Fanfic: Distraction. (Kaladin romance)

Rensy

This is a romance fanfic between Kaladin and a character I created. I intend for these happenings to follow events from the actual books. A secret romance if you will. The books touch on Kaladin’s love life a little, but it's never explored even when he has a partner! So this story is a way of filling that gap.

Spoiler

The heavy weight of his boots felt heavier after each second, each step, each breath. Kaladin’s thoughts reeled through the day’s events, through every moment. His breath heavier, his chest feeling tighter.

Syl could see Kaladin drifting into darkness. With hoping hesitation, she zipped around his head, her trailing light making waves.

“I think this would be the perfect time to go to All’s Alley.”

Kaladin gazed at Syl, still clinging on to his thoughts. “I’m worried Kal, please.” With reluctance, Kaladin moved towards Urithru’s pub of questionable morale. He knew he must have had a downcast look to him, the type of look Syl fretted over. He wished she didn’t know him so well. He was also relieved for the suggested distraction.

He took a seat at a lone table, removed the extra seat to signal his preferred company. Syl frowned at the action. Kaladin stated he only needed Syl’s company right now. If others interacted with him they would know he wasn’t the valiant hero everyone saw him to be, and he wasn't in the mood to attend to the duty.

Syl sighed, at least he wasn’t alone.

Kaladin ordered a cup of orange, his usual drink of choice. Although he still went into his thoughts; the sounds of the bar, the chatter around him, they gave him short periods of reprieve.

A clatter came at him suddenly. Kaladin looked around in a hurry, expecting danger. A woman appeared in front of him, sitting in a chair. “Apologies, I didn’t want to sit alone.” Kaladin hesitated from the odd event, “I would prefer to sit alone though.” The woman shrugged in defiance, “that’s too bad.” She gave him a mischievous smile. “You’re cute, I’m cute. I think we would make good company.” She knew his name already, everyone in Urithiru knew. She wondered if he would prefer Brightlord, he demanded to be called by his name. Kaladin asked for her introduction. “I’m an edgedancer, Nemi. I’m in Lift’s company. You should know her.” Kaladin made his protest to be alone already, so he decided that silence may be a better persuader. As silence filled the space between them, she tilted her head, “I’m bored here, we should spar.” Kaladin felt taken aback enough to reply, “I am busy.” She laughed, and said, “yes you are, with me. Let’s go.” She took his hand and led him away from his darkness.

Nemi has heard rumours of Kaladin. She has seen him many times, Urithiru is an expansive place, but the Radiants attended to the same areas. There weren’t  many Radiants either. They all knew of one another in some capacity. All the Radiants thought of Kaladin as a hero, the role model, the underdog that fought his way through the crem. She has seen him in the field, it was always a dazzling sight. Sometimes it would distract her from her duty, which was a feat. She always thought of him as beautiful, an odd word to describe a rough man. He held so much esteem, yet showed little concern over it. He is focused, caring, and dutiful. He also has a side of him that she caught glimpses of, a darkness created from the burden of any soldier. How must he feel, as a hero? What has he experienced to become a hero? The thought sent shivers through her body, it become cold from the mere wonder. She didn’t frequent All’s, she had other pass times which kept her mind alert. When she saw Kaladin enter the pub though, she felt her feet move towards him.

They slowed as they approached the practice arena. Kaladin protested, "I'm not comfortable with this at all. We just met." Nemi could feel the cool night breeze against her face. "You fight with many who you have just met. Here, I'll start!"

Their swords leaned against one another, her face inches from his, “It’s so fun to spar against another Radiant, especially one that isn’t an edgedancer.” They parted. She glided with fierce speed and precision, as he lashed into the air. “I have the higher ground, I have the advantage, I don’t think this is fair.” She slowed her breath, and faded into nothing. Kaladin floated to the ground. Nemi called out, “is it fair now?” She faded in and out, so he could spot her. 

Nemi and Kaladin clashed. Their duel became a violent dance. She faded in and out, teasing Kaladin of her existence. He didn't notice at All's, or during the travel to the practice arena. There was poise and grace to her movement. Delicate, long fingers caressed her long thin blade. Her steps are playful and light. She let her long dark hair flow, flirting with the wind. Adding flips and twirls when dodging. At one point she kicked off his own blade, while letting out a sound of delight as her body clung to the air. Whenever they came together, her eyes became intense and raw with emotion. Kaladin became distracted by her silhouette. Syl sensed his loss of focus, Kal you're slowing down

Nemi became solid, and stayed that way. She glided backwards away from Kaladin. "I'm bored now, you win." Kaladin became stern, "I don't appreciate the forfeit." Nemi laughed and wondered out loud, "what is it that you do appreciate? Syl is beautiful by the way, you are both one of a kind.” Kaladin blushed, not really comprehending the compliment or the connection. Syl giggled at the comparison. Kaladin wondered when they started walking along the path back to the residences. "What was that? I've never seen an edgedancer, or anyone, disappear."

Nemi put her finger to her lips. "It's not actually a secret, my company knows. Though, we agreed not to spread to word, as a military tactic." She explained that she is able to reflect the light off of her, so it was difficult to perceive her. Before she came to Urithru, she thought all edgedancers had this ability. She didn’t know it at first, when she used it the first few times. When she felt anxious, she would slow down her breathing, and let her thoughts drain away. It was a shock to her closest friend when Nemi vanished. Laughing at the memory, "I can become translucent, isn't that intriguing?" She can make herself almost invisible to others. While looking at her, there would be a blurry wrongness in her place instead. When that blurry wrongness is always moving, people usually think there must be something in their eye. Nemi looked up towards the blue streaked night sky. "I wouldn't want to think there was something invisible watching me, that's creepy. I'd rather think an eye rubbing should clear my vision." Kaladin traced her silhouette against the night sky. He noticed then, his thoughts weren't on his fight against the fused. It was on Nemi. This disturbed him, his guard was off, he felt vulnerable. "I'm going to rest for the night. The spar was enjoyable, thanks." She stopped with him, gave him a kiss, then glided away just as quickly. "See you again!" Nemi didn't give him time to disagree.

Thank you for your time. It's a fluffy story. Let me know if you're interested in reading more! Feel free to let me know where to expand. I don't really write stories, be gentle :)

• 2 weeks later...