What Twinborn would you be?

Wandering Shade

On 2/11/2022 at 5:02 PM, Wandering Shade said:

Woah. That sounds very plausible to me. Steelsight is a sense and tinminds store senses independently, so being able to store steelsight seems logical to me.

Yeah, IIRC allomantic bronze would be storable, so probably.

Though apparently technically Inquisitor-level steelsight is learnable by anyone with allomantic iron or steel (from the HoA annotations).

45 minutes ago, HavingTheHasHoidAPurpose? said:

For me, an interesting one is A-Tin, F-zinc(mental speed)

While tin savantism is damaging, I think good use of F-zinc could make it a bit more bearable(mentally speed past pain) and also to enhance the unique combat benefits with being able to process the mental stimuli faster.

It could honestly go either way in-canon, but the way I imagine that working is like a form of Tsukuyomi. So, not mentally speeding past the pain, but stretching the pain for longer (in subjective mental time), making it worse.

19 hours ago, CryoZenith said:

It could honestly go either way in-canon, but the way I imagine that working is like a form of Tsukuyomi. So, not mentally speeding past the pain, but stretching the pain for longer (in subjective mental time), making it worse.

I meant like, thinking slower, so you dont feel it for as long

• 3 weeks later...
Okay, I may be late to the party here, but I wanted to say that my personal favorite combo, is a Steelrunner-Pulser, or a Rioter-Slider. Now it's time to back up my decisions.

Firstly, you'll notice I choose Pulser as an Alloymantic ability, which is an unconventional choice. You forget that this metal only seems week, because people think of it only in the context of alloymancy, but I am both a misting AND a ferring. (In this scenario.) Steelrunners are awesome, and fun, and the only drawback is the days you have to store your speed. Wouldn't it be nice if I could speed up personal time so that it felt like I was storing speed for a few minutes, but really it was much longer? Oh wait... I can! (Because of the pulser ability.) It's kinda the most awesome combo of all time.

Now for my other combo. This one is less combo-ish, and more just awesome. My alloymantic choice was rioter, which again, is kind of unpopular next to the other abilities. (If you know me you know I can't take the popular route.) But beyond that, the ability carried by rioters, is honestly underestimated. Rioters can enflame emotions. Now, let's not get the wrong idea here. That ability is AWESOME. Have you ever watched a great movie, or read a great book and just felt that feeling of pure hope/joy? I can tell you, it's a great feeling. And if you're a great speaker, 
(Like myself.) 
(I'm also kidding.) 
(Mostly.)
Then you are trying to give people those feelings with your words anyway, and you have a shortcut. You can recruit other listings to your cause using the power of your persuasion. As for the feruchimal ability, if I can't be a pulser, then I want a metalmind that is equally powerful when it is being filled, or tapped. As far as I can tell, this is the only metalmind with that benefit. (Besides Bendalloy metalminds maybe.) Also people might make the argument that steel is the most powerful misting ability, but why would you jump around on coins, when you can literally just jump, if you reduce your weight enough. Which you can reduce infinitely because metalminds!

So, did I just blow you guy's minds?

Or is someone going to one-up me, with even better arguments.

(Sorry for any typos in the message above. We'll say they were intentional though, meant to add character to my message.)

If I was in the Cosmere:

A-Nicrosil, F-Nicrosil

IRL:

A-Zinc, F-Nicrosil

If I'm remembering correctly, when you burn a metal you create Investiture and then use it. However, before you expend ti, you can store it in Nicrosil. Then, you can use more Allomantic ability at once, effectively exceeding your Allomantic strength limit.

Edited by Mazman

• 2 weeks later...

I'd want to be a Copper-F and a Cadmium-A twin born.

I think having the encyclopedic knowledge of a copper mind, I think those ferrings are called archivists, would be useful not matter what kind of life a person was living, whether they were an adventurer, a soldier, or a desk clerk.

As for being a pulser, I think it would be really handy for traveling. In the Bands of Mourning, we learned that a pulser's speed bubble moves with the person if their on a big enough vehicle, like Marasi on the train.  You probably couldn't use it in a car, judging by what happened when she burned cadmium in a horse drawn carriage, but maybe you could turn a 12 hour bus ride into a few minutes or the same thing for a plane trip. It would still be the full twelve hours in real time, but you'd practically be jumping ahead in time.

Edited by Letryx13
Incomplete

On 09/03/2022 at 6:29 PM, Bondsmith-Edgedancer said:
Firstly, you'll notice I choose Pulser as an Alloymantic ability, which is an unconventional choice. You forget that this metal only seems week, because people think of it only in the context of alloymancy, but I am both a misting AND a ferring. (In this scenario.) Steelrunners are awesome, and fun, and the only drawback is the days you have to store your speed. Wouldn't it be nice if I could speed up personal time so that it felt like I was storing speed for a few minutes, but really it was much longer? Oh wait... I can! (Because of the pulser ability.) It's kinda the most awesome combo of all time.

Okay but don't pulsers slow down time in a bubble around them, surely you would fill you metalminds in more time. I mean the idea is really powerful but you got your metals confused i think.

Anyway for me I would choose A-tin F-Bendalloy. Tin cause its pretty useful, and I just really like F-Bendalloy

Edited by Skaromas

On 3/22/2022 at 3:54 PM, Skaromas said:

Okay but don't pulsers slow down time in a bubble around them, surely you would fill you metalminds in more time. I mean the idea is really powerful but you got your metals confused i think.

