Supporting group for accidental world hoppers

Trutharchivist

So, that's just an idea I had - I posted a status update about it, and I had 100% approval and 50% of the repliers expressed interest in joining. Due to that, and the fact that said repliers were precisely two people, I decided to try it out here and see whether or not there are others that'd be interested.

The idea was based on the following quote:

“I wonder if there’s a support group for people like us? You know, people who accidentally travel into other dimensions and whatnot.”

-Chris Colfer, The Land of Stories: the Wishing Spell

The idea was originally of writing a fanfic based on that, which would contain a couple of characters from books I've read that passed between dimensions. I never got around to actually writing it, and actually recalled the idea lately after years since I first thought of it. Due to some reasons, one of them being that I'm not completely sure in my ability to write all the characters I thought of, I decided to try an RP.

First thing first: I'll probably try to play the Bailey twins from the Land of Stories. Playing characters from existing books is somewhat preferred, but if you have a character of yours that went through somewhat traumatizing worldhopping or you want to creat a new character - you're invited. The RP won't have much of a plot really - maybe it should be inforum games? - it's more about character interaction in a support group. I never really was in one, but how hard can it be?

Hopefully this'll work. Thank you for reading! 

@Goob (what happened? You're not amazing anymore? I tagged you because you seemingly expressed interest in this.)

1 hour ago, Trutharchivist said:

@Goob (what happened? You're not amazing anymore? I tagged you because you seemingly expressed interest in this.)

Who's going to be the support group and who's going to be the supported? I'm just somewhat curious how this is going to work as a whole

9 hours ago, Goob said:

Who's going to be the support group and who's going to be the supported? I'm just somewhat curious how this is going to work as a whole

Well, I thought of something more similar to what Kaladin did in RoW, assuming you read it: people with similar (semi-traumatic) experience talking about it, no professional aid or anything.

9 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

So it's like if Fellowship of the Thing was a therapy biopic

Well, I have absolutely no idea, since I never read it from beginning to end, but doesn't FotT follow some kind of plot currently? I know it wasn't like that from the beginning, so I guess that yes, kind of.

• 5 months later...

All right. I guess I'll just randomly start and hope people will join.

My characters are: Alex and Conner Bailey, twins. They're the grandchildren of the Fairy Godmother from the Land of Stories. Alex is a nerdy and extremely smart girl, while Conner is the more humorous, less serious twin. They accidentally went through a book to the Land of Stories, not knowing yet about their heritage. Later, their grandma died and Alex replaced her as the Fairy Godmother. Conner, in the other hand, stayed to live in "the Other World", which is basically our world.

To clarify things: I'm taking them from the end of the sixth book, though I'm not going to bring out other characters from the series who went through the same experience. If you know the books and want to play one of those characters (or one of the twins, even) - be my guest.

All right. Here goes nothing...

It was a simple, white room, with chairs set in a circle in the middle. For the moment, no one was around. Then, in a flash of light and a gust of wind, two people appeared. They seemed to be around fifteen years old. One - a girl - was dressed in a sparkling sky-blue dress and had a short wand in her hand. The other was a boy, dressed in regular jeans and a t-shirt. Both had brown hair and eyes.

"So... This is it, then." Said the boy, Conner. "The... Support group for people who went between dimensions." He looked around. "Seriously, after all we've been through... I'm not sure we really need it anymore. Passing between dimensions became sort of dull."

"Well, it's still best to be able to discuss those things with other people." Said Alex. "You do have Bree, mom and Bob to talk to about this, but I still think this is a good idea. Besides, we could help other people."

"All right, I guess." Said Conner. 

After a few moments of awkward silence, Alex said "So... I guess we'll just sit and wait for other people to arrive." They picked seats and sat, waiting.

Sorry for being somewhat out of character, it's been a while since I read those books and I'm not convinced that I should reread them. Hopefully this works well enough. Otherwise... I'll just have to abandon it.

• 3 months later...
On 7/13/2022 at 1:28 PM, Trutharchivist said:

It was a simple, white room, with chairs set in a circle in the middle. For the moment, no one was around. Then, in a flash of light and a gust of wind, two people appeared. They seemed to be around fifteen years old. One - a girl - was dressed in a sparkling sky-blue dress and had a short wand in her hand. The other was a boy, dressed in regular jeans and a t-shirt. Both had brown hair and eyes.

"So... This is it, then." Said the boy, Conner. "The... Support group for people who went between dimensions." He looked around. "Seriously, after all we've been through... I'm not sure we really need it anymore. Passing between dimensions became sort of dull."

"Well, it's still best to be able to discuss those things with other people." Said Alex. "You do have Bree, mom and Bob to talk to about this, but I still think this is a good idea. Besides, we could help other people."

"All right, I guess." Said Conner. 

After a few moments of awkward silence, Alex said "So... I guess we'll just sit and wait for other people to arrive." They picked seats and sat, waiting.

Rachel (from Beyonders Brandon Mull): walks in “Um, hi. Support group?”

Edited by The Halcyon Girl

All right. Halcyon girl, how did you find this thread? It's been mostly dead for quite a while now. I did not expect it to ever revive. Yet here we are, I suppose.

Aspiring Archivist: I have no idea which books you have read, but there are quite a lot of Portal Fantasies out there. You can play someone from the Land of Stories, if you so wish (assuming you've read the entire series, there are quite a few interdimensional travellers among the cast); you can try someone from Narnia; you can try and invent a character of your own or go for one from any portal fantasy. If you've read Inkheart, Alice in Wonderland, Bookweird, Five Kingdoms/Beyonders, His Dark Materials (minus the accidental part, I guess), or, say, Stravaganza, you can also choose from there. I don't know every Portal Fantasy in existence, but those are good for a start, I suppose.

If you both will excuse me, I think I need to take a little more time to think of how to RP as the characters I chose. So I'll try to actually RP here a bit later. Sorry!

10 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:

Ok. I guess I'll be... Edmund? He probably went through the most trauma given the kidnapping/imprisonment/near death. It will probably have to be the young version of him, though, since I hardly remeber past LWW and a few bits of MN.