Price of aluminum

TheSheev

I'm not sure if this has been answered but my 5 minute google search returned nothing haha.

So as I'm rereading mistborn era 2 one thing that bothered me was the aluminum-lined hats. Why are tiny bullets so expensive, but somehow common people have aluminum lined hats (I say common because I believe at the start of book 2 I believe there was a group with them)? 

29 minutes ago, TheSheev said:

I'm not sure if this has been answered but my 5 minute google search returned nothing haha.

So as I'm rereading mistborn era 2 one thing that bothered me was the aluminum-lined hats. Why are tiny bullets so expensive, but somehow common people have aluminum lined hats (I say common because I believe at the start of book 2 I believe there was a group with them)? 

I think in book 2 that was a group of high-ranking underworld leaders. So not common people.

6 hours ago, TheSheev said:

Because the bullets are not pure aluminium, most likely. Alloy of Law has a scene with Waxillium doing chemistry and finding "eka-boron" in the metal. That most likely refers to scandium. It is hideously expensive even today, but it can be used in related applications.

Scandium used in guns

Now to answer this competently you need in gunsmith. The patent covers use of scandium/aluminium alloys in structural components.