Brandon reading from Secret Project #1

Spoiler

At first I thought the spores were Fainlife, then I thought they were Taldain Dayside organisms. Now, I think these are the new Verdant Aether equivalent. I think these are the seas where Foil dwells.

I love Brandon's writing in those one, and look, he can do romance right! And light, corny humour too!

Salt and silver!

The Iriali were here!

HIS JAW WAS SO STRAIGHT IT MADE OTHER MEN WONDER IF THEY WERE

Rescue the prince (well... ducal heir, close enough!) Yas!

Edited by Honorless

The detail with the cup that shows the butterfly over a sea. Tress points out that that doesn't make sense as a thing to depict when the sea is made of deadly pollen. Either that cup's from off-world, or it's quite old and this planet had normal seas once.

Also, the Iriali. They've been on Roshar for quite a while- much longer than the 300 years figure Charlie gives. So this is either the far-flung future of the Cosmere, past even where we expect the space-age stuff to be, or this is a planet they were on sometimes before coming to Roshar, which would probably mean this story takes place around the same time as the Desolations. Or even earlier. 

2 minutes ago, Gilphon said:

The detail with the cup that shows the butterfly over a sea. Tress points out that that doesn't make sense as a thing to depict when the sea is made of deadly pollen. Either that cup's from off-world, or it's quite old and this planet had normal seas once.

The sea is red. The simplest explanation would be that the butterfly is an aether.

3 hours ago, Honorless said:

Now, I think these are the new Verdant Aether equivalent. I think these are the seas where Foil dwells.

It might not be called such anymore but its still cool to see that Night is still a thing in one form or another.

im only assuming though from mentions of the "Midnight sea" and "Sea of Night" and how we know its called Verdant & the Verdant sea so the Midnight/Night sea must also be the Midnight or just Night aether

Edited by Eternal Khol

On 3/3/2022 at 1:52 PM, CTA said:

Further evidence that this is an Aether world: the story mentions there being 12 moons (video timestamp ~4:30), and Brandon has said "the Aether world is a 12 world"

Ok  Fill me in if you can, I haven't read aether of night. But I was told that  It was just investiger before investiger, And that all elements of the magic system were taken apart and incorporated into other magic systems already existing in existing in the cosmere.  How is the butterfly and or the midnight sea related to aether?

On 3/3/2022 at 1:11 PM, Oltux72 said:

The sea is red. The simplest explanation would be that the butterfly is an aether.

Please explain 

I can't help for why the butterfly might be an Aether, but This thread is a pretty good explanation of what Aether magic does, and it's been gathered from other sources that Aether are, in aggregate, sapient beings, like the Sleepless.

I was initially sceptical, but after reading up on it, the pollen in this story sounds a lot like Verdant Aether. Given that, it's probably safe to assume the 'Midnight Sea' the Sorcerer lives in is made of Night Aether. 

1 hour ago, Gilphon said:

Also, the Iriali. They've been on Roshar for quite a while- much longer than the 300 years figure Charlie gives. So this is either the far-flung future of the Cosmere, past even where we expect the space-age stuff to be, or this is a planet they were on sometimes before coming to Roshar, which would probably mean this story takes place around the same time as the Desolations. Or even earlier. 

I'm very interested in finding out the answer for this. I want to know exactly what step on the Iriali Long Trail this is.

I don't know about aether  But the spores reminded me a lot of white sands  Especially considering how they do things when they contact water.  I could easily see her gaining the ability to trade some of her water exchange for  The spores doing some effect. 

On 3/3/2022 at 2:00 PM, bmcclure7 said:

Please explain 

The cup my use some form of symbolism. Then interpretation is hopeless. Hence we must assume that it indeed depicts the part of the dry ocean that is filled with red spores. The "emerald" spores become vines when wetted. So the easy interpretation of the picture is that the red spores become a butterfly when exposed to water.

On 3/3/2022 at 2:15 PM, Invocation said:

I'm very interested in finding out the answer for this. I want to know exactly what step on the Iriali Long Trail this is.

This contains an assumption. Are we sure that there is only one group of Iriali? That is are they necessarily descendants or ancestors of the Iriali found on Roshar at the time of Stormlight Archive?

Okay, so: 

That’s where it started. It mixed with me wanting to find places to work in the Aethers (which are very relevant to the later cosmere) into a book somewhere. That, plus my love of the process of fluidization (where a granulated material, like sand, behaves somewhat like a liquid when air is forced through it.) I rammed these things together. A world where people sail upon powder or dust, instead of water. A way to start introducing the aethers to people as a cosmere magic. And the basic premise: What if Buttercup were more proactive?

