Secret projects chat area.

Hey guys, I just read the sample chapters. srsly don't read the stuff in the spoiler if you have not read the sample chapters.

Spoiler

YEEE!! Iriali! Hoid! Sorceress! I wonder if the twelve moons have something to do with the magic system? Immediately I knew it was Hoid telling the story.

I think this is set three hundred years or so after the Iriali went to Roshar. remember Roshar and Scadrial had major things keeping them from evolving and gaining better tech. Though the point that the Iriali came a long time ago in Roshar's history. Though I theorize that the Iriali came during one of the last few desolations, but that is still a long time. hmm, this needs more thought.

17 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

It has to be somebody to whom machines spitting out smog, cannons and elephant seals make sense. That means Scadrial.

It means probably someone with knowledge of Scadrial. He's probably told Jasnah a good amount about the other planets, at least enough that she'd be able to understand that. My third place guess is Harmony, and fourth is the kandra on Roshar, both of which would have knowledge of Scadrial enough to make this tale make sense. 
Of course, assuming this falls after Oathbringer, they could have absolutely no knowledge of any of that and he could be providing Lightweavings for context. 

There us still much of the tech level we need to know first of the Tress before coming to a conclusion. Though if the plot does involve pirates, maybe we can hedge are bets to 17th centuryish or so. Definitely excited to find out how much swashbuckling adventure then will do.

The first chapters were excellent. I loved all of the cosmere references.

AoN spoiler

Spoiler

I didn't even pick up on the verdant thing until the second time I listened to it. I think I must be pronouncing verdant wrong in my head because the way Brandon said it, just didn't register with me. Now, I am totally convinced that this is an Aether planet.

On 3/3/2022 at 9:57 AM, #1 Taln Fan said:

I wonder what happened to the old Iriali. What if this is set in the future, and the old Iriali were the ones on Roshar?

I think the term "Old Iriali" refers to the language written on the cup, not to any specific group of Iriali people. It's like we refer to "Old English" or "Old Irish" or "Old High German" here on our world.

10 hours ago, Johnny Silverlight said:

I think the term "Old Iriali" refers to the language written on the cup, not to any specific group of Iriali people. It's like we refer to "Old English" or "Old Irish" or "Old High German" here on our world.

How so? You are referring to Old English as Old English because there is a Modern English. You woudn't call Sumerian "Old Sumerian". Yet the Iriali have vanished. As far as those people are aware there is no modern Iriali language.

We have no idea how long the Iriali had lived on Tress's World before they disappeared. We do know that the Iriali have been on Roshar since the time before the Recreance (they were one of the Silver Kingdoms). The Recreance occurred at least 2,000 years before the events of the Stormlight Archive. To put this in perspective, Old English was spoken some 1,200-900 years ago. Apparently, the Iriali lived on Tress's World long enough for their language to evolve into a substantially different form. The term "Old Iriali" is probably used as a contrast to the version of the language the Iriali were speaking before they vanished. The people currently living on Tress's World would probably refer to the most recent version of the language as "Iriali" rather than "Modern Iriali."