Quick Fix 59: Bachelor--Roshar edition!

Lotus

Note that I ship Adolin with Shallan and no one else :D.

Therefore, Lucy the undercover kandra is here in hopes to give Adolin a dog instead of a marriage partner

Will be afk for an hour, but I’m here

I'm going to test something!

I have placed a secret stab vote in my PM, which may or may not be on Devotary. The vote will not be removed until adequate analysis and/or RP has been made, convincing me that you should continue on to the next round!

Until then... I'm in class so things should arrive in a bit.

You know what’s infuriating when you’re an elim? Randomness. Or at least, having a poor idea of how much danger you’re actually in. I suggest that everyone explicitly keep their suspicions broad and their trust lists private today so the elims can’t rely on a village-led mix to get them through to the next round.

For accountability’s sake, I expect everyone to have some reason to share tomorrow to back up their vote, but if you’re split between two or three equally suspicious options, why not list them all and tell the thread you’ll flip a coin to decide where you land? If everyone applies legitimate pressure to a number of suspects, the overlap should catch the elims somewhere and force action on their part.

Thoughts?

Also, everyone should go cast a placeholder vote now on a truly random person, in case you forget to vote later. I’ll be placing mine on either Kas, Mat, or TUA.

Nid arrived at the Bachelor address, dressed in a dress and depressed. “I’m here, your guest, I guess.”

They twirled their tassels half heartedly. “I’m Nid. I have a personality, but I’m saving it for after the ogling episodes. Anyone want to flirt to make Addy jealous?”

They caught sight of Albert and let out a low whistle. “Well well, aren’t you a tall glass of water.”

2 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

Salana walked forward and said brightly, "hello bright lord Adolin! I am Salana! pleasure to meet you!"

Are you a lizard keeper, because you've got Salana manners

Just now, Ashbringer said:

I have placed a secret stab vote in my PM, which may or may not be on Devotary

TFW the game doesn't require red text so playing on mobile is way easier :D.

42 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Note that I ship Adolin with Shallan and no one else :D.

Therefore, Lucy the undercover kandra is here in hopes to give Adolin a dog instead of a marriage partner

Will be afk for an hour, but I’m here

I had a similar conversation with Kas before the game started, except Kaladin instead of Shallan :P Hence Awoman being here to pick up his fellow losers.

44 minutes ago, Experience said:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy? (yes I counted)

41 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

I'm going to test something!

I have placed a secret stab vote in my PM, which may or may not be on Devotary. The vote will not be removed until adequate analysis and/or RP has been made, convincing me that you should continue on to the next round!

Until then... I'm in class so things should arrive in a bit.

unknown.png

47 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Player list: 

Hide contents

1. Kasimir-- Keredin

2. Matrim's Dice--Lucy

3. The Unknown Aon--Floradel

4. Devotary--Kelath

5. JNV--Aracha

6. Archer--Nid

7. Experience--Zara

8 .Stricker--Vanala

9. Ash--Tailia

10. Maillwi--Malila

11. Thaidakar the Ghostblood--Salana

12. Amanuensis--Awoman

13. Illwei--Albert

14. Bort--Bortington the Blind

14. Orlok

With Orlok being player number 15 (not 14) and this being a strictly roleless game, that means we're playing an MU Champs certified Mountainous Game folks. My favorite :D

Edited by Amanuensis

1 minute ago, Archer said:

Also, everyone should go cast a placeholder vote now on a truly random person, in case you forget to vote later. I’ll be placing mine on either Kas, Mat, or TUA.

Truly random, yes.

Maybe I should vote on someone truly random between Archer, Archer, and Archer? :P.

1 minute ago, Amanuensis said:

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Zara is sleeping

4 minutes ago, Archer said:

You know what’s infuriating when you’re an elim? Randomness. Or at least, having a poor idea of how much danger you’re actually in. I suggest that everyone explicitly keep their suspicions broad and their trust lists private today so the elims can’t rely on a village-led mix to get them through to the next round.

Archer. Why just today, if randomness is so good? Is there something that's lost by repeating the strategy in the next cycle?

