26 minutes ago, Archer said:

Also, I just listened to the fabulous Snapshot audiobook, so I'm very excited there's a Recknoners game to be played. :D. 

Yeah, it's been a while since we've had a Reckoners game. I think the last one was QF49... which was your first game right? :P.

[OOC:  Alright, I guess Kam's going to be a tracker and an explorer who occasionally takes jobs for the Reckoners. I...have no idea why I'm doing this, except it'll make a great set up for a SAR joke I have planned which I may or may not be able to cash in on later in the game.]

Antarctica. Mcfreakin' Antarctica.

Kam hated the cold, and the news that they were meant to head down to Antarctica made him press the heel of his hands wearily against his eyes as he slumped forward in his seat, his bags packed and ready to go. One thing you could say about the Reckoners anyway: they had a deathwish, but they had the interesting jobs. There was that stint in Guatemela that had left him with puckered thorn-scars around his left ankle, and a healthy respect for keeping away from when Reckoners wanted to throw down with Epics.

No heroics, he told himself firmly. He was here to get paid.

The Reckoners, at least, also seemed to be well-connected, if their ability to send an expedition to Antarctica was any indication.

Across from him, the radio was still crackling, droning on about how Cape Horn was now submerged.

They were ants, Kam thought, living in a world of giants without conscience, the playthings of greater forces.

Maybe that was why he liked their jobs. It got him away from people, and out into the wilderness. The last place that Epics - or people, for that matter - hadn't really left their mark on. He'd gone cave diving in Norway before, and there was something about seeing a part of the world that most people hadn't, something about the last corners of the world that were mostly unknown and untouched and unmapped and pristine that left a sense of wonder and smallness in him.

Even in an age of Epics and maps, he thought, those were the things you couldn't circumscribe or control.

Antarctica felt like a plunge into the unknown, and for all he hated the cold, he couldn't help that familiar rush of excitement burning through him.

He sat there, and waited to leave.

46 minutes ago, _Stick_ said:

Looks like I don’t have to exert brain power to understand the game 

In!

I admit that's the draw :P

If there are no rules I can just do anything and chill and RP, right? :P

But no, I do have a bit of a playstyle experiment in mind for this game. I don't want to disclose it at the start (TJ, you can PM me if you're curious) but I want to see if it makes a difference :P 

Edited to add: Ah you know what I'm just gonna say it. I have a theory based on a pattern in my enriched previous games playhistory that certain things happen in games where I dgaf. (I'll explain after the game.) So I'm just going to go in and wing everything and dgaf. It's probably also better for my health (and mental health) given certain previous games.

So if you see me getting upset/guilty about a ML or actually gaf, please remind me that my job this game is to RP and dgaf. Thanks guys :P

P.S. If this is lylo, I will gaf so please don't tell me then or I will side-eye you.

Have a Wormmon of gratitude!

Spoiler

happywormmon.png.18d88b6ffe72c9a9cc7dc5bab16d3a68.png

Edited by Kasimir

17 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

So if you see me getting upset/guilty about a ML or actually gaf, please remind me that my job this game is to RP and dgaf. Thanks guys :P

The curse on Tyrian Falls may have been broken, but together we can break the curse of Kas over-commitment! :P 

3 minutes ago, _Stick_ said:

Sure, you got it :P 

thank u <3

Just now, Ashbringer said:

I will send many reminders, although the form they take may vary :P

Spoiler

vhc.jpg

Will be happy to talk about my hypothesis after the game. It's a wild theory I'm testing, but I also think taking a game easy and in dgaf/chill mode should help me deal with pressures and certain health issues stemming from previous SE games. So I'm willing to give this a go :P

As I've told TJ and am happy to tell the IM, I am committing to this regardless of alignment, which is the point of making a pre-game commitment and soliciting help to stick with dgaf :P 

Except lylo.

If it's lylo, I am gaf, y'all can deal with it >>

Yeah. I'm basically aiming for non-attachment and to just sort of wuwei (无为)/Zen the whole thing. Guilt leads to overinvestment which leads to me doing potentially unhealthy things in a game which leads to self-destruction. I'm going to break that cycle. Or try to. You guys managed to break the curse of Tyrian Falls so I can try, right? :P 

It doesn't mean I'm not going to be doing analysis at all or just telling everyone 'lol too bad just read me from RP' because that's actively unhelpful in a social deduction game. (Emphasis social.) But I'm not going to be going Up To Eleven and I'm not going to be overcommitting or getting overly emotionally engaged in the results whether or not it's a ML. The guilt isn't going to be helpful and I think I've exhausted my self-destruction quota right now. I've noticed something happens in games when I actively dgaf. It's possible shifting gears like this will help Evil Kas, but I'm fairly certain that if my hypothesis is correct, there will be an advantage for Village Kas as well, so it cancels out.

To cite a recent game, I'm looking at LG82 level of engagement, or LG80, but more detached. 

Going anywhere near the engagement or investment levels of certain AG8 players who shall remain unnamed is verboten.

46 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

You guys managed to break the curse of Tyrian Falls so I can try, right? :P 

:ph34r:

46 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

It doesn't mean I'm not going to be doing analysis at all or just telling everyone 'lol too bad just read me from RP' because that's actively unhelpful in a social deduction game.

47 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Going anywhere near the engagement or investment levels of certain AG8 players who shall remain unnamed is verboten.

7 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

People who want to purely RP are fine, this is just not the path I have chosen, and the Village has reminded me several times that if I ever dare to try to do nothing but RP again as in LG5, I will die very quickly :P

And also, just trying to suppress my thoughts and lurk and not be allowed to say stuff was very frustrating in my first game (and my first Elim game), even if it was for the greater good of the team that I did it :P

So no, I'm not going to stop myself from doing that which sparks joy. I just seek help in preventing overcommitment.

Edited to add:

Bah, I really will say it all because I worry people are getting the wrong idea. Ideally I'll be getting a happy medium of my current, usual playstyle - but I'll be venting a lot less stress, frustration, and uncertainty into the thread. I don't expect to become more closed off, but I do expect to be slinging less raw emotion around. While this is very good for Evil Kas since I wouldn't be venting emotion anyway, the problem with venting emotion is I tend to get locked down in a guilt spiral or an overcommitment spiral due to a bunch of factors, partly because it's all running through me unchecked and feeding on my other complexes. And then I end up short on sleep and low on SAN and still analysing.

I don't expect to become completely unemotional. As I said, happy medium. But I do expect to be more calm and balanced, and hopefully more decisive as I accept my limitations and just move on. As I said in a PM to another player, "Best effort basis."

If the pattern I'm spotting in the data is right, I tend to have more accurate reads in games when I'm not tying myself down with stress, anxiety, and pressure, and retreading old paths. So while the trade-off is that Evil Kas will have a bit of an easier time hiding, if my hypothesis is correct, Village Kas will be more on point without needing to continuously tie myself in knots of secondguessing, anxiety, and panic, or guilt. Either way, that emotional mix is just not healthy for me in a game in the long term. So even if this hypothesis is proven false, I think it's worth it.

Ideally, I'll be playing like I usually do, I just won't be very attached to the result. Or if I do feel the emotion, I will let it go. 

I do need you guys to help me notice if I'm losing that dgaf mode/Zen. And I need you guys to not make a big production of it for my sake, because I can and will fixate on not disappointing you guys, and then I'm back to a stress spiral one level up and potentially more guilt as I feel I'm failing.

90% of the work on this has to be done by me.

I think that's as much as I want to say on the issue, but cards on the table and all that.

@|TJ| - Appreciate a character name update, please :P 

Edited by Kasimir