Toying with a "Companion Guide" for TWoK. Feedback appreciated!

Jofwu

There's a fantastic companion guide for Malazan out there, and over the years of occasionally seen people request something similar for Stormlight Archive. Sanderson's writing isn't nearly as opaque as Erikson's so I'm not really sure how useful something like this would be.... But if it helps people get into the series, that excites me!

I've put together what I think is a decent draft covering TWoK Part 1, as well as some rough opening pages: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1SH2PH4-Ry1PrwyFPGAdWIxFwwCu3bqLq5NXqDPVpuOM/edit?usp=sharing

Please let me know what you think! Even better, give it to a friend who's reading for the first time and let me know what they think! Does it seem helpful? Is it too much? Too little?

At this point I'm mostly interested in the big picture. It isn't time to bother with images or font that need some adjusting. :)

You called that decent draft!? It's fantastic! I think the introduction is really marvelous and the chapters are amazing, the introduction is more to my liking, because I don't like reading a summary along my book, just introduction before. But it's amazing nonetheless.

12 hours ago, Jofwu said:

There's a fantastic companion guide for Malazan out there, and over the years of occasionally seen people request something similar for Stormlight Archive. Sanderson's writing isn't nearly as opaque as Erikson's so I'm not really sure how useful something like this would be.... But if it helps people get into the series, that excites me!

I've put together what I think is a decent draft covering TWoK Part 1, as well as some rough opening pages: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1SH2PH4-Ry1PrwyFPGAdWIxFwwCu3bqLq5NXqDPVpuOM/edit?usp=sharing

Please let me know what you think! Even better, give it to a friend who's reading for the first time and let me know what they think! Does it seem helpful? Is it too much? Too little?

At this point I'm mostly interested in the big picture. It isn't time to bother with images or font that need some adjusting. :)

I think that it is well done so far. I'm curious as to what you think is missing from page 3.

I think this is awesome. Just a useful tip is that the coppermind has similar reviews. I don't think you need this, but if you are unsure about a factoid, you could always refer to what they wrote. However, I think this is greatly superior to what the coppermind has with not only better summary's but pictures to go along with. This is amazing.

24 minutes ago, lukaash said:

I think this is awesome. Just a useful tip is that the coppermind has similar reviews. I don't think you need this, but if you are unsure about a factoid, you could always refer to what they wrote. However, I think this is greatly superior to what the coppermind has with not only better summary's but pictures to go along with. This is amazing.

Yeah, and I've helped with those to some extent. This is trying to do something a BIT different. The Coppermind summaries have full spoilers for the book they are about, and are (generally) more detailed. They're really aimed at people who have read the book and need a refresher.

You could probably use this for that, but it's really meant to be an aid to first-time readers. So each chapter's slide will have no spoilers beyond that point in the book. And they're meant to be less about recapping what happened and (at least a bit) more about emphasizing important things (especially things that are easy to miss).

That said, one issue is that I think some of the chapter page drift a bit too much into recap mode. :D