4 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

With Orlok being 15 (not 14) and this being a strictly roleless game, that means we're playing an MU Championship Certified Mountainous Game folks. My favorite :D

What's Certified Mountainous, for those of us who are One Forum Guys? ;)

Hello there, Awoman ;) I like your style, handsome. It's too late to be my first love, but will you be my last love? <3 xoxoxo

I said I was going to have four characters in my next game as a player so here we are. Starting with two characters for now and the other two will show up later. I spent way too much time on them (and still didn't get them right) and not enough reading QF 52 which had this setup and a flawless elim victory. @Archer how has playing that game changed your opinion since last time when you said in that game's first post that the elims benefit more than the village from having their PM vote not match their public vote?

Spoiler

“What do you think they’ll have us do first?” asked Mehdan, fastening the top button of her bright purple havah.

“Brightlord Kholin will meet with all fifteen of you and pick an initial favorite, Brightness Kelath,” Temlin responded.

“So it’s not safe in our room for you to call me Mehdan. Do I still use your name?”

“Nobody will stop you from addressing me however you like, but I have to refer to you as Brightness Kelath in public from now on, so we both need to get used to it now.”

“If that’s what’s best for you, then very well. At least until I win and the protection of House Kholin will be at your disposal, or I lose and we leave this place behind. This would be so much easier if Adolin could marry you instead. If you could compete you’d be sure to win.”

Temlin quickly turned away, and walked towards the door, opening it and looking around to see no one in the hallways before coming back inside. “You can’t say things like that. We can’t be sure that nobody will be listening in.” “And I wouldn’t want to marry a lighteyes anyway.”

“Oh. Of course. Sor- no, you don’t want me to apologize either.” Leaning close to Temlin’s ear and lowering her voice to a whisper Mehdan continued, “What do I do if I need to read or write something? I know what all the letters look like and sound like now because you’re such an excellent teacher, but I still have to look at the letters one by one and I’m terrible at spelling and figuring out which collection of letters make which sounds.”

Also whispering, Temlin replied “Bring one of the spanreeds with you and I can help you with mine if you get a chance to hide it from the group.”

“Isn’t that a risk for you? And how’s your hand, does it still cramp when you write? Do you need me to massage it again?”

“It won’t be a risk if you’re careful and don’t let anyone see what you’re doing. I’ll be far away from any prying eyes, and writing with my left hand instead of my right, so you don’t need to worry about my safety or my comfort.

“Don’t suffer on my account. I’ll bring a spanreed if you want me to, but I won’t use it unless you’re sure you’ll be safe.” Standing up to her full height and holding her arms out to the sides, Mehdan commented, “I still don’t know about this havah. I feel like I’m wearing this because I’m supposed to and not for me.”

“I’m sure Brightlord Kholin would love to see you in your dueling attire, but you should save that for an individual date,” Temlin responded. “I promise you you’re still pretty wearing this. Spin for me?”

Mehdan spun in a circle laughing as she did so, falling a step closer to Temlin in the process. Temlin caught her by the shoulders and immediately stepped away. “No, not all the way around, I just need to see how it looks from the back.”

Mehdan turned around. “You’ve already seen how this looks on me, you helped me buy this.”

“I need to see it again since you’re wearing it for someone other than me this time. You’re very beautiful. Go meet your prospective husband.”

“I’ll see you this evening after the first event. I’ll make sure to win this for both of us, and for Kelathar.”

3 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

With Orlok being 15 (not 14) and this being a strictly roleless game, that means we're playing an MU Championship Certified Mountainous Game folks. My favorite :D

No, Borlock is one person now. :P. What's your distro guess? I was assuming 3:12 because hidden votes benefit the elims more than the village, but I could be convinced of 4:11 

Just now, Experience said:

Archer, Archer, and Archer

Netflix making recommendations of adult cartoons to watch be like ^

Does it actually benefit the village to keep who we are voting secret? Because it seems like some of our best information could be gained from people claiming to vote on someone and ending up not actually voting that player. Of course, I would probably do this at some point, but it could be useful.

