Amber in Awakening

QafianSage

So, as far as I understand it's the case that organic substances can be Awakened, and then Breath can be retrieved from them later (except in the case of Lifeless, possibly because they gain an Identity). Inorganic substances are far harder to Awaken (seventh Heightening, very high cost etc), and Breath can't be retrieved from them in the example we've seen (also possibly because Nightblood has its own Identity).

Where does amber fall on this scale?

I don't imagine it would be very useful for everyday Awakening (not exactly very flexible), but for academic/hypothetical purposes, where do your thoughts fall when it comes to the organic versus inorganic nature of amber for the purposes of Awakening? Because on the one hand it's closer in appearance to, say, a precious stone than cloth or straw, but it's actually composed of solidified resin.

It takes the Ninth Heightening to Awaken metal in any form, and it would make sense to me that you could retrieve them too so long as the Awakening didnt complicate it with Identity (as with Lifeless or Nightblood).  But per this WOB you would not need the 9th just to store it in metal, only to make it do something useful while in there.  

Chris King

Can you store Breath in metal without the [Ninth] Heightening? Just put it there without Awakening, just to hide the Breath.

Brandon Sanderson

Can you hide Breath in-- Yes you can hide Breath in things.

Chris King

Metal in particular, without the [Ninth] Heightening could you put it into metal. Without the purpose of Awakening it, just storing it there.

Brandon Sanderson

Oh without the [Ninth] Heightening-- I would say yes you could.

Chris King interview (Sept. 24, 2013)

On 2/14/2022 at 10:20 AM, Quantus said:

It takes the Ninth Heightening to Awaken metal in any form, and it would make sense to me that you could retrieve them too so long as the Awakening didnt complicate it with Identity (as with Lifeless or Nightblood).  But per this WOB you would not need the 9th just to store it in metal, only to make it do something useful while in there.  

Huh. That's pretty cool to know, actually. 

Does this mean that you could invest a sword, shield, or other piece of metal to act as a way to stop Shardblades, but without the extra perks, such as super sharpness or being super light? Seems like there could be some interesting applications of investing Breath in certain objects specifically resist other forms of investiture.