Image Description of the new Secret Project book covers!

Here are some image descriptions of the new Secret Project covers for people who are unable to enjoy them visually! Please note some corrections in the comments!

Sanderson Secret Project cover mockup

Image shows four books side by side, each with the title at the top and Brandon Sanderson’s name at the bottom. Art was done by Steve Argyle, Howard Lyon, and Geoff Shupe. Brandon noted that these are mockups and not the final covers.

Title: Secret Project #1

The overall colour of this cover is green. A large, irregularly shaped rock juts up defiantly above the waves that crash around it. A large, bright moon dominates the sky, taking up half the image. There is a humanoid shape silhouetted against the moon, possibly two shapes. One is the shape of a slender person, likely a woman, with long hair whipping in the wind above her. Her outline shows off a bust and a thin waist with wider hips. Her silhouette is only visible from the hips up as she leans forward on top of the rock. One hand is reaching out in front of her, palm up, the other arm out to the side and palm down as if to steady herself. A second silhouette is difficult to read - it could be a very small head and shoulders behind her, although the head would be rather square and the shoulders rather round. It could be a trick of the rock’s silhouette, or some other thing. Something is being blown in the breeze, bubbles or dust. The bits are of various sizes, and they are dark in silhouette.

Title: Secret Project #2

The overall colour of this cover is purple. A person stands confidently on a sphere, possibly a globe. Bright light, like a transporter beam, is shining behind them, casting the figure and the sphere into silhouette so that only the shape of the form is visible. The person is wearing a pointed, wide-brimmed hat, and the tip of the point has been crushed into a frazzled curl. In one hand, the person holds a tool with a handhold, a barrel, and an extra piece below the barrel. The tool is being pointed upward. Its shape is reminiscent of a nerf gun or sci fi gun. In the other hand, the person holds a rectangular object, likely a large book. Behind the bright beam of light, the background is of a cluster of human-sized circles or spheres.

Title: Secret Project #3

The overall colour of this cover is black with pink and turquoise accents. The design is mostly abstract, with the background as paisley-like curls and curves. A tall, slim person wearing a long coat is falling, one hand reaching out protectively as if they may hit the ground. Their focus, however, is behind and upwards. They twist their body and reach out their other arm to shoot a burst of pink light from their hand. The light ends at a beautifully arched ball of lines, like a pile of lily petals, that seems to be absorbing the hit. The person’s straight, shoulder-length hair is swept aesthetically in the wind as the person falls.

Title: Secret Project #4

The overall colour of this cover is orange with yellow accents. Two clusters of buildings with lights underneath hover in the sky far away. The sky in the background radiates a series of circles originating in a yellow sun, the brightness of which casts the foreground in silhouette. In the foreground, a person stands in front of a cityscape. The person, likely a man, wears a form-fitting jacket and pants, showing off square shoulders and slim hips. The person holds a shining orange shape in his hand, vaguely round, about the size of a grapefruit. He holds it protectively against his collarbone and looks discreetly off to the side. His other hand, at his side, is held in a tight fist.

Edited by cosmere_play

23 minutes ago, cosmere_play said:

Here are some image descriptions of the new Secret Project covers for people who are unable to enjoy them visually!

Sanderson Secret Project cover mockup

Image shows four books side by side, each with the title at the top and Brandon Sanderson’s name at the bottom. Art was done by Steve Argyle, Howard Lyon, and Geoff Shupe. Brandon noted that these are mockups and not the final covers.

Title: Secret Project #1

The overall colour of this cover is green. A large, irregularly shaped rock juts up defiantly above the waves that crash around it. A large, bright moon dominates the sky, taking up half the image. There is a humanoid shape silhouetted against the moon, possibly two shapes. One is the shape of a slender person, likely a woman, with long hair whipping in the wind above her. Her outline shows off a bust and a thin waist with wider hips. Her silhouette is only visible from the hips up as she leans forward on top of the rock. One hand is reaching out in front of her, palm up, the other arm out to the side and palm down as if to steady herself. A second silhouette is difficult to read - it could be a very small head and shoulders behind her, although the head would be rather square and the shoulders rather round. It could be a trick of the rock’s silhouette, or some other thing. Something is being blown in the breeze, bubbles or dust. The bits are of various sizes, and they are dark in silhouette.

The woman is facing to the left of the cover. Right of her and somewhat lower on the rock a chalice or cup with a long stem is placed. To the left of her body her legs may be with her knees propped up, if she is wearing a skirt. She seems to be wearing some kind of pendant like enough to be lifted by the wind.
The moon itself is heavily createred with larger craters and no maria.

2 hours ago, cosmere_play said:

A second silhouette is difficult to read - it could be a very small head and shoulders behind her, although the head would be rather square and the shoulders rather round. It could be a trick of the rock’s silhouette, or some other thing.

I think that this is a chalice styled cup. 

Behind the bright beam of light, the background is of a cluster of human-sized circles or spheres.

