Hoid is not "collecting" Investiture

ShardlessVessel

It's something of a consensus in the community that, for whatever reason, Hoid has been traveling to various worlds and acquiring their magics for some purpose, maybe for amassing power, or maybe as a hobby. Whenever he lands on a planet, he tries to get that magic system. However, I don't think he's simply "collecting" these magics. I've been thinking about Investiture and how it relates to rhythm and color, and I think I have a hunch on why Hoid has been acquiring the Invested Arts we've seen him collect, and it's for a very specific reason: converting Investiture between forms and manipulating raw Investiture.

We have seen Hoid acquire very specific magic systems. He has:

• Failed to become an Elantrian
    • Stolen the Moon Scepter
  • Become an Allomancer
  • Become an Awakener
  • Become a Surgebinder

Selish magics require their user to induce a specific waveform into the Dor to create a given effect. As an Elantrian, he would be able to manipulate these waveforms and study how they affect the Dor itself. The Moon Scepter is the next best thing, as it helps to convert between the local magic systems.

Allomancers give off distinct Rhythms when they burn metals and have the ability to perceive the Rhythms produced by other Invested individuals.

Awakeners of the second Heightening have perfect pitch. This helps Hoid distinguish minute details of sound. Also, though it only reaches perfection at the third Heightening, he also has enhanced color perception.

Surgebinders utilize Rosharan Lights, which oscillate with light and sound in ways that reflect the nature of the Investiture that they contain.

Putting this all together: Hoid has the understanding of the waveforms that power Investiture from the Moon Scepter, the ability to perceive those waveforms via Bronze, the auditory acuity to distinguish them from Breath, and an abundant source of malleable Investiture that responds to sound in the form of Stormlight.

All he needs now is a musical instrument.

5 hours ago, ShardlessVessel said:

It's something of a consensus in the community that, for whatever reason, Hoid has been traveling to various worlds and acquiring their magics for some purpose, maybe for amassing power, or maybe as a hobby. Whenever he lands on a planet, he tries to get that magic system. However, I don't think he's simply "collecting" these magics. I've been thinking about Investiture and how it relates to rhythm and color, and I think I have a hunch on why Hoid has been acquiring the Invested Arts we've seen him collect, and it's for a very specific reason: converting Investiture between forms and manipulating raw Investiture.

We have seen Hoid acquire very specific magic systems. He has:

• Failed to become an Elantrian
    • Stolen the Moon Scepter
  • Become an Allomancer
  • Become an Awakener
  • Become a Surgebinder

Selish magics require their user to induce a specific waveform into the Dor to create a given effect. As an Elantrian, he would be able to manipulate these waveforms and study how they affect the Dor itself. The Moon Scepter is the next best thing, as it helps to convert between the local magic systems.

Allomancers give off distinct Rhythms when they burn metals and have the ability to perceive the Rhythms produced by other Invested individuals.

Awakeners of the second Heightening have perfect pitch. This helps Hoid distinguish minute details of sound. Also, though it only reaches perfection at the third Heightening, he also has enhanced color perception.

Surgebinders utilize Rosharan Lights, which oscillate with light and sound in ways that reflect the nature of the Investiture that they contain.

Putting this all together: Hoid has the understanding of the waveforms that power Investiture from the Moon Scepter, the ability to perceive those waveforms via Bronze, the auditory acuity to distinguish them from Breath, and an abundant source of malleable Investiture that responds to sound in the form of Stormlight.

You think he trying to kill the shards?

On 2/6/2022 at 1:14 PM, ShardlessVessel said:

I do not believe Hoid needs an instrument, as Illumination is the surge of auditory illusions as well. He could just create any sound he wanted, as long as he was specific about it. And given the other magics he holds, as you stated above (perfect pitch specifically), this would be a piece of cake for him.

Brandon said recently that Hoid should not be a Lightweaver, as it's "too close to various things that happened with the Dawnshards, he is playing with fire". Perhaps you have just touched on exactly why that is. 

Edited by honorblades

On 2/7/2022 at 6:28 AM, ShardlessVessel said:

No, I think he's trying to hack all the magics. Why he wants that, I don't know.

When you say it like that, it kinda sounds like he's trying to obtain the ability to manipulate investiture at a more fundamental level than even the Shards can, because he'd be able to actually change its intent to that of another Shard. Honestly, having that level of control would be insane. And if he knows enough about how each magic system is constructed, I wonder if he'd even be able to construct his own personal magic systems.

You know, I've always known Hoid was extremely powerful and influential, but I think this is the first time I've realized just how terrifying his potential is.

Edited by HSuperLee

2 minutes ago, HSuperLee said:

When you say it like that, it kinda sounds like he's trying to obtain the ability to manipulate investiture at a more fundamental level than even the Shards can, because he'd be able to actually change their intent to that of another Shard.

Oh my god. I've never thought about it this way, and I think you might be right. This is indeed crazy, and it's super on-brand for Hoid. 

1 hour ago, honorblades said:

I do not believe Hoid needs an instrument, as Illumination is the surge of auditory illusions as well. He could just create any sound he wanted, as long as he was specific about it. And given the other magics he holds, as you stated above (perfect pitch specifically), this would be a piece of cake for him.

Brandon said recently that Hoid should not be a Lightweaver, as it's "too close to various things that happened with the Dawnshards, he is playing with fire". Perhaps you have just touched on exactly why that is. 

He also is probably the only one with the knowledge to be able to whip out laser beams as a Lightweaver.

Edit: wow, I really quoted the wrong thing here. You could strike my remaining brain cell against a flint and it would fail to spark.

Edited by Invocation

So, the question I'm kind of afraid to ask. Could Hoid's motivation for learning about investiture waveforms be that he wants to find one that cancels out whatever effect prevents him from being able to harm things? I mean when he attacked Kel's cognitive shadow, he seemed to take some glee in that. Should we be very afraid that there's a possibility Hoid can and wants to find a way to override his enforced pacifism?

4 minutes ago, HSuperLee said:

Should we be very afraid that there's a possibility Hoid can and wants to find a way to override his enforced pacifism?

You must not trust yourself with me. If I have to watch this world crumble and burn to get what I need, I will do so. With tears, yes, but I would let it happen.

- Words of Radiance, Chapter 67

Yes! Yes we should!