14 hours ago, Kasimir said:

You might mean MR7 as well. I think they put in a request for that to happen in my game as well so I Made It Happen, which is why Wilson returned in QF40 for revenge :P 

No yeah, that was MR7. I hadn't checked that one, and had misfiled it in my head.

Nearly had to pull out due to other commitments. If, as it looks like, the will of the majority is for 1PM Saturday, please expect extra kasyana on top of existing kasyana, and low analysis, and probably at points, incoherent swearing.

...I think I can still do this if I rejuggle my sleep schedule since I was initially supposed to report at 5AM but this is uh. I should note that 1PM EST is 2AM for me and this is expected to go on for several cycles so uh :eyes:

So yes, as it stands it looks like we’ll be going on Saturday at 1pm eastern. We only have 8 players, which is definitely lower than I’d prefer, but if I delayed it’d have to be by two weeks and I’d much rather just run it now. 

1 minute ago, Elbereth said:

So yes, as it stands it looks like we’ll be going on Saturday at 1pm eastern. We only have 8 players, which is definitely lower than I’d prefer, but if I delayed it’d have to be by two weeks and I’d much rather just run it now. 

Am I included in those 8 players? Because I can do Saturday.

I would like to sign up as Len, using my own name for once just to keep things nice and tidy.

(Yes, I know it's been a while. Grad school does that to you. But for one day, I can make some more time for SE, after how many good memories it's brought me.)

Hey, I'd like to join the game too. (I am no one's wife :unsure:) Sign me up as Single!

Spoiler

Today is Dad's 50th birthday so I will be posting only from my phone and my activity may be sporadic; will do my best.

Edited by Amanuensis

Hey everyone! A few quick things before the game starts. First, please remember these notes about the Break Tank format:

• Don’t go into it with the same expectations as in a normal game. In particular, the game might be horribly broken, it might start or stop in the middle, and the end may not be satisfying at all. Try to have fun anyway, but don’t get your hopes too high about winning. 
  • Try to interact with the rules; that’s what the GM is testing. Spell out your thoughts if you have them, in your GM PM if not in thread.
  • Feel free to banter and have fun, but keep anything not game-relevant in spoilers if at all possible - we want it to be as easy as possible for people to catch up on the thread, and not everyone has as much time as you might. (Doc banter can also be in a separate section, if need be.)

PMs will be going out in the ~15 minutes prior to game start. Anyone still hesitating has until then to sign up.

Also, the IM for this game is @Devotary of Spontaneity. All PMs will include her. Remember that this is a PM-limited game - you should not be making any PMs; I will make them when necessary at the start of the turn. Also, as I expect this game to be hectic, please put a note in your GM PM if you see any potential problems arising - we will try to keep tabs on everything, but we're only human.

Please also note that there was one inconsistency in the rules, which has been fixed now: once you receive an item, you do not have to use it immediately. You can use it on any future turn at your leisure (although you only have one action per turn, so you can't use more than one at once). If you have any questions or clarifications about the rules, I'd love if you could find those now if possible so I don't have to do them during the game itself as much :P

The current player list is, by my count:

1. @Ashbringer
  2. @Matrim's Dice
  3. @xinoehp512
  4. @Araris Valerian
  5. @Kasimir
  6. @_Stick_
  7. @Thaidakar the Ghostblood
  8. @StrikerEZ
  9. @Elenion
  10. @Flamingo
  11. @Amanuensis

The game will start in a little over three hours!

Honestly I just woke up, it's 1.30AM, and I'm fighting off the sedative effect of heavy painkillers. I guess if there's ever a game to Just Do It, it's this one :P

Fair warning!

Edited by Kasimir
justification

Just now, Ashbringer said:

It’s 9:50 AM on a Saturday… I am usually very unconsious but I don’t really have an excuse :P

I got up at 7 because I couldn’t remember if it started at 1pm EST or 10am EST :P.

Cycle 1: The First Stories

Today’s Items

Ubertin Spike
Ability: PM
Description: A long, thin silvery spike made entirely of tin. Faintly glowing and cold to the touch.
History: LG2 was SE’s first conversion game, in which a single player started as Inquisitor with a bunch of spikes and could use each to convert another player. Each spike had a power, and what those powers did was a secret. One of them was Ubertin, which allowed the elims to spy on literally every PM in the game. That quickly became the bane of Meta’s existence (copy-pasting hundreds of PMs is not pleasant, I can confirm), and the players not knowing it was a possibility was generally agreed in retrospect to have been decidedly not great.

