Secret Project Sample Chapters: Yay or Nay?

I'm curious as to how many of you are planning to read/listen to the sample chapters for the Secret Project books and start theorizing, and how many are wanting to go in fresh when they're released next year? 

I am undecided and see merits to both. Please comment on your plan (Yay or Nay) and why!!

4 minutes ago, Robin Sedai said:

I didn't even know there were sample chapters lol. I won't be reading them, as it would just leave me wanting more, and already knowing what happens in the first few chapters might detract from my enjoyment of the whole book.

They'll be coming out on YouTube/print over the next few weeks

@Matrim's Dice and @Spren of Kindness seconded - I want to know (have you ever seen the rain / shinin' down on a sunny day) what the overall setting and plot for each is. Either way we'll be surprised when the book comes out and the twists (or the twist that there is no twist!) of the plot come out. These are new Cosmere planets and a new unrelated setting, and I'd like to know details.

I have to say I would be very curious, but I'll not read them. To me it takes longer than a chapter to get a feel for the story and the characters. So worst case would be I cannot get into it and might start off with a dislike for the book. And best case would be me really liking setting and characters and having to wait a year until I can read on. 

So no, I'm out. :unsure: (even though t'm really looking forward to the books, I'll love to have some new settings!)

I'll go with one chapter each. I want to know what they're about and what they will feel like narratively, but I also want to keep as much of the experience of reading them the first time as complete as possible.

I’m lucky enough to be surrounded by many Sanderson Fans who live in my community and I know if I decided to “stay in the dark” and be surprised that somehow something would slip and I would hear it anyway in casual conversation. So I might as well get it directly from the source. 

It would be lovely to be completely surprised by the books though. If they had a “book club” option where 12 books were shipped together and my neighbors and I all received them at the same time that would be awesome. But I’m pretty sure with the volume of books they will need to ship that we will be receiving them over the course of the entire month so we are not really going to receive them at the same time anyway. Which is a bummer because if mine come first I’m sure my kids will steel them from me. The sacrifices a mother makes for her children. 

16 minutes ago, JoyBlu said:

I’m lucky enough to be surrounded by many Sanderson Fans who live in my community and I know if I decided to “stay in the dark” and be surprised that somehow something would slip and I would hear it anyway in casual conversation. So I might as well get it directly from the source. 

It would be lovely to be completely surprised by the books though. If they had a “book club” option where 12 books were shipped together and my neighbors and I all received them at the same time that would be awesome. But I’m pretty sure with the volume of books they will need to ship that we will be receiving them over the course of the entire month so we are not really going to receive them at the same time anyway. Which is a bummer because if mine come first I’m sure my kids will steel them from me. The sacrifices a mother makes for her children. 

The solution to the last problem would be to go all in and get the books, the ebooks and the audiobooks together. Even if your kids snag the hardcovers you could read the ebooks or listen to the audioversion. :D

Anyway, I'm a little jealous. I would love to fund the hardcovers and the boxes but with shipping being what it is, I'll stick to the ebooks only. I just cannot afford 900$ plus taxes. :wacko:

Definitely reading. I'd love to have the self-control to not read them, but that only works for series by Brandon that I already know I'll enjoy and he's already done some readings of. 

For example, I wont' be reading any pre-release chapters for The Lost Metal, and I never read the pre-release chapters for Stormlight books. (Outside of what Brandon reads at conventions.) 

But since I don't know these books and I want to learn more about them, I'll be reading the stuff. 

I'd be too afraid to if I wasn't fully caught up on Cosmere as I wouldn't want to happen upon Cosmere spoilers or references I don't understand yet, but I'm caught up so that's a huge YAY for me! Waiting until 2023 to finish the read won't be fun, but need new daydream material.

Edited by StarrFall

2 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

Well I said I wouldn't and my willpower lasted for about 10 minutes after finding out the update was posted... I am just too curious about these to not take a peek under the kimono... 

Yes after reading the description I might end up just reading the chapters after all haha. Then I can enjoy all the RAFOs on the live streams too haha (so much for willpower) :P