluminum burns itself up. Suppose a mad scientist with a willing Mistborn test subject shoved a feeding tube down the Mistborn's throat to pump in a continuous stream of aluminum, replenishing it steadily so there's always a new unburned supply. Add another tube to pump out excess water if necessary. What would he discover? Alternatively, what would Sazed with his Shard-granted knowledge know?

Brandon Sanderson

Ha, that IS a little silly of a method. However, on the extreme end of aluminum, I have in the notes the possibility of cleansing the spirit of unwanted effects of other Investitures. You'd get really good at this, and maybe even be able to cleanse the body of other impurities.

17th Shard Forum Q&A (Sept. 27, 2012) Edited by Crucible of Shards
Gathering WOBs

On 3/12/2022 at 0:18 PM, Crucible of Shards said:

I’m not trying to attack you. One of the purposes of the forums is to bring counterpoint to each other’s ideas. I think it’s possible Chromium might do some of what you are proposing, but the point I’m trying to make is that when I extrapolate from the evidence we do have, I don’t see it having the effect you propose.

My guess on savanthood would be that it would allow a person to be more selective in what investiture they are wiping from another person, just like a person who is very practiced with aluminum is able to be more selective in what they wipe from themselves. Say a leecher savant is trying to wipe a Twinborn who is actively using allomancy and feruchemy. I would guess a savant might be able to target only one of the kinetic investitures if they so choose. That’s what I would suggest based on how I understand Sanderson’s magic systems generally working.

Sigh... I'm not good at forums it seems. I had been specifically trying to not sound defensive, because you made a valid point. It might be that I'm trying to be too clever, because I fully expect there to be aspects to Sanderson's magic systems that he's kept deliberately obscure, since that's always been my experience when reading his books. I picked up Elantris as a junior high student in the school library before Hero of Ages was even released, and I spent years thinking that there were only 11-14 metals. I enjoy trying to guess the weird thing he built in and is hiding, but if this is the wrong place or way to do it I can do it elsewhere. 

Edited by Duxredux

@Duxredux hey, don’t go away! It’s not easy on the forums to always come across as you mean to. We need people who think differently and ask the questions no one else is asking. Otherwise, theorizing just isn’t going to happen. I’ve posted a quote before that was saying the exact opposite of what I thought it was and had to eat my words. 

For what it’s worth, you came off far less defensive than some regulars do sometimes.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2022 at 4:57 AM, Crucible of Shards said:

@Duxredux hey, don’t go away! It’s not easy on the forums to always come across as you mean to. We need people who think differently and ask the questions no one else is asking. Otherwise, theorizing just isn’t going to happen. I’ve posted a quote before that was saying the exact opposite of what I thought it was and had to eat my words. 

For what it’s worth, you came off far less defensive than some regulars do sometimes.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I ended up taking a break anyway, since I've got a lot on my plate with life, but I'll still pop in once in a while.

I really like the idea. We've only seen Chromium used through the primer cube, and never seen Nicrosil Allomancy at all... these metals have a lot of unknowns.

I think the defensive Leeching sounds plausible, in the right circumstances, but wouldn't be the same thing as using Aluminum Allomancy that way - it would be Leeching external Investiture before it enters the Leecher's self, not wiping out already present foreign Investiture.

(Like the difference between grabbing a Radiant's glowing hand and Leeching their Stormlight before they can Lash you, using Chromium... vs burning away a Lashing already working on you using Aluminum.)

I think the external/internal distinction needs to stay since its the main difference between Chromium/Aluminum and Duralumin/Nicrosil.

This might not be a Savantism thing so much as speed, reflexes, and precision.

Carefully shaping others' use of Investiture strikes me as beyond Chromium, even with Savantism, but who knows.

@Crucible of Shards's idea of savantism allowing more precise control of what is Leeched sounds plausible to me.

Edited by cometaryorbit
typo