Slaughter
Ability: Bid Down
Description:
History: MR1 involved a Nightwatcher mechanic in which you could ask for aid and be given a boon and a bane. When Gamma asked for the ability to ‘Kill with Laughter’, he received (S)laughter, an Awakened sword which he could use to kill, but part of his bane was that every sentence he wrote for the remainder of the game (in post, PM, or doc) had to start with S, which literally no one noticed.

Cuddles
Ability: Roleblock
Description: A black, Awakened sword with a friendly air.
History: This sword was created by the evil team in LG4 and dubbed Cuddles at the time. Wilson (an elim) ended up giving it to Gamma (a villager), who quasi-betrayed the village win con (although the village still won by a big margin). It reappeared in MR16 as one of the items in the lottery, where it passed to Elenion. He then gave it to Wilson after the game, and she still holds it (and is very protective of it).

Lost Spanreed
Ability: PM
Description: A spanreed with cracks running down the stem, which appears to have been glued back together.
History: In LG5, the village was sure that the elim team would’ve been given a spanreed (which, just as in this game, was a PM item). And they were right! But the elims came up with the clever idea to pass their spanreed to someone who already had one, which according to the rules of that game would silently destroy it. And the village killed all the other initial spanreed holders, and gave the evil team a very nice set of missed exes and kills.

Mashadar pandamodium
Ability: Bid Up
Description: An evil-looking stuffed toy panda sprinkled in blood and emanating an intense air of malice. Picture is spoilered below - fair warning, it is very gory.
History: one of the more storied items of SE history. It started in LG6, where Jain (a player known for playing every or almost every game as some kind of panda) gave his stuffed panda that game to Kas, who was Padan Fain. In the game, this ended up flavored as the panda being stuffed full of Mashadar evilness. It was then later imbued with Odium in LG10, and has ever since been a thoroughly creepy and evil object passed through various hands.

Spoiler

panda.JPG.c365321adb2a40d63f3eee4eae177296.JPG

Reckoner’s jacket
Ability: Protect
Description: A translucent jacket, nearly insubstantial to the touch and invisible once put on.
History: In LG9, Maill (one of the eliminators) completely fabricated a claim of the “Reckoner’s Jacket” which did not in fact exist in the game. He later gifted the jacket to Wilson (who had been one of his teammates that game) as a goodbye gift before his mission. Since then, it’s come to symbolize being audacious, leaving restraint behind, and insane gambiry.

Player List

1. @Ashbringer
  2. @Matrim's Dice
  3. @xinoehp512
  4. @Araris Valerian
  5. @Kasimir
  6. @_Stick_
  7. @Thaidakar the Ghostblood
  8. @StrikerEZ
  9. @Elenion
  10. @Flamingo
  11. @Amanuensis
  12. @Experience

Cycle 1 has begun and will end at 2:00pm Eastern time. If you want a link to spectate, please let me know. All PMs should have been sent out.

Other announcements:

I posted this in the signups thread, but I'm putting it here too.

• Don’t go into it with the same expectations as in a normal game. In particular, the game might be horribly broken, it might start or stop in the middle, and the end may not be satisfying at all. Try to have fun anyway, but don’t get your hopes too high about winning. 
  • Try to interact with the rules; that’s what the GM is testing. Spell out your thoughts if you have them, in your GM PM if not in thread.
  • Feel free to banter and have fun, but keep anything not game-relevant in spoilers if at all possible - we want it to be as easy as possible for people to catch up on the thread, and not everyone has as much time as you might. (Doc banter can also be in a separate section, if need be.)

Also, the IM for this game is @Devotary of Spontaneity. All PMs will include her. Remember that this is a PM-limited game - you should not be making any PMs; I will make them when necessary at the start of the turn. Also, as I expect this game to be hectic, please put a note in your GM PM if you see any potential problems arising - we will try to keep tabs on everything, but we're only human.

In addition, here is a public vote count sheet, which I will be keeping up to date as much as possible. It’s there both for your reference, and to make sure that if I get anything wrong, you can know and correct me before I actually put up the next cycle with the wrong person dead. 

And a few extra clarifications (which will also be edited into the OP rules in just a moment):

• I never gave the village and elim team names, so they are just Villagers and Eliminators. (So a villager will receive “You are a Villager” and an elim will receive “You are an Eliminator” plus a doc link.) 
  • Elim kills will be distinguished from ones done with an item. 
  • If Wilson is attacked but protected, the thread will show “Wilson was attacked by [X], but didn’t die!” where X is elim vs item kills.
  • You might not be told in your GM PM if your bid failed, or if your action went through as normal. You will be told if you win an item, if you’re roleblocked, or if your bid was changed up or down. 

Edited by Elbereth