Why did it take so long for Miles HundredLives to die

Wayne's Unlucky Hat

I believe its specifically mentioned that after his death an autopsy couldn't find any hidden goldminds on his body. I'd need someone with access to the book to check, but I believe that we're supposed to find it really odd and disturbing that he could keep healing for a while even without his goldminds. Checking the WoBs, the best answer I could find is that he'd become some kind of feruchemical savant, and that's why he was somehow able to heal without metalminds. Which is weird to me, since in allomancy we see people get weaker when separated from their power source, which I'd think would apply to feruchemists as well, but apparently that might not be the case.

WoB in question:

Questioner

There are Allomantic savants, are there Feruchemical savants?

Brandon Sanderson

Much harder to do. My feeling on Feruchemical savants was because it was your own power in the first place, you can't steep in it so much in the way. But, if you can get someone else's power or if you are fueling your Feruchemy another way, you would become one. So, the Lord Ruler is a good example.

Questioner

Was Miles a...

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. Miles would be the same sort of thing.

Questioner

Is that why he didn't die as quickly in the execution?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

So yeah. Normally no but if you can Compound you become... basically that is how I am explaining part of the Compounding abilities. 

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

They didn't find any metalminds in his body after the autopsy. I think that's cause he burned what was left? Like, maybe he had swallowed one earlier and burnt it for compounding after he got shot to heal himself. But he ran out of metal and died.

Or he was an F-Gold savant and his body healed itself even without him doing anything, but only minorly. It kept him alive after a volley of shots, it didn't heal the wounds fully.

13 hours ago, cometaryorbit said:

Perhaps there were still left-over traces of Invested gold in his system from eating some for Compounding earlier, and he was able to burn it for a last bit of healing - getting extra effect out of a tiny amount due to being a Gold Compounding savant?

On 3/2/2022 at 4:53 PM, Wandering Shade said:

They didn't find any metalminds in his body after the autopsy. I think that's cause he burned what was left? Like, maybe he had swallowed one earlier and burnt it for compounding after he got shot to heal himself. But he ran out of metal and died.

Or he was an F-Gold savant and his body healed itself even without him doing anything, but only minorly. It kept him alive after a volley of shots, it didn't heal the wounds fully.

I, originally thought it was probably some gold in his stomach from compounding and he burned it away. This is the most logical idea... Part of me also likes to toy with the idea of him being a gold savant causes him to have gold seep into everywhere. I envision trace amounts of gold in his blood, kidneys and liver and it is a part of him, so it doesn't cause health detriments, but similar to how an endurance athlete starts drawing on energy from weird places at the end of a marathon, Miles starts drawing on gold from weird places during the end. It also happens to look really creepy.