Allomantic Duralumin Savantism

Trusk'our

Allomantic duralumin gives a massive burst of power to a Mistborn burning it along with another metal as it allows your to use up a metal reserve instantly. However, I don't think that it's actually instant, just very, very fast.

If someone could have a large enough metal store, or burn their duralumin at a slower pace, then they might be able to use another power very quickly, but not in a single burst, more as a very highly flared power. 

I think that savantism with this particular power may actually allow this, as savantism allows for significantly greater control over the power's usage. In fact, it may be that the reason The Lord Ruler was able to sooth so powerfully was because he used Allomantic duralumin, but in a very controlled way allowed by savantism. He was also very powerful innately though, so this may not be the case. Even so, I think my idea still has merit.

Damn, you're really into the metallic arts. I love it, I love investiture-magic-theorizing. Which is why: I think your idea definitely has merit. There's not many magics where I think we can guess what Savantism does and some where it's kind of irrelevant (like, I assume every Elantrian technically becomes a Savant at some point, which might be hard to tell from just having lots of time to train your AonDor), but Duralumin is interesting. Being able to burn it slower and more controlled would be really useful for a Mistborn. Or a Duralumin Misting that gets access to another kind of power I guess

23 hours ago, Trusk'our said:

Allomantic duralumin gives a massive burst of power to a Mistborn burning it along with another metal as it allows your to use up a metal reserve instantly. However, I don't think that it's actually instant, just very, very fast.

It's definitely not instant, as Vin's early use of it in Well of Ascension allows her to hear a couple heartbeats with super-flared tin. So maybe like two seconds? Though it probably varies based on the Allomancer's strength ... and maybe the quantity of metals it's burning off too?

We do know for sure it is not instant, just very fast. 

And yes, I believe that the Great Soothing was a mixture of TLR Compounding, already being an absurdly strong Mistborn even without it, and due to Duralumin. (And yes, I do recall a WoB that said one can Compound for a great Allomantic effect, if you know how, which TLR should)

8 hours ago, Frustration said:

He knew about it, and so did the inquisitors.

But they only started using it after Ruin's release, right? And there's no plaque in the caches describing it like there was for electrum and malatium and aluminum.

I'll concede that its possible TLR knew about it, but I don't think that inquisitors did until Ruin was released.

1 minute ago, Wandering Shade said:

But they only started using it after Ruin's release, right? And there's no plaque in the caches describing it like there was for electrum and malatium and aluminum.

I'll concede that its possible TLR knew about it, but I don't think that inquisitors did until Ruin was released.

They knew about it.

Spoiler

Brandon Sanderson

Chapter Seventy-Four

Allomantic Secrets

Some people have asked me why the Lord Ruler was so careful to keep secrets about Allomancy. What would it have mattered if he let out that there were atium Mistings?

Some of the secrets offered a sizable tactical advantage. Keeping back duralumin and aluminum gave him and his Inquisitors (the only ones told about those metals, other than a few select obligators) tools that nobody knew about. Very few Inquisitors could burn duralumin (and most who did it gained the ability through the use of spikes reused from previous, dead Inquisitors—and those spikes were therefore much weaker.). However, those who did have the power could appear inordinately skilled in Allomancy, enhancing the Lord Ruler's divine reputation.

Beyond that, knowledge is power. I believe that. And I think that if you're the Lord Ruler, you want to keep a few secrets about your magic system. Mistborn are very rare. Mistings among the nobility—particularly in the early centuries—were not rare. If they'd known about atium Mistings, it could have upset the balance by creating too many superwarriors.

Plus, if there are unknown superwarriors to be had, then you want to keep them for yourself.

The Hero of Ages Annotations (April 15, 2010)

TLR definitely did know duralumin's existence/use, but I don't think he used it for his powerful Soothing, given how long it lasted. He seems to Soothe basically constantly, from how Vin talks about feeling suppressed emotions in his presence.

TLR was at least Lerasium Mistborn strength to begin with + he was probably a Savant with Soothing + maybe the Well aligning him to Preservation/his Sliver status helped too?

I am not sure TLR could use Nicrosil Compounding - he probably knew about all sixteen metals, but I don't think there was any Nicrosil available.

(I wonder, though, if messing around with things like Identity and Connection Feruchemically could give you more efficiency/strength/whatever with Soothing?)

21 minutes ago, cometaryorbit said:

TLR was at least Lerasium Mistborn strength to begin with + he was probably a Savant with Soothing + maybe the Well aligning him to Preservation/his Sliver status helped too?

He didn't use Lerasium he used the well to make himself really powerful with Allomancy.

12 minutes ago, Frustration said:

He didn't use Lerasium he used the well to make himself really powerful with Allomancy.

I know he didn't actually use Lerasium, but the HoA epigraph says " Still, it is interesting to me that one of his "divine" powers—his essential Allomantic strength—was something every one of the original nine Allomancers possessed." So his base power was equal to that of a Lerasium Mistborn, though the source was different.

Though he seems more powerful in practice, maybe more so than Savantism in Soothing etc. could explain.

1 hour ago, cometaryorbit said:

I know he didn't actually use Lerasium, but the HoA epigraph says " Still, it is interesting to me that one of his "divine" powers—his essential Allomantic strength—was something every one of the original nine Allomancers possessed." So his base power was equal to that of a Lerasium Mistborn, though the source was different.

Though he seems more powerful in practice, maybe more so than Savantism in Soothing etc. could explain.

He was much stronger than Elend, to the point Elend has to use Duralumin to be on his level.

Spoiler

Chaos (paraphrased)

I continued to ask about the Lord Ruler and his Allomantic strength.

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

There's an upper bound to the amount of power you can get from being a savant. Brandon said that, obviously, the Lord Ruler wasn't using duralumin and Elend could only get that powerful in Soothing using duralumin. He implied that there was a way to Compound to enhance Allomancy.

Alloy of Law 17th Shard Q&A (Nov. 5, 2011)

Yeah. To reconcile that with the HOA annotation, which IMO clearly says that TLR's "essential Allomantic strength" was the same as the original Lerasium Mistborn, I think there must be a distinction between 'base' or 'essential' strength and additional boosts - e.g. from savantism (or "near savant" which TLR apparently was in many metals) or maybe Sliver status.

(Also, that's a paraphrased WOB, so I am not sure we can take that as literally meaning "TLR Allomantic Strength = Elend with Duralumin"... just that TLR was notably stronger than Elend. I don't think Duralumin provides a consistent level of boosted strength anyway, it's based on how much metal the Allomancer burns away.)