I think it's officially safe to say that we're indeed looking at Aethers here. He'd hardly say that introducing people to Aether was one of the goals of this story, and then repeatedly refer the ocean as 'Verdant' if it wasn't supposed to be Verdant Aether. 

14 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

This contains an assumption. Are we sure that there is only one group of Iriali? That is are they necessarily descendants or ancestors of the Iriali found on Roshar at the time of Stormlight Archive?

Well, given that it seems to be only a single group and their collective worldhopping seems to be some form of high cultural/religious ceremony/importance thing, I think any group of them who didn't go along with the main body would be officially unrecognized by the main body, so even if there are multiple groups objectively, that would depend on who you ask. 
But yeah, there might be multiple. 

A). Who's the person the story is being told to. 

They understood what moons meant so that rules out scadrial.

They understood pigeon and elephant seal and didn't make a fuss about the iriali so that rules out Roshar.

Taldain is ruled out as they made no fuss on the movement of the sun.

Hmm but if it's being told in the future of the cosmere all bets are off although u would also expect some to know about the pollen seas then. 

B). Also it's an island world like FotS again. So Obrodai ? 

C). Are the spores investiture ? If so are the oceans enormous shard pools ? If someone can survive the spores can they go to the cognitive realm ? 

1 hour ago, Friendshipspren said:

No. Scadrial itself has no moon. The Scadrian system contains planets with multiple moons. An educated Scadrian would understand the concept.

They understood pigeon and elephant seal and didn't make a fuss about the iriali so that rules out Roshar.

Taldain is ruled out as they made no fuss on the movement of the sun.

Good points.

Hmm but if it's being told in the future of the cosmere all bets are off although u would also expect some to know about the pollen seas then. 

B). Also it's an island world like FotS again. So Obrodai ? 

That would imply Autonomy and the Aethers sharing a world. That seems counterautonomous.

C). Are the spores investiture ? If so are the oceans enormous shard pools ? If someone can survive the spores can they go to the cognitive realm ?

The spores remain after death by salt. That indicates that they are matter. Possibly extraordinarily Invested matter, but matter.

2 hours ago, Friendshipspren said:

I'm hesitant to use the "they understood" argument to rule out who he is telling the story to. Hoid on occasion has used words and phrases his audience does not understand (bunny for example) and we are only getting Hoid's POV so far at least so we do not know what the audience does or does not understand.  

18 hours ago, Invocation said:

I really want to know more about the Iriali as well. I don't know what step on the Trail this emerald sea was but I think Sel came before it. I think they were on Sel early in the trail and they were the people that built Elantris originally (the modern Elantris was found fully built and empty as if the founders vanished overnight ...) Plus a different group of worldhoppers, the Ire, are from Sel. The Iriali country on Roshar is Iri, similar to Ire like they share a common root language with that group. 

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Elantris_(city)#Discovery

The Ire and Iri connection feels to forced. The Iriali maybe being the first people of the city Elantris, that's an interesting speculation. But using the Ire to support that doesn't work because 1)we know that the book Elantris is set before First Empire. 2) thus that means the Ire outpost is likely a construction after Elantris was reformed, not the predecessors

On 3/4/2022 at 8:48 PM, iceblade44 said:

The Ire and Iri connection feels to forced. The Iriali maybe being the first people of the city Elantris, that's an interesting speculation. But using the Ire to support that doesn't work because 1)we know that the book Elantris is set before First Empire. 2) thus that means the Ire outpost is likely a construction after Elantris was reformed, not the predecessors

Yeah, I'm not saying the Ire have any real connection to the Iriali just that they are both from Sel and share a common root language which is why their names are similar. They both came from the same planet at some point that's all

Edited by Child of Hodor

35 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

Yeah, I'm not saying the Ire have any real connection to the Iriali just that they are both from Sel and share a common root language which is why their names are similar. They both came from the same planet at some point that's all

Isn't them coming from Sel just speculation for now though? Or is that what your trying to say?

It does seem possible that Elantris was found abandoned by the Aonic people because the original Elantrians had moved to the Cognitive and become the Ire.

But the Ire are Elantrians (though with less glow due to being off Sel, I think) while the Iriali are normal humans. So I don't think they are directly related. I doubt the Iriali are from Sel.