HELP

Elf

I...am out of books to read. 

I am reading The Ember Quartet by Sabaa Tahir right now. After that... I don't know what I'll read. 

Reccs pls besties!! 

For context, I like fantasy (preferably dark) and ya romance (but not with normal characters. They've got to be greek legends or wizards or something.) For fantasy I will read just about any age range. 

These are my favorite books- The Cosmere by Brandon Sanderson, The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater,  Six of Crows Duology by Leigh Bardugo, The Ember Quartet by Sabaa Tahir, The Simon Snow series by Rainbow Rowell, the Nevernight trilogy by Jay Kristoff, The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb, The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller, The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. 

Please help me i will die without books

Edited by Elf

The Mortal Instruments, by Cassandra Clare. It was my favourite series for a while. Now I have a few issues with it, but they're very minor and just my personal pet peeves. It has excellent characters - as you get further in the series, each character develops their own motivation, relationships, character arcs, and even more personality.

And don't be fooled by the first book's bad cover. (Seriously, that book's cover is awful. I remember having this extremely awkward with my mother about why I was reading a book with a half-naked tattooed guy featured prominently on the cover. The book isn't even that explicit!)

Sorry, got sidetracked there :P Anyway, digression aside, its companion trilogy, the Infernal Devices, is also very good. I really think you'd enjoy this series! (And I didn't mean to write an entire essay about it, I promise...)

The Thief series, by Megan Whalen Turner is honestly one of the most perfect fantasy series I have ever read. The first book was already awesome, but the entire thing's character development! And the plots! And the characters themselves! Just... I don't have the words to describe it, it's that amazing. (I'm not sure you'd like this one as much though, as at the beginning it doesn't really fit with the books on your list.)

Edited by Robin Hatter
digressing

1 hour ago, Robin Hatter said:

The Mortal Instruments, by Cassandra Clare. It was my favourite series for a while. Now I have a few issues with it, but they're very minor and just my personal pet peeves. It has excellent characters - as you get further in the series, each character develops their own motivation, relationships, character arcs, and even more personality.

And don't be fooled by the first book's bad cover. (Seriously, that book's cover is awful. I remember having this extremely awkward with my mother about why I was reading a book with a half-naked tattooed guy featured prominently on the cover. The book isn't even that explicit!)

Sorry, got sidetracked there :P Anyway, digression aside, its companion trilogy, the Infernal Devices, is also very good. I really think you'd enjoy this series! (And I didn't mean to write an entire essay about it, I promise...)

The Thief series, by Megan Whalen Turner is honestly one of the most perfect fantasy series I have ever read. The first book was already awesome, but the entire thing's character development! And the plots! And the characters themselves! Just... I don't have the words to describe it, it's that amazing. (I'm not sure you'd like this one as much though, as at the beginning it doesn't really fit with the books on your list.)

Oh thank you for this! I have tried Cassandra Clare's books, and unfortuantely they weren't for me. 

But I will definitely read The Thief! Maybe I will end up loving it. I didn't think I'd like Mistborn but now look where we are ^_^. So I guess it never hurts to try something :D

Edited by Elf

Oh, now I feel so embarrassed lol :lol: True, her books aren't for everyone.

How about Poppy War, The Priory of the Orange Tree, Arc of a Scythe, or A Darker Shade of Magic? I'd recommend the last one in particular. Disclaimer: I haven't read the first two, though they're on my TBR list.

Edited by Robin Hatter
adding books

12 minutes ago, Robin Hatter said:

Oh, now I feel so embarrassed lol :lol: True, her books aren't for everyone.

How about Poppy War, The Priory of the Orange Tree Arc of a Scythe, or A Darker Shade of Magic? I'd recommend the last one in particular. Disclaimer: I haven't read the first two, though they're on my TBR list.

The Poppy War is on my list as well, though I'm holding off on reading it till I'm older. Like atleast till I'm 18.  Its very very dark and gruesome and I don't think my heart could handle that much gore at the tender age of 15. Just search up the trigger warnings for it and you'll see what I am talking about. 

Tried The Priory of the Orange Tree, but it was not for me. And Arc of the Scythe is actually what I decided that I would read next after scouring the internet for reccs. :D (Though I still need to build up a good enough TBR list. If i have less then 100 books on it i start feeling anxious.)

And again, I have tried A darker Shade of Magic and i didn't like it. Thank you for the reccs, though  :D

Edited by Elf

12 minutes ago, Elf said:

The Poppy War is on my list as well, though I'm holding off on reading it till I'm older. Like atleast till I'm 18.  Its very very dark and gruesome and I don't think my heart could handle that much gore at the tender age of 15. Just search up the trigger warnings for it and you'll see what I am talking about. 

*winces* Whoa, yeah I see what you mean. I think I'll hold off reading that one too. Thanks for the warning, I don't think reading that would have been good in my present state of mental health.

29 minutes ago, Robin Hatter said:

*winces* Whoa, yeah I see what you mean. I think I'll hold off reading that one too. Thanks for the warning, I don't think reading that would have been good in my present state of mental health.

No problem :)

I'll give you a piece of advice. Whenever you see a book that you want to read which has been labelled as "dark" or "grimdark", search up the trigger warnings for it. More often then not, the internet will have trigger warnings. That's what I do to make sure I'm not getting myself into something that I can't handle. :)

Throne of Glass is pretty good. I have the same issues with it that I do with Moral Instruments, just a warning. (I've been considering just not finishing it for a while but I'm so close to the end of the last book) I keep skipping parts. The plot is really good... 

Scythe is very good. I don't know if that's the same thing as Arc of a Scythe tho.