Thoughts?

Just now, Experience said:

Does it actually benefit the village to keep who we are voting secret? Because it seems like some of our best information could be gained from people claiming to vote on someone and ending up not actually voting that player. Of course, I would probably do this at some point, but it could be useful.

Thoughts?

I think we need to strike a balance. The last time we played anon voting, eventually all the votes matched the thread, which basically makes the game a less quick Vanilla. So voting in secret can be useful... just need to figure out how. 

Same thing with random secret voting. It works to start because it's unpredictible, but it's unsustainable as a strategy because there's very little stopping Elims from also being random - we can try and figure out if they're "randomly" voting in a pool of villagers, or pool of elims, or pool of all of us, but I'd rather not try and solve a Three Gods problem variant in order to play a QF :P

23 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

What's Certified Mountainous, for those of us who are One Forum Guys? ;)

Hello there, Awoman ;) I like your style, handsome. It's too late to be my first love, but will you be my last love? <3 xoxoxo

Well certified isn't a proper term, but as for Mountainous...

unknown.png

Also, hallo Keredin :wub: Personally, I don't really believe in last loves. My hearts insatiable, you see. I'm always looking for the next one.

22 minutes ago, Archer said:

No, Borlock is one person now. :P. What's your distro guess? I was assuming 3:12 because hidden votes benefit the elims more than the village, but I could be convinced of 4:11 

3:12 is the standard (without hidden votes) but I don't think that feature is enough to push the game toward 4:11.

That said, I'm not a fan of distro guessing on D1 :P I'd rather focus on locating the first elim before I worry about how many partners they have.

ED1T:

22 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

@Archer how has playing that game changed your opinion since last time when you said in that game's first post that the elims benefit more than the village from having their PM vote not match their public vote?

I'm going to refrain from involving myself in this topic for a bit, but was Archer V or E in that game?

Edited by Amanuensis

12 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

I don't get it. what?

Devo got it. Thank you for posting so I can reply to all the ninjas

14 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

I said I was going to have four characters in my next game as a player so here we are. Starting with two characters for now and the other two will show up later. I spent way too much time on them (and still didn't get them right) and not enough reading QF 52 which had this setup and a flawless elim victory. @Archer how has playing that game changed your opinion since last time when you said in that game's first post that the elims benefit more than the village from having their PM vote not match their public vote?

Reveal hidden contents

“What do you think they’ll have us do first?” asked Mehdan, fastening the top button of her bright purple havah.

“Brightlord Kholin will meet with all fifteen of you and pick an initial favorite, Brightness Kelath,” Temlin responded.

“So it’s not safe in our room for you to call me Mehdan. Do I still use your name?”

“Nobody will stop you from addressing me however you like, but I have to refer to you as Brightness Kelath in public from now on, so we both need to get used to it now.”

“If that’s what’s best for you, then very well. At least until I win and the protection of House Kholin will be at your disposal, or I lose and we leave this place behind. This would be so much easier if Adolin could marry you instead. If you could compete you’d be sure to win.”

Temlin quickly turned away, and walked towards the door, opening it and looking around to see no one in the hallways before coming back inside. “You can’t say things like that. We can’t be sure that nobody will be listening in.” “And I wouldn’t want to marry a lighteyes anyway.”

“Oh. Of course. Sor- no, you don’t want me to apologize either.” Leaning close to Temlin’s ear and lowering her voice to a whisper Mehdan continued, “What do I do if I need to read or write something? I know what all the letters look like and sound like now because you’re such an excellent teacher, but I still have to look at the letters one by one and I’m terrible at spelling and figuring out which collection of letters make which sounds.”

Also whispering, Temlin replied “Bring one of the spanreeds with you and I can help you with mine if you get a chance to hide it from the group.”

“Isn’t that a risk for you? And how’s your hand, does it still cramp when you write? Do you need me to massage it again?”

“It won’t be a risk if you’re careful and don’t let anyone see what you’re doing. I’ll be far away from any prying eyes, and writing with my left hand instead of my right, so you don’t need to worry about my safety or my comfort.

