Brandon's announcement video tomorrow

Ixthos

11 minutes ago, Nesh said:

I think he'd be more likely to shelve non-Cosmere stuff than Cosmere.  He's said on multiple ocasions he wants to finish the Cosmere.

We can only hope. 

Seems like he's doing ok. Hope tomorrow's news will help him keep a healthy pace. 

14 minutes ago, Nesh said:

I think he'd be more likely to shelve non-Cosmere stuff than Cosmere.  He's said on multiple ocasions he wants to finish the Cosmere.

I'm pretty sure if he's cutting anything it'll start with the Rithmatist sequel, The Aztlanian, since it's been so long since movement there. 

4 hours ago, Ixthos said:

That sounds ominous. I hope Brandon and his family and friends are okay.

Ominous was what came to mind when I heard it as well. 

I wondered what was going on with him, he's been quieter than usual on Twitter and his site hadn't been updated for a while.  He sounds sick, tired or sad in the video, he says his health is OK in the follow up tweet. 

I imagine he's planning to offload, delay and cancel things. Hopefully nothing more serious than that. 

Edited by Child of Hodor

Since we can take illness off the table, my guess is he's going to stop touring and just do Dragonsteel Con as his event every year. Touring takes a lot out of him: interrupts writing, doesn't see family, traveling is exhausting, etc. Co-authorship of non-Cosmere stories is also likely. I don't think he would co-author Stormlight, Mistborn, or Dragonsteel. Those seem too personal. 

Edited by masaru

1 minute ago, masaru said:

I don't think he would co-author Stormlight, Mistborn, or Dragonsteel, though. Those seem too personal. 

Oh for sure. Mainline cosmere is almost for sure going to stick directly to him.

Since we can take illness off the table, my guess is he's going to stop touring and just do Dragonsteel Con as his event every year.

You know, I didn't even think about that option. Good call, that might be it.

Since we can take illness off the table, my guess is he's going to stop touring and just do Dragonsteel Con as his event every year. Touring takes a lot out of him: interrupts writing, doesn't see family, traveling is exhausting, etc. Co-authorship of non-Cosmere stories is also likely. I don't think he would co-author Stormlight, Mistborn, or Dragonsteel. Those seem too personal. 

Yeah, in the past he's mentioned touring getting to be a lot. I think it was around ROW he said something about how there are so many people at the signing he has to limit the number of people he talks to going forward. I wouldn't be surprised if after 2 years of minimal travel while still selling a lot of books he is not interested in doing much of it. 

45 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

or he could be asking someone else to write it. 

He and Peter have mentioned a couple of times looking for someone of the right ethnicity and history to help write it, so I think that one's already in "co-writing" territory in his mind. 

Now that we know it's not health related, my guesses are:

He's leaving Writing Excuses. He hasn't been on in months, if not a full year at this time, and he doesn't have the time anymore, so he may just be waving the white flag here. 

More collaborations, fewer side projects. He'll be handing off the Cytoverse completely to Janci and Darci, working with Dan on Apocalypse Guard, and leaving Reckoners to Steven Bohls. This is good news since these people can continue doing what they've been doing and can end with Brandon announcing a co-writer for The Atzlanian

No more teaching or touring. He has too much work to dedicate to doing that now, sadly. 

Stormlight 5 is being delayed because a Mistborn movie is coming possibly in late 2023 or 2024. The producers/director/team behind it and his own publishers want a Mistborn book out by that time, and Brandon still wants to write all three back-to-back. He also wants a larger part in the script and just more control overall. That means once he's finished TLM, he'll go straight into MB Era 3 stuff, and while revising Defiant and looking over the scripts and pre-production stuff. On the bright side, that might mean there's a year where we'll get both a Mistborn Era 3 book and a Stormlight book!

All of the above. His workplace is becoming unwieldy and stressful, so he took a break from teaching and is now dropping it altogether. Then the movie news came in, and Brandon has been struggling with how to approach it. Thus Brandon is "jettisoning" some other responsibilities in order to streamline his workflow...but that still leaves the behemoth that is Stormlight 5. What does Brandon do? Does he acknowledge that he can write Stormlight now and not have a Mistborn book ready for the movie, or can he delay Stormlight for a couple of years and get Mistborn Era 3 up and running now, and then write Stormlight 5? But what happens to his 5-year Stormlight hiatus then? Does he just ignore it, and restructure the series to be one, long-form series? (Not unlike ASoIaF where GRRM planned a 3-6 year time-skip but ended up changing his plans, and that's part of what contributed to the delay in books.) Or does he write Book 5 after years away from it, then take another break to write Elantris 2, Elantris 3, & Nightblood, and then come back to it? Or does he jettison those books too? ...or maybe he finds someone else to help co-write them?

I was telling and watching the video with my friend and his siblings today and we are all scarped and promised each other we would each ty and watch the video tomorrow, this is going to be crazy and I honestly hope that what @Use the Falchion said isn't true, or atleast isn't mostly true because I wants me stormlight five.

The idea that a movie ramping up is going to interfere with novels is a good one, but I don't think he would delay Stormlight 5. It may be more of a "Mistborn is happening (yay!) but I need to be ready to devote time to it later this year, so Stormlight 5 will be my last novel for a little while. This is my big chance to get my stuff adapted and I can't pass it up."

Edit: rereading his reddit message, though, I do think it's either "no touring" or "offloading a lot of projects to co-authors."

Edited by masaru

I was genuinely worried for a moment there, but then he said he wrote a novel and I'm like

"oh no what did you- wait what??"

bruhhh

EDIT: I'm watching it and typing. He just said he wrote another one.

My dude.

EDIT 2: 5 NOVELS?!?!?!? BRANDON GO ON A VACATION I SWEAR BRO

EDIT 3: DUDE A KICKSTARTER LETS GOOOOOOO

Edited by Doomslug The Destroyer