The fake soulcaster and Jasnah's luck

Cocoa

I'm listening to WoK again, and having gotten to the bit right after Shallan's theft of the fake soulcaster, I can't help but be struck by how lucky Jasnah is that she didn't soulcast around Shallan afterwards and how funny it would be, as a reader, if she had. She hadn't been especially shy about casual soulcasting up to that point, we find out about her using it just because she ran out of ink or needed a paperweight, so it really was pure luck that she didn't do something similar after the swap.

And imagine you're Shallan when this happens. You spent all this time psyching yourself up to steal your boss' magic artifact, you're agonizing over what you've done, and then your boss just. Casually uses the broken artifact you swapped for her working one. I don't think she'd have any chance of making the Radiant connection, because nobody's seen a Radiant since forever, but she'd certainly be perplexed. Maybe perplexed enough to say something, if she wasn't careful.

Or she might just be relieved and assume Jasnah has some way to make a broken soulcaster work without knowing it's broken. And with that in mind she'd hightail it back to Jah Keved, aaaaaaand things would probably end terribly for her and her brothers since Jasnah never actually had a soulcaster.