Brandon's announcement video tomorrow

Ixthos

2 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:

A couple of things.

Yay, four new Sanderson Novels! He's crazy. And he has a surprising amount of insane fans. I'll bet that it ends somewhere near 50 mil. dollars... If I was ever willing to bet.

Must admit, I didn't see it coming. Some people are going to hate him for that.

Don't give him ideas...

But I just think of all the things I'm used to people collecting money for, and... Well... Sorry if it offends someone, but I find it a bit sad that the regular stuff struggle to get 10,000 and Brandon gets to 15 mil. in a day. 

There's a Scalzi blog that kinda touches on that. 

But basically, Brandon has been working hard building his brand and establishing the infrastructure and trust needed to do what is going on now. 

There is certainly luck involved, some of it morbid (i.e. what if Wheel of Time was finished by Robert Jordan) but my point is,  he didn't just start a Kickstarter and raised 15 million in a day.

16 minutes ago, ConfusedCow said:

The next secret announcement:

Brandon is writing a new book! On paper! Readers can buy it in 'bookstores'.  It will come out next year and pick up where his last book ended.  Swag will be provided for all pirates.  Boxes sold seperately. 

oh no.

Someone on Reddit in a now deleted thread posited the idea of Brandon Kickstarting his own television show. I'm not sure that would work for live action, but I think it'd be fun to see an animated original story if at all possible. Yet even the face of Brandon's record-breaking success, I'm not entirely sure that he could draw enough funds for a project like that...depending on the goal, of course. This project worked so well for a plethora of reasons, not all of which could be repeated if Brandon went "hey, I want to make a show!" Maybe he can try after the WoR Kickstarter and Mistborn 8 come out. 

Anyways, what are y'all's thoughts on this? Could Brandon successfully create a Kickstarter for a smaller project, be it animated or live action?

Or maybe as a fun project, we can all brain-storm future Sanderson Kickstarters that would be just as fun to at least the one who brainstormed them? ...although, the more I think about it, the more these two ideas combine in my mind. 

I can see it now - after seeing adaptation after adaptation fall through, Brandon decides to take his new adaptation idea straight to the masses with a Kickstarter! But he wants it to be a fresh idea, and he needs help! So, he goes to Brian McClellan and Janci Patterson, and pitches them the idea of a new shared universe between the three of them. Brandon builds the world and the story that will be adapted, Brian comes up with some prelude historic battles and stories, and Janci helps co-write some of Brandon's immediate history stories. Then the Kickstarter comes out, primarily for the show, but promising deluxe versions of the book signed by all three authors (?) if a certain stretch goal is reached, alongside a new original novella in the world by Brandon. And maybe even an RPG game. I call it Dark One 2.0

...and now I've convinced myself that I want this...

(Of course, the above idea would be a short-term series for Brandon and Co, just a fun project that helps expand the world of the adaptation idea they have but doesn't need to keep it going past the adaptation itself. Brandon has other stories he needs and wants to tell, after all.)

Edited by Use the Falchion

6 hours ago, Elegy said:

The madlad did it in only 3 days!

https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/most-funded

Now everyone who looks for the most successful Kickstarters will be greeted by the sneaky, angular, punchable face of our very favorite worldhopping storyteller Hoid.

Oddly enough I find the kickstarter results almost as interesting as the secret books haha. I am fascinated in this concept and at first thought man this is going to ruffle some feathers in the publishing world but John Scalzi's blog post really put it in perspective on how few authors could accomplish this.  Really an amazing accomplishment.  

8 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Oddly enough I find the kickstarter results almost as interesting as the secret books haha. I am fascinated in this concept and at first thought man this is going to ruffle some feathers in the publishing world but John Scalzi's blog post really put it in perspective on how few authors could accomplish this.  Really an amazing accomplishment.  

Perhapse not to the degree Sanderson did, but I feel this will definatly make changes in publishing.

10 hours ago, Serack said:

They reported on it rather early.  Also, considering the NYT best selling list, they have a particular interest on publishing news which this is.  

True, but I'm still impressed.

I don't understand what you mean by "They reported on it rather early." Could you explain?