Possible questions for next Tuesday's Q&A

Oltux72

• are the moons in orbits determined by gravity
  • are all oceans filled with spores
  • are the Iriali members of the same group that did or will inhabitate Iri on Roshar
  • when is the story set in the time line
  • where does the air that allows ships to sail the dry seas come from
  • are the vines susceptible to salt and silver after sprouting
  • Does it rain? Or does all the water come from beneath the planet?
  • Are there areas with no spores? (Shinovar-esk normal-ish places).
  • Do these people have the ability to drink saltwater and survive? (potential RAFO territory)
  • What is the planet called?
  • Just as the spores rain down on the planet, does matter or energy or investiture from the planet go to the moons - is there something keeping the whole planet from being covered in spores, and are the moons at risk of running out of spores?
  • Brandon mentioned the Princess Bride as an inspiration - are the spores likewise in any way conceptually related to Thread from Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series?
  • Are the moons positioned around the planet like the numbers of a clock - so all twelve equally spaced around the equator - or do they have a more exotic distribution?
  • How accurate is Hoid's statement about the proportion of the sky being taken up by the moons - are they visible from every location on the planet?
  • What does the Cognitive Realm of this planet look like, considering the spores are the equivalent of water, and water is solid in the Cognitive Realm of both seen subastrals?
  • Are the spores part of the Aether system - so each could in theory become an Aether - or are they byproducts, i.e. would a Verdent Aether form from a spore or would it itself be able to grow spores, or both?
  • Will we see the effect of other colours of spores getting wet?
  • Do the people eat the vines produced by the Verdant spores?
  • Is this the world the Iriali lived on before Roshar?
  • Are the moons core Aethers, and are there core Aethers on or near other worlds?
  • Is this planet know to worldhoppers known to worldhoppers besides Hoid? What do they think about it?
  • If Foil lives in those oceans, how does he survive it?

Anything to add?

Edited by Oltux72
incorporating suggestions

I am responding to the dot jots in order.

1 I think he says that they are in geosynchronous orbits, which means it is probably gravity. But, the fact that he wants it to be primarily non-magical is probably why people who work out the science are pulling out their hair (since it doesn't work particularly well, when you take physics into account). I'd imagine people are still figuring this one out... It seems RAFO/ I haven't done the math territory.

2 I would like to add a sub-question of whether there is water at the bottom of these dust/ pollen pits. At one point, Hoid, our narrator, puts it in a way that makes it sounds like the oceans were covered in dust, but another time he makes it sound like they are solely made of pollen.

3 I think this is almost a certainty. It is really awesome that we have found another Iriali land. I want to know what number land this is, 1, 2, 3 or 4. I think we will be able to find some idioms now that correspond to this planet. We might be able to figure out which land it is with the 4th question.

Spoiler

Assume that Taldain is a Iriali land and Nalthis is, potentially, one of the more recent ones. And this new planet...

(The last 3 are really good questions that I want to know the answer to and don't sound to RAFO-able (4-6))

4 Yes, I really want to know when this takes place.

A questions I want to add is 

7 Does it rain? Or does all the water come from beneath the planet?

8 Are there areas with no spores? (Shinovar-esk normal-ish places).

9 Do these people have the ability to drink saltwater and survive? (potential RAFO territory)

10 Maybe this is obvious... But a planet name would be awesome! 

Poke as many holes as you can and maybe refine them into less RAFO-able questions if you can please.

Edited by Kandrafish
Read the post on geosynchronous orbits and realized what the question really meant for 1.

• Just as the spores rain down on the planet, does matter or energy or investiture from the planet go to the moons - is there something keeping the whole planet from being covered in spores, and are the moons at risk of running out of spores?
  • Brandon mentioned the Princess Bride as an inspiration - are the spores likewise in any way conceptually related to Thread from Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series?
  • Are the moons positioned around the planet like the numbers of a clock - so all twelve equally spaced around the equator - or do they have a more exotic distribution?
  • How accurate is Hoid's statement about the proportion of the sky being taken up by the moons - are they visible from every location on the planet?
  • What does the Cognitive Realm of this planet look like, considering the spores are the equivalent of water, and water is solid in the Cognitive Realm of both seen subastrals?
  • Are the spores part of the Aether system - so each could in theory become an Aether - or are they byproducts, i.e. would a Verdent Aether form from a spore or would it itself be able to grow spores, or both?
  • Will we see the effect of other colours of spores getting wet?
  • Do the people eat the vines produced by the Verdant spores?
  • Are the moons core Aethers, and are there core Aethers on or near other worlds?
Edited by Ixthos

58 minutes ago, Debarra said:

Is the planets cognitive realm have just normal liquid water as its oceans?

Does the one we already have cover that:

What does the Cognitive Realm of this planet look like, considering the spores are the equivalent of water, and water is solid in the Cognitive Realm of both seen subastrals?

Edited by Oltux72
copy and paste error

41 minutes ago, iceblade44 said:

Anyone know how he will receive questions on YouTube, will it be donation based or does Adam pick out questions that are racing through the chat?

I think the normal way is some that have been seen on various social medias (mostly reddit and twitter I think) with a smattering of those in the chat and some through donations.

4 hours ago, Invocation said:

I think the normal way is some that have been seen on various social medias (mostly reddit and twitter I think) with a smattering of those in the chat and some through donations.

Good questions. I planned on asking about the five or so best questions here and to put them onto Reddit. As I have never done this I am absolutely open to help? @Argent

We don't know how these are going to be handled - using Reddit for the last couple of streams seems to have worked well, but who knows if they'll keep that up. There are some questions here that I like and will either ask or upvote, mostly about the worldbuilding - planet's name being my top choice. I personally would say anything over 2 questions per person is pushing it, but I can't tell y'all how to live your lives. I would also suggest posting the questions as separate posts (especially on Reddit), so people can more easily upvote the ones they like best, without having to deal with the dilemma of liking some but not all questions in a comment. 

4 minutes ago, Argent said:

We don't know how these are going to be handled - using Reddit for the last couple of streams seems to have worked well, but who knows if they'll keep that up. There are some questions here that I like and will either ask or upvote, mostly about the worldbuilding - planet's name being my top choice. I personally would say anything over 2 questions per person is pushing it, but I can't tell y'all how to live your lives. I would also suggest posting the questions as separate posts (especially on Reddit), so people can more easily upvote the ones they like best, without having to deal with the dilemma of liking some but not all questions in a comment. 

Can you give a few pointers to people who have never done ths as to which subreddits to use? Most of us have never asked an online question to Brandon.

Regarding the name of the world -- likely is "Lor" if Brandon still stuck with that 

but might be good to get confirmed. 

(Also interesting that for the previously planned Aether series, he was intending to draw inspiration from McCaffrey novels back in 2004, esp considering the way the spores fall from the moons). 

1 hour ago, Oltux72 said:

Can you give a few pointers to people who have never done ths as to which subreddits to use? Most of us have never asked an online question to Brandon.

I know there's a cosmere specific one, that's probably your best bet. Might be just r/cosmere, I don't use reddit all that much. 

23 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

The way it's worked in the past, Adam has put up a thread (e.g. here's the one for the Feb 1 stream) on r/brandonsanderson, and he picks the top questions from there.