Anyway for me I would choose A-tin F-Bendalloy. Tin cause its pretty useful, and I just really like F-Bendalloy

You might be right, but I was under the impression that the bible made it so that in reality time was moving much faster than it seemed to be for you. Like stress said she could use it to make waiting for stuff easier, because an entire day could feel like a few hours. So wouldn't that make it so that when I was filling my metalmind, a lot of time was passing, but it didn't feel like a lot of time was passing?

Again, I could be wrong about this. 

1 hour ago, Bondsmith-Edgedancer said:

You might be right, but I was under the impression that the bible made it so that in reality time was moving much faster than it seemed to be for you. Like stress said she could use it to make waiting for stuff easier, because an entire day could feel like a few hours. So wouldn't that make it so that when I was filling my metalmind, a lot of time was passing, but it didn't feel like a lot of time was passing?

I'll be honest I have no clue but to me it seems counterintuitive that whilst you are affected by a speed bubble the metalminds and how they physically affect the feruchemist are not. I think that the storage of metalminds would be relative to the feruchemist, as they are connected spirtually, but honestly I dont think we have any actual information on how it would work, whether investiture and how it functions in the case of feruchemy is affected by them.

On 25.03.2022 at 6:46 PM, Bondsmith-Edgedancer said:

Nope.

Cadmium bubble is physically slowing time on the area, not just relativly for user, @Skaromas is right. Even if metalmind spiritually will be normal, feruchemist's storing speed depends on his reaction time, and his own perception, so slower time for him - slower storing.

If you want to speed storing up, you need to use Bendaloy/Cerrobent, witch has reversed effect.

12 hours ago, Bzhydack said:

Nope.

Cadmium bubble is physically slowing time on the area, not just relativly for user, @Skaromas is right. Even if metalmind spiritually will be normal, feruchemist's storing speed depends on his reaction time, and his own perception, so slower time for him - slower storing.

If you want to speed storing up, you need to use Bendaloy/Cerrobent, witch has reversed effect.

So, question. If I were to put the metalmind outside the slowness bubble, while remaining inside it... would that work? Is the Slowness bubble boarder clear enough for that to be possible?

27 minutes ago, Bondsmith-Edgedancer said:

So, question. If I were to put the metalmind outside the slowness bubble, while remaining inside it... would that work? Is the Slowness bubble boarder clear enough for that to be possible?

Probably not. Metalmind is spiritualy part of Feruchemist, part of his Cognitive Self. And object can be fully inside the bubble or fully out. So metalmind can be with Feruchemist inside, or can be outside but he would not be able to touch it and Fill it - because Bubble Border would be constantly between them. 

Still dont understand why dont simply use Bendaloy Bubble instead...

Zinc/zinc, steel/steel, or gold/gold for me, probably. There are cool, dramatic effects from different combinations but compounding is really powerful and hard to turn down, particularly when it makes it so much easier, faster, and more pleasant to fill a metalmind. Effectively unlimited physical or mental speed could be useful in tons of ways, and rioting or steelpushing would also be versatile. Gold/gold is a bit unexciting and the Allomantic ability could be tough to use to any real effect, but physical indestructibility is pretty appealing. Atium/atium would also be handy, though I'd worry about finding enough of the metal to make good use of it.

Outside of compounding I'd probably also go with A-pewter/F-gold, A-pewter/F-steel, or A-brass/F-gold. Allomantic pewter is awesome, and could offset the unpleasantness of filling a gold metalmind. Soothing would be both useful and subtle, plus gold for physical safety. And pewter/steel is a versatile, straight up superhero.

My first inclination is Smoker/Archivist - Archivist because I love the idea of storing memories and Smoker because I have the feeling that copper compounding is going to be wild. But there's a lot unknown here. . .

My second inclination is Slider/Subsumer - Subsumer because I love to cook, and eating/tasting whatever and just storing the energy for later sounds awesome. Slider, not because of the combat applications, but for the same reason as Archivist. Being able to read for hours of subjective time, but only spending an hour or so of objective time is appealing, and you would have to be a compounder to get that kind of time out of it (if there is even a way to reverse compound to expand the Allomantic ability)

Ignoring compounding, I would probably have to go with Tineye/Subsumer to be Scadrial's "Iron Chef" - Excellent taste, and eat whatever to store the excess. . .If only because there is no F/F twinborn to be an Archivist/Subsumer.

In an attempt to jailbreak A-Electrum, I would pair it with F-Nicrosil, F-Tin, or F-Chromium.

F-Nicrosil is just an attempt to build up the Investiture needed to get a proper glimpse of the Spiritual Realm so that I can see far into the future. 

As has been mentioned, it's possible to store Allomantic senses in a tinmind, so my hope would be that peering into the Spiritual Realm would qualify as something that tin can store. In that case, that would be another potential way to see farther into the future. Additionally, I think there could be a neat resonance with this combination, and I'd like to explore the possibilities that tin offers by pushing the definition of "sense" to its limit. 

A-Electrum and F-Chromium would mostly be for curiosity. Surely two abilities dealing in Fortune will have an interesting interaction and resonance. 

• 3 weeks later...

A-steel      F-bronze

I've thought about this so many times, and I have a hard time deciding. Can I just be a Lord Ruler please? :)

I ended up going with steel because I have always wanted to fly. Whenever the "which superpower would you have" question comes up, that's what I always choose. I almost went with tin because I think so many times throughout the day "if only I had tin" so I could see myself using it all the time. 

The ability to be more awake would be so helpful in so many situations, especially as a high school student. I don't get nearly enough sleep, and this would help XD