Things that keep you going

Tesh

I was just thinking that it might be a good idea to have a thread where we can just share the things that keep us going. Songs, quotes, books, tumblr posts, anything like that. When you're struggling, this is what you turn to for motivation or a little bit of happy. Or even what brings you joy when you're already in a good place.

^_^

These are some of mine.

• This Year, The Mountain Goats
  • No Children, The Mountain Goats (this song is not happy at all, but it's good, and is really fun to yell along with.)
  • Flares, The Script (perfect for when you're feeling lonely)
  • Piano Man, Billy Joel 
  • The Boxer, Mumford and Sons (This one is also really sad, but also really good.)
  • Carry On, Fun
  • The Anthropocene Reviewed, by John Green (This is one of my favorite books of all time, and it really makes you appreciate being alive, and being able to experience. I'll probably share quotes from this a lot if this thread becomes a little active.)
  • An Absolutely Remarkable Thing, by Hank Green (A beautiful book that reminds you that despite our flaws, humanity is amazing)
  • Hank Green music (This Isn't Hogwarts and A Song About an Anglerfish are a couple of my favorites. They're just fun and remind you that you're unalone in your nerdiness.)
  • Vlogbrothers videos (especially the sunset ones, or the ones where John goes on a walk from 2020. Vlogbrothers videos just in general are the reason I'm a functioning human being.)

Well... books by Brandon obviously. I don't exactly know what it is, but reading them makes me happy. I love reading in general but while other authors are great too, their works do not manage to leave me with such a good mood as Brandon's do. Even if I only have the time for a chapter or just a few pages, no matter how stressed I was before, my mood improves significantly. 

Other than that, videogames. At the end of a long day, there is not much that can be better than just be swept away in an interactive world that doesn't have all the problems of the real one. There can also be much value in the zen like style of little games, but I love big open world ones. ^_^

For music, right now I prefer the quieter tones of Silent Skies or Low Roar. But usually I love Evergrey and Poets of the Fall, and Amorphis always makes me feel right at home. 

The Shard :D You guys are awesome.

Books:

• The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett (sharp, insightful, hilarious, well written comic fantasy series.)

and if I try to describe books we'll be here all day, so rapid fire

• The Lord of the Rings, by J. R. R. Tolkien
  • Most of Brandon's books (some of Kaladin's scenes were hard to read.)
  • The Psmith series, and just Wodehouse in general (although I do get frustrated at all the misunderstandings.)
  • Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman 
  • Watership Down, by Richard Adams
  • The Martian, by Andy Weir (Mark's determination to survive is inspiring.)
  • The Curse of Chalion, by Lois McMaster Bujold
  • The Heart Of A Boy, by Edmondo De Amicis
  • Rivers of London, by Ben Aaronovitch (especially the audiobook versions.)
  • Dogsbody and the Howl's Moving Castle series, by Diana Wynne Jones.

Comics:

• Calvin and Hobbes, by Bill Watterson (So, so much. I've reread this many times, and it still makes me laugh.)
  • Girl Genius, by Phil and Kaja Foglio

TV shows:

• Horrible Histories 
  • Doctor Who
  • Good Omens
  • Ghosts (2019)

Podcasts:

• The Amelia Project

Music: I usually don't have a specific artist or song I listen to when I'm depressed, but folklore and evermore by Taylor Swift (and her music in general) have really helped me this past six months or so.

And sometimes I swear really really fast at myself under my breath. I know it's not healthy, but it helps me cope.

Edited by Robin Sedai
wow, that ended up longer than I thought it would be

Books: Too many, I'm not listing them all.

Movies: Again, so many, mostly MCU though.

TV Shows: Owl House, Amphibia.

Hobbies/Interests: Minecraft, Writing, Roblox

Podcasts: WLOA, Certified Hood Classics, Shardcast, Chuckle Sandwich

Comics: Big Nate, Bone, Calvin and Hobbes (Literally my childhood)

Music: *points to my 1.26k songs in my liked songs playlist* All Of These.

And all my friends and loved ones!!!

On 8.3.2022 at 1:22 AM, Orlion Blight said:

Spite.:ph34r:

Similar, but not exactly the same: sheer stubbornness. Life are hard, but I want to keep living, so I will. I will grind my teeth and do that thing I hate, because I have to do it. 

Also, random jokes that I believe that only I will find funny. Whenever I think of such things my mood improves greatly, though any sane person would probably tell me that those are horrible jokes. Usually they include obscure references to books I've read. As long as I can make myself giggle, the world isn't lost.

• 1 month later...

Music! "For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me," after all.

As far as hymns go, I love 'em all, but there's a handful that really resonate with me. Chief among them are "How Firm a Foundation" and "It Is Well With My Soul". Also, I want "Pilgrim Song" sung at my funeral.

As far as other music, it's no exaggeration to say that Collective Soul speaks to my...soul. (Heyyy.) And lately I've found that Yorushika's music--especially suis' voice--has the same effect. I don't understand a word, but that's hardly the point.

There are other things I could name, too: My family. My church. My friends. Books, some shows. At the heart of it all, though, you'll find music there alongside it.

Oh, but don't forget sleep! And frightening amounts of caffeine. Those are important too. ;) 

Music is heavily prevalent in my life. Spotify is my most used app of 2022 (and probably 2021) because of how much music I listen to. I'm currently riding the AJR bandwagon, as well as several other artists I've listened to for years.

My friends are easily the best thing I could ever have. Nothing could come between us, I love them all to pieces and if anything happened to them i would kill everyone in this room and then myself.

My best friend, who doesn't know I've completely fallen for her. She is amazing and I wish her all the best. Kylie, if you ever read this, I need you to know how scudding amazing you are, and how much you deserve. You're funny, too chaotic than is probably healthy, and amazingly creative. This post is just me being dramatic (as usual) but you really are amazing and so is everything else in this life that I can think of.

The Shard is also amazing. Y'all have read the brain rambling I've written, and apparently loved it, but I love you all so much.

Thank you all, and have a great day/week/month/year/LIFE!

Asking random questions that confuse people, and kurzgesagt in a nutshell, which is a youtube channel for inducing existential crises and doing silly things with math.

19 minutes ago, Doomslug The Destroyer said:

The Shard is also amazing. Y'all have read the brain rambling I've written, and apparently loved it, but I love you all so much.

Brain rambling is awesome, it gives us ways to create more ideas