• Aluminum
    • Duralumin
    • Chromium
    • Nicrosil
    • Tin
    • Pewter
    • Cadmium
    • Cerrobend

Pewter is the most rounded, and Tin is pretty nice if you groove on perception more than capability.  

Bendalloy also has a lot of appeal. 

Soothing and Rioting only appeal to me with the pair, but Im not sure I could choose between the two.

Most of the spiritual ones are kinda useless without a population of mistings or mistborn around (or some other magic around) so they're useless to me in a sense of person and/or augmentation What if, and the same goes for Copper/Bronze.

I picked copper because I wouldn't want to be emotionally manipulated and I would want to use my allomancy to have a great job. I think the jobs I could get as a coppercloud are more interesting. A coppercloud detective would be fun or maybe a straight mercenary covering illegal allomancy. Pewter was a close second but copper beat it out because I wouldn't want to spend my life in fist fights. 

6 hours ago, DougTheRug said:

I picked copper because I wouldn't want to be emotionally manipulated and I would want to use my allomancy to have a great job. I think the jobs I could get as a coppercloud are more interesting. A coppercloud detective would be fun or maybe a straight mercenary covering illegal allomancy. Pewter was a close second but copper beat it out because I wouldn't want to spend my life in fist fights. 

Are we talking in-world or “IRL” in context?

And, it’s possible you wouldn’t mind “spending your life in fistfights” if you were a Pewterarm. LOL

I think A-electrum is underrated. As originally described in Era 1, they discovered it very late (knowledge of it it was held back by TLR), and mainly used by Mistborn like Vin or Elend as “poor man’s atium” to confuse Inquisitors armed with atium by projecting shadows - it wouldn’t allow them to see the Inquisitor’s atium shadows, were they not burning it, but seeing the results of their own actions a bit into the future allowed them to change things enough to spring out shadows of their own.

But by extension, any electrum burner could have atium-like expertise, as long as it was something they could do already and only needed to winnow down on what NOT to do, in order to do more effectively.

For example, a baseball hitter would never strike out swinging if he could burn electrum - he could see into his own future by a second or two, and avoid swinging over a curveball, late on a fastball, etc., - making anybody a reasonable hitter, and making an actually elite hitter unstoppable.

And you would clean up on something like Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? where it’s a series of quickly scored multiple choice questions.

Constantly burning electrum on a low burn should result in a kind of “spidey-sense” for impending threats or danger, too.

We haven’t seen any electrum or nicrosil Mistings yet in Era 2, both of them should be quite powerful in a world without Mistborn.

EDIT: I see there is a WoB addressing exactly this, except using tennis as a context instead of baseball!

Questioner

How does electrum work?

Brandon Sanderson

Electrum can see future shadows only as far in the future as is done with atium in the books. They use it to counter atium in that they see their own future shadow fighting, and if they see their shadow get hit by an attack, they know to avoid that attack, and they change their own future. This compounds the future shadows they see, which makes it practically as effective at countering atium as atium itself.

While the scope of an electrum shadow is very limited, it could be useful in many situations. Like if you were playing tennis, you’d be able to look at your shadow and tell if you managed to hit the ball or not, and adjust accordingly. That would still take a lot of practice to master, but it could be very effective.

Miscellaneous 2016 (July 15, 2016)

Edited by robardin

19 hours ago, KaladinWorldsinger said:

Why would people pick aluminium?? I am confused

In Cosmere is good for Worldhopper, removes all inwanted Investiture from body, and this makes user immune for every Investiture-based attacks (like Lashing, Soulcasting, AonDor etc)

22 hours ago, DougTheRug said:

There are jobs that don't involve fighting that pewter would be great for. Basically any job that involves any kind of physical activity would be helped by pewter. And it would probably extend your life.

Presuming the following two things:

1. I'm burning this IRL

2. I'm the only person IRL who is a misting

I'd pick brass. Not only is it super useful to have access to any kind of mind control in so many situations (even this weak of mind control) but nobody would see it coming or guard against it, or know that I'm the one doing it.

Let me just put it this way: if burning brass and zinc wasn't that useful for manipulating people, Elendel wouldn't have had to pass a law banning it. And it would be even more effective IRL as people would just assume they're having an off day and suspect nothing.

Edited by CryoZenith

I picked pewter, but it depends whether this is applied to my RL life or in Era 2 Scadrial.

Applied to my RL life: pewter (for the health benefits, and things like ignoring hot/cold temperatures and endurance, not for fighting). Zinc or brass might be even more useful, but I find them ethically iffy and anyway I'm not socially perceptive enough to make good use of either.

In Era 2 Scadrial with lots of other Allomancers around: nicrosil (easy to make friends with other Allomancers) or copper (protection from Soothing/Rioting as well as the coppercloud effect)

I chose to ignore monetary cost and assume that it is just the "best metal to burn". I picked Cerrobend or bendalloy because being able to spend more time doing something that you want to be doing, or finishing something important, or getting your thoughts organized before an important meeting.