“Don’t suffer on my account. I’ll bring a spanreed if you want me to, but I won’t use it unless you’re sure you’ll be safe.” Standing up to her full height and holding her arms out to the sides, Mehdan commented, “I still don’t know about this havah. I feel like I’m wearing this because I’m supposed to and not for me.”

“I’m sure Brightlord Kholin would love to see you in your dueling attire, but you should save that for an individual date,” Temlin responded. “I promise you you’re still pretty wearing this. Spin for me?”

Mehdan spun in a circle laughing as she did so, falling a step closer to Temlin in the process. Temlin caught her by the shoulders and immediately stepped away. “No, not all the way around, I just need to see how it looks from the back.”

Mehdan turned around. “You’ve already seen how this looks on me, you helped me buy this.”

“I need to see it again since you’re wearing it for someone other than me this time. You’re very beautiful. Go meet your prospective husband.”

“I’ll see you this evening after the first event. I’ll make sure to win this for both of us, and for Kelathar.”

don't listen to old Archer, that guy was inexperienced. And his reasoning that game needed work, even though he caught onto an elim eventually. I honestly think I'll confuse myself if I try to figure out why my thinking has shifted, so I'll just say that this round, this is how I'd like to play. 

14 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Archer. Why just today, if randomness is so good? Is there something that's lost by repeating the strategy in the next cycle?

Interesting question, very in your elim meta, which we all know now. >:)  It boils down to C1 is a shot in the dark while the other cycles aren't. I'm not expecting an elim flip today.

2 minutes ago, Experience said:

Thoughts?

Rude, that's my line :P.

32 minutes ago, Archer said:

You know what’s infuriating when you’re village? Not knowing anyone else’s stances, or not being able to adequately coordinate an exe.

As I’m rereading this I caught the ‘today’ (which I missed when initially replying) and you just posted with an explanation that I like so this isn’t as big of an issue for me anymore :P. I still would rather not because, sure, you can’t expect an elim flip today but why should that stop us from trying?

2 minutes ago, Archer said:

Interesting question, very in your elim meta, which we all know now. >:)  It boils down to C1 is a shot in the dark while the other cycles aren't. I'm not expecting an elim flip today.

I think what we want to avoid is when we go around C2 asking people why they voted for the Villager and get almost all responses of "it was just a random vote". Way too easy for Elims to hide that way. (Sort of what Mat said.)

I'm going random and secret to start, but it'll move if I have reason to trust the person, who may or may not be Devotary, that it's on.

Hmm... maybe an idea is for everyone to vote on two people in thread, and secretly pick one of the two to vote for real? 

11 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

I'm going to refrain from involving myself in this topic for a bit, but was Archer V or E in that game?

He was a villager. Some of the sentiments are the same but in that game he did support using colored votes. I didn't pay enough attention to know how whether that happened but clearly whatever the village was doing in that game didn't work.

32 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

With Orlok being player number 15 (not 14) and this being a strictly roleless game, that means we're playing an MU Champs Certified Mountainous Game folks

If the distro is balanced, that means we should be looking at an Elim team of three.

If it's not balanced, more than that :p. 

Wait- 15p, mountainous...Mountainous.... no one told me we were having a champs practice game :p. 

26 minutes ago, Archer said:

What's your distro guess? I was assuming 3:12 because hidden votes benefit the elims more than the village, but I could be convinced of 4:11 

Standard balanced distro for a completely vanilla 15p game is 12:3

Anything higher than that I'd be scared about considering that short cycles and hidden votes are elim-sided.

Anyways, I don't like keeping votes secret. Simply because it's very easy for elims to go wherever and push whoever over if we don't talk about it. 

Just now, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

He was a villager. Some of the sentiments are the same but in that game he did support using colored votes. I didn't pay enough attention to know how whether that happened but clearly whatever the village was doing in that game didn't work.

It worked to keep people's votes in line. That just turned it into an essentially Vanilla game. The thing is Elims weren't pressured enough to need to lie about their votes, and the village just never found one.