Fullborn vs 4th ideal radiant

bmcclure7

49 minutes ago, Frustration said:

You CAN but why? Gold does everything Cadmium does and then some.

It would be like storing a-pewter for the speed benefit, it's so much easier to just use f-steel.

Depends on the efficiency of using gold to heal suffocation. If, for example, you could survive underwater for a week with 5 grams of cadmiumminds but it took a kilogram of goldminds...

Just now, cometaryorbit said:

Depends on the efficiency of using gold to heal suffocation. If, for example, you could survive underwater for a week with 5 grams of cadmiumminds but it took a kilogram of goldminds...

Very little gold actually.

How much cadmium does it take to stop a bullet?

Just now, Frustration said:

Very little gold actually.

How much cadmium does it take to stop a bullet?

Cadmium doesn't stop a bullet. That's not its job. Its job is to keep you from needing to breathe. The only person we've seen using gold for that purpose is the guy that was constantly compounding it, so it stands to reason that it takes more than very little gold to do so.

6 minutes ago, Frustration said:

It takes almost no stormlight to provide the oxygen needed for survival, why would gold be significantly worse?

I don't think the mechanism is the same. I think the lack of need to breathe when holding Stormlight is part of the specific powers it gives (related to breathing it in, etc) not general healing.

EDIT: Stormlight is gaseous Investiture, more analogous to Mist than a specific Feruchemical power.

Stormlight also gives broader physical enhancements including dexterity/grace, and maybe a bit of strength as well. It's not just healing.

Gold Feruchemy is *just* healing, using it to survive without air would mean healing all kinds of cellular damage constantly. I'd expect that to burn through reserves really fast since the damage is constantly reoccurring.

Edited by cometaryorbit

10 minutes ago, cometaryorbit said:

I don't think the mechanism is the same. I think the lack of need to breathe when holding Stormlight is part of the specific powers it gives (related to breathing it in, etc) not general healing.

EDIT: Stormlight is gaseous Investiture, more analogous to Mist than a specific Feruchemical power.

Stormlight also gives broader physical enhancements including dexterity/grace, and maybe a bit of strength as well. It's not just healing.

Gold Feruchemy is *just* healing, using it to survive without air would mean healing all kinds of cellular damage constantly. I'd expect that to burn through reserves really fast since the damage is constantly reoccurring.

Considering gold can almost instantly heal from any poison, and even small amounts can repair a lot of tissue damage. I don't think something small like sustaining cells without ATP to be too difficult for Gold to accomplish.

20 minutes ago, Frustration said:

It takes almost no stormlight to provide the oxygen needed for survival, why would gold be significantly worse?

We don't know the Stormlight to F-gold conversion rate, and F-gold might be less efficient in processes that the human body doesn't naturally do, such as creating oxygen atoms to replenish those used in cell respiration.

3 minutes ago, Nameless said:

We don't know the Stormlight to F-gold conversion rate, and F-gold might be less efficient in processes that the human body doesn't naturally do, such as creating oxygen atoms to replenish those used in cell respiration.

I doubt it would create oxygen atoms. Healing works by correcting the body to the soul. I think it would more likely provide the energy cells would use ATP for rather than make a final electron acceptor for the ETC.

I doubt it would create oxygen atoms. Healing works by correcting the body to the soul. I think it would more likely provide the energy cells would use ATP for rather than make a final electron acceptor for the ETC.

That would take tons of energy, and run through F-gold very quickly.

2 minutes ago, Nameless said:

That would take tons of energy, and run through F-gold very quickly.

A single ATP molecule contains 10^-19 joules

A single oxygen atom is made from roughly 2.39*10^-6 joules.

Just creating the energy ATP would be used for is so much more efficent it's unreal.

A single ATP molecule contains 10^-19 joules

A single oxygen atom is made from roughly 2.39*10^-6 joules.

Just creating the energy ATP would be used for is so much more efficent it's unreal.

So it would. If it was intelligent, F-gold would probably do something like taking CO2 and turning it back into oxygen, but we have no reason to think it would.

12 minutes ago, Nameless said:

So it would. If it was intelligent, F-gold would probably do something like taking CO2 and turning it back into oxygen, but we have no reason to think it would.

I don't think that's within its powers, F-gold heals the body. That sounds more like Cadmium's role.

I think it would be continuously restoring the cells to their healthy state, not just adding ATP but more like a constant re-set. That probably takes a lot of stored health.

I tend to think Compounding is more limited than often assumed. Miles survived dynamite and such, but I imagine being immersed in lava more than briefly would probably kill him (due to running out of gold).

Just now, cometaryorbit said:

I don't think that's within its powers, F-gold heals the body. That sounds more like Cadmium's role.

I think it would be continuously restoring the cells to their healthy state, not just adding ATP but more like a constant re-set. That probably takes a lot of stored health.

I tend to think Compounding is more limited than often assumed. Miles survived dynamite and such, but I imagine being immersed in lava more than briefly would probably kill him (due to running out of gold).

Well, the thing with Miles is that he's constantly compounding the stuff, so who knows how much gold he has on his person. He could probably take a few minutes of lava immersion, although that does depend on whether molten metal can be tapped for attributes. 

2 minutes ago, Nameless said:

Well, the thing with Miles is that he's constantly compounding the stuff, so who knows how much gold he has on his person. He could probably take a few minutes of lava immersion, although that does depend on whether molten metal can be tapped for attributes. 

I think he's likely constantly tapping at a rather low rate (and refills every so often by burning a metalmind and storing the resulting health) not burning constantly.

I think the melting point of gold is higher than most lava.

But lava immersion would damage the whole body constantly, not just the comparatively localized damage of say a bullet. And it's constantly reoccurring! A minute of lava is probably equivalent to hundreds of bullets.

Edited by cometaryorbit

6 minutes ago, cometaryorbit said:

I think he's likely constantly tapping at a rather low rate (and refills every so often by burning a metalmind and storing the resulting health) not burning constantly.

I don't know about a low rate, but yeah, I checked AoL, and he just taps constantly. He still probably has enough stores to last for a minute or two.

2 hours ago, Frustration said:

No, he continued to get new metals, storeing the attributes in different metalminds as he burned his current one.

If that were true he wouldn't have died instantly when  vin removed his metal minds.   Besides even if it's less than a 1000 years a spike full Of metal in your body is gonna take a long time to burn.

Edited by bmcclure7

6 hours ago, bmcclure7 said:

If that were true he wouldn't have died instantly when  vin removed his metal minds.   Besides even if it's less than a 1000 years a spike full Of metal in your body is gonna take a long time to burn.

He didn't die instantly, it took a bit for his body to catch up with his spiritual age.

8 hours ago, bmcclure7 said:

TLR wasn't constantly compounding. He compounded Atium daily, then stored that youth in his bracers. He didn't always have Atium burning in his stomach.

Just now, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

Compounding is used loosly, and while yours is the proper use of the word, it is generally used as getting/using an excessive amount of Feruchemical powers originating with true compounding.

Okay. TLR wasn't constantly burning charged Atium, he did so periodically and then stored the excess in his metalminds, which was why, when Vin ripped them off, he died so quickly.