Fullborn vs 4th ideal radiant

bmcclure7

15 hours ago, cometaryorbit said:

Also, some aluminum alloys (used in guns in Era 2 Scadrial) are investiture-inert, but not all, apparently.

So given the idea that Era 1 atium was actually an alloy, I think Soulcasting Era 1 atium might be possible again. But I don't think this is resolvable without either a new WoB or more information in The Lost Metal.

You can soulcast aluminum though, atium you cannot.

On 3/12/2022 at 0:32 PM, Frustration said:

You can soulcast aluminum though, atium you cannot.

I was more talking about the idea that whether special Investiture properties of a metal are kept in its alloys might not be a straightforward percentage-based thing.

And yeah, soulcasting *to* aluminum works fine, but not *from* aluminum.

On 3/12/2022 at 10:48 AM, Nameless said:

Making Atium into an alloy doesn't get rid of the Investiture in it, it only slightly dilutes it slightly.

Teleporting like the Pursuer wouldn't help. Kaladin was able to fight evenly against him, and F-steel would let you go faster than the Pursuer's maximum speed.

In a sustained fight, I totally agree that level of teleportation wouldn't work - but it might allow a Surgebinder to set up a surprise attack, depending on how "instant" the appearance is.

Edited by cometaryorbit

1 minute ago, cometaryorbit said:

In a sustained fight, I totally agree that level of teleportation wouldn't work - but it might allow a Surgebinder to set up a surprise attack, depending on how "instant" the appearance is.

Surprise attacks might work. If the Fullborn doesn't tap gold healing constantly like Miles. And if F-chromium doesn't give spider-sense.

37 minutes ago, Nameless said:

Surprise attacks might work. If the Fullborn doesn't tap gold healing constantly like Miles. And if F-chromium doesn't give spider-sense.

Well, this would be really dependent on the timeline. TLR didn't have chromium, I don't think, but that's pre-Radiants so...

An Era 2+ Fullborn would have Chromium, but post book 5 (contemporary with Era 2) Radiants might be able to use something like the Fused's Stormlight-draining weapon... would that stop gold healing?

More and more, I'm thinking this question isn't really answerable yet, except maybe for Bondsmiths (I do think the "heal the floor instead" Connection trick would make Feruchemy/Compounding fail, but even that isn't actually proved). We don't know enough about how some of the "anti-magical" options that Roshar is developing would interact, and we don't know enough about how several of the relevant Surges (Division and Transportation especially) work for Radiants.

2 minutes ago, cometaryorbit said:

Well, this would be really dependent on the timeline. TLR didn't have chromium, I don't think, but that's pre-Radiants so...

An Era 2+ Fullborn would have Chromium, but post book 5 (contemporary with Era 2) Radiants might be able to use something like the Fused's Stormlight-draining weapon... would that stop gold healing?

I don't know. It might not be able to drain their investiture into a gemstone.

3 minutes ago, cometaryorbit said:

More and more, I'm thinking this question isn't really answerable yet, except maybe for Bondsmiths (I do think the "heal the floor instead" Connection trick would make Feruchemy/Compounding fail, but even that isn't actually proved). We don't know enough about how some of the "anti-magical" options that Roshar is developing would interact, and we don't know enough about how several of the relevant Surges (Division and Transportation especially) work for Radiants.

Yeah, we don't know a ton about it, but I doubt any of the surges we don't know much about will be able to let a Radiant win against an enemy with the level of speed, strength, senses, healing, and intelligence that a fullborn has. The anti-lights might work better, but the real game-changer would be power suppressors, I'm thinking.

• 2 months later...
On 2/8/2022 at 8:45 AM, Frustration said:

How much breath does he have?

Even assuming he had some, he has to use that up constantly, and he can't make any more.

And breath is one of the attributes he's almost certain to not have in large amounts unless he really likes deep sea diving.

You don't understand compounding. 

Just now, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

you can have infinite of anything.

No more than you can have infinate steel pushes.

Calling it infinate is both innacurate and missleading.

If you compounded a full steel metalmind you get the same amount of speed you would get steel pushes. You don't have infinate, and it requires both time and resources to get it.

Just now, Frustration said:

No more than you can have infinate steel pushes.

Calling it infinate is both innacurate and missleading.

If you compounded a full steel metalmind you get the same amount of speed you would get steel pushes. You don't have infinate, and it requires both time and resources to get it.

okay, yes there are practiacal limitations. the point is, he could have essentially as much breath as he wanted. burning metalminds of your own has a multiplicative effect, so with a few resources and a little effort, you could get plenty.

Just now, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

okay, yes there are practiacal limitations. the point is, he could have essentially as much breath as he wanted. burning metalminds of your own has a multiplicative effect, so with a few resources and a little effort, you could get plenty.

But why would he want any?

Breath is litterally useless unless you are really intrested in diving.

3 minutes ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

or if you are obsessively prepared for bad situations.

Then you would create stores of gold because not only does it allow you to survive without breath but it also can heal your other injuries.

5 minutes ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

You are obviously not one who obsesively prepares for bad situations. you can do both.

I definatly prepare for the worst situations. Every second you spend making a cadmium mind is a second you aren't making a goldmind, which is superior in every way.

37 minutes ago, bmcclure7 said:

Compound by definition is a closed loop system.  Meaning a compound can store as he burns and then burn the store so he never runs out. 

Only so long as they have the metal. Once burned the metalmind ceases to exist.

I wonder what the practical upper limits of Compounding (based on a reasonable mass of metal) are. How long could Miles survive swimming in lava with a stomach full of charged gold? Could late-HoA Marsh have walked all the way to South Scadrial, or would surviving the sun that long have taken more gold than he could carry in practice?

2 hours ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

you can do both at the same time.

You CAN but why? Gold does everything Cadmium does and then some.

It would be like storing a-pewter for the speed benefit, it's so much easier to just use f-steel.