I see you already decided to read it but seconding Arc of a Scythe.

I don't think Wheel of Time is all that dark, not compared to other books. Robert Jordan is very good at glossing over violence and imo it's Sanderson level. But also recommended! It'll keep you busy for awhile :D 

1 hour ago, Ixthos said:

Have you read the Wheel of Time? It can get pretty dark. While not dark and not strictly fantasy there is also The Dragonriders of Pern series. A Song of Ice and Fire is pretty dark, and I've always enjoyed David Edding's Elenium trilogy.

I have not read it, but the story does not interest me in the slightest. So...*shrug*  

The Dragonriders of Pern (Whoah that is going to keep me busy for a while) and Elunium has been added to my list. I tried A Song of Ice and Fire, but didn't like it. 

55 minutes ago, Ookla the Theoretical said:

Throne of Glass is pretty good. I have the same issues with it that I do with Moral Instruments, just a warning. (I've been considering just not finishing it for a while but I'm so close to the end of the last book) I keep skipping parts. The plot is really good... 

Scythe is very good. I don't know if that's the same thing as Arc of a Scythe tho.

I'll consider Throne of Glass, thanks! Its not really my type of a book, but there's nothing wrong with trying something new :D. As my youtube hero, Niki Patton, says- Be as random as possible, thats what makes life interesting. 

Scythe is the same thing as Arc of a Scythe. 

21 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

I see you already decided to read it but seconding Arc of a Scythe.

I don't think Wheel of Time is all that dark, not compared to other books. Robert Jordan is very good at glossing over violence and imo it's Sanderson level. But also recommended! It'll keep you busy for awhile :D 

Now I feel like I should have read Arc of a Scythe earlier! Everybody is recommending it :D

As for The Wheel of Time, as I said, the storyline does not interest me. 

Thanks so much for all of these recommendations! ^_^

13 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

Cradle is a book series that is on my list, I also have Dune, you could try those. how about Westing game or the thrawn trilogy by Timothey Zahn?

I've put Cradle on my list. I'm not interested in Dune. I have read the Westing Game already, and I am not interested in the Thrawn Trilogy. 

Thanks so much for this though!

The Crystal Gryphon by Andre Norton.  It's one of the books that first got me interested in Fantasy many moons ago.  It is part of the larger Witch World cycle, but can easily be read as a stand alone.

The Witch World itself has quite a few books in it, some by Andre Norton herself, some written in collaboration with her.  Basically it is a world that she created for herself and others to tell stories about.  Think the Cosmere, but one planet with the various books about different countries.  Definitely worth a look in my opinion.

Cradle by Will Wight (I know it's already here but I'm seconding it). Piranesi by Susanna Clarke. Mage Errant series by John Bierce. Brandon Mull's Beyonders is good, if a little bit low-age compared to most. Art of the Adept series by Michael G. Manning. Naomi Novak's The Scholomance. Kingkiller Chronicles if you haven't already read that. Arc of a Scythe by Neil Shusterman. 

9 minutes ago, 2EmLee2 said:

Have you read the Shadow and Bone trilogy and the King of Scars duology? They are both part of the Grishaverse as well as Six of Crows.

Yes I have

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2022 at 10:17 AM, The Unknown Novel said:

What about the wheel of time story line doesn’t interest you? Just curious. 

Its just not a story that...speaks to me. And plus it feels like it has a LOT of characters and i prefer my book with a smaller cast. 

How about Sabriel by Garth Nix? It was recently released as a 25th anniversary edition and it seems to fit your description: dark fantasy, YA and a little romance thrown in. 

Official page

You can probably get a sample for kindle if you have an amazon account to see if you like the style of Garth Nix' writing. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m currently doing a massage Cosmere reread so I haven’t read anything aside from that recently. These are a few of the best Fantasy books I can think of off the top of my head. If any of these appeal to you knock yourself out but if they don’t maybe somebody will be into them :)

The first law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie (If you are into Audiobooks this is honestly the only narrrator I’d put up there with Kramer)

Kings dark Tidings but Kel Kade

Malazan book of be fallen by Steven Erickson (Heavy heavy fantasy reading)

Night Angel trilogy or LightBringer by Brent Weeks

The Necromancers Key by Mitchel Hogan

Powder mage series by Brian McClellan (one of Sanderson’s Students)

• 1 month later...

Since you like fantasy and ya romance, if you haven't already read the Damar books by Robin McKinley, The Hero and the Crown and The Blue Sword, you should check them out. 

The Ostenard series by Tad Williams is really good, his prose is beautiful and the ending of the first trilogy To Green Angel Tower is satisfyingly epic, like a Sanderlanche or an Erickson Convergance. The first book in the first trilogy is The Dragonbone chair, good stuff.

• 3 months later...
On 2/25/2022 at 4:01 AM, Elf said:

I...am out of books to read. 

I am reading The Ember Quartet by Sabaa Tahir right now. After that... I don't know what I'll read. 

Reccs pls besties!! 

For context, I like fantasy (preferably dark) and ya romance (but not with normal characters. They've got to be greek legends or wizards or something.) For fantasy I will read just about any age range. 

These are my favorite books- The Cosmere by Brandon Sanderson, The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater,  Six of Crows Duology by Leigh Bardugo, The Ember Quartet by Sabaa Tahir, The Simon Snow series by Rainbow Rowell, the Nevernight trilogy by Jay Kristoff, The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb, The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller, The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. 

Please help me i will die without books

I recommend a book called Renegades by Marissa Meyer. Its a super hero one yea, kinda cliche but its soooooo good.