They are all Earth

A person stands confidently on a sphere, possibly a globe

This is also Earth

They twist their body and reach out their other arm to shoot a burst of pink light from their hand

It isn't light, it's a woman who is also reaching for them. It gives off a star-crossed lovers vibe. 

The light ends at a beautifully arched ball of lines, like a pile of lily petals, that seems to be absorbing the hit.

This is the woman's  hair. 

Secret Project #4

There is also something that could either be clouds of spaceships in the sky

Edited by Ookla the Theoretical

3 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

The woman is facing to the left of the cover. Right of her and somewhat lower on the rock a chalice or cup with a long stem is placed. To the left of her body her legs may be with her knees propped up, if she is wearing a skirt. She seems to be wearing some kind of pendant like enough to be lifted by the wind.
The moon itself is heavily createred with larger craters and no maria.

Can I use this to update the description on ao3?

1 hour ago, Ookla the Theoretical said:

I think that this is a chalice styled cup. 

They are all Earth

This is also Earth

It isn't light, it's a woman who is also reaching for them. It gives off a star-crossed lovers vibe. 

This is the woman's  hair. 

There is also something that could either be clouds of spaceships in the sky

Can I use this to update the description on ao3?

13 hours ago, cosmere_play said:

Title: Secret Project #2

The overall colour of this cover is purple. A person stands confidently on a sphere, possibly a globe. Bright light, like a transporter beam, is shining behind them, casting the figure and the sphere into silhouette so that only the shape of the form is visible. The person is wearing a pointed, wide-brimmed hat, and the tip of the point has been crushed into a frazzled curl. In one hand, the person holds a tool with a handhold, a barrel, and an extra piece below the barrel. The tool is being pointed upward. Its shape is reminiscent of a nerf gun or sci fi gun. In the other hand, the person holds a rectangular object, likely a large book. Behind the bright beam of light, the background is of a cluster of human-sized circles or spheres.

The person is standing on on planet Earth. His or her lower legs are obscured by the curvature of the planet from a point a little below the knees, assuming we are talking about a human being. The person seems to be clothed in clothing approximately conforming to the human body, in particular in pants, not a dress or skirt.
He would be standing approximately on the North Pole.
The Earth is oriented so that the North Pole is quite exactly up. The right edge of the cover is positioned so that it cuts of the southern coast of the Caspian Sea. The left edge is somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean. The lower margin of the cover intersects the African west coast a bit north of Dakar. The person' s crotch is aligned so that a line drawn from it to the equator would pass between Berlin and Warsaw. The northern edge of the planet renders the North Cape and the Kola Peninsula invisible.
Brandon Sanderson's name is centered on the Mediterranean sea and obscures most major islands that should be there. Cyprus, however, is visible.

Under the hat in his face some bright spots suggestive of a face are visible. Taking this at face value, the person is facing us and has rotated his head to his personal left. The gun would be held in his right hand and a book in his left hand. the book is held with the back of his hand facing outwards and the spine of the book facing upwards.
The gun has a faintly visible trigger guard, but the trigger is not visible. It has no stock, though it projects by a few centimers beyond the grip. The "grenade launcher" slung below the barrel does not protrude beyond the muzzle of the barrel. A small bulge is to be found on the outward end of the barrel, looking like some advanced optics. No other devices for aiming are apparent. The gun itself appears to be a tiny bit longer than his lower arm and outstretched hand together, submachine gun size.

The globes in the background all depict the eastern hemisphere of the Earth though apparently not all from exactly the same vantage point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2022 at 1:54 PM, cosmere_play said:

Here are some image descriptions of the new Secret Project covers for people who are unable to enjoy them visually! Please note some corrections in the comments!

I've recently started using alt text in my engineering reports as I'm sending some far outside my team that I'm familiar and close with, so I want to be inclusive.  I assumed it would be a cake walk, but it's surprisingly tough haha, finding that fine line between being thorough and saying too much, being concise and succinct while your meaning is still clear.  I've always been fortunate enough to just assume that the picture IS the added context; boiling it down to the perfect bite is an art!

Huge props to you both for doing it, especially since each one of these silhouettes seems like quite a challenge!

6 hours ago, cosmere_play said:

Thanks@Oltux72! I've updated the ao3 description to add yours. It's much appreciated! If you're interested, there's lots more official art that needs descriptions... Truthwatcher_Vez and I are currently working on Shallan's Sketchbook, but of course there are other images besides hers.

If you're looking for an extra set of hands I'd be happy to help with this!  I've got a ton of experience with descriptive and impassive writing, at least as it relates to engineering haha.

2 hours ago, Anomander Rake said:

looking for an extra set of hands I'd be happy to help with this!  I've got a ton of experience with descriptive and impassive writing, at least as it relates to engineering haha.

Oh that would be great! Truthwatcher_Vez and I have been working on a project in ao3. Would you like to co-author a project with me, maybe some of the interior art from the Way of Kings that isn't from Shallan's Sketchbook? Navani's Notebook and Other Artwork might be a good place to start. The maps might be tough, at least they would be for me. Feel free to email me to coordinate more - cosmere.play at